Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First try at bird photography
Lens: SMC Pentax-DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Naardermeer, Netherlands ISO: 800 
Posted By: Carpon, 03-09-2017, 12:26 PM

So here my first attempts on bird photography. Not the best off light, rainy with an overcast but at least hardly any other people around. Struggling with my settings, with and without the 1.4 TC and trying to find my way. I'm reading and watching a lot of tutorials but in the end only practice will make me understand. Used to the fight for light with macro this is a whole new challenging kind of photography. And one I honestly starting to enjoy. Open for all tips and pointers.

Attached Images

Views: 852
03-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They're good, Carpon - well done!

You need to boost them by a stop in post, though. They're underexposed, probably because you just let the camera reduce everything to 18 percent grey.

03-09-2017, 01:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
They're good, Carpon - well done!

You need to boost them by a stop in post, though. They're underexposed, probably because you just let the camera reduce everything to 18 percent grey.
Thank you. Did them all manual but still learning, so +1 on the metering if I understand correctly?
Is it better to do so by upping the iso or lessen shutter speed?
03-09-2017, 03:28 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Carpon Quote
Thank you. Did them all manual but still learning, so +1 on the metering if I understand correctly?
Is it better to do so by upping the iso or lessen shutter speed?
Manual's great for wildlife, Carpon, because you can set it and forget it until the conditions change.

Yes, you could set it to +1 for the situation of the last of your four photos, less than that for your second.

In broad daylight you can double the ISO rather than sacrifice aperture or shutter speed.

The guiding principle should be, "Do the white things in my picture actually look white, or a muddy grey?"

If you're happy with postprocessing, you can instead just paint your birds an extra strop in brightness, leaving the sky as it is so it isn't more blown.

I like the bird with the black throat!

Last edited by clackers; 03-09-2017 at 07:08 PM.
03-10-2017, 02:40 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Manual's great for wildlife, Carpon, because you can set it and forget it until the conditions change.

Yes, you could set it to +1 for the situation of the last of your four photos, less than that for your second.

In broad daylight you can double the ISO rather than sacrifice aperture or shutter speed.

The guiding principle should be, "Do the white things in my picture actually look white, or a muddy grey?"

If you're happy with postprocessing, you can instead just paint your birds an extra strop in brightness, leaving the sky as it is so it isn't more blown.

I like the bird with the black throat!
Great advice, thanks. Will try it next time I'm out there, hopefully with better weather, but he can plan my day off not the weather, doesn't stop me to practice
03-10-2017, 03:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome to bird photography! The small birds you used as subject matter here are really difficult to capture well when you first get into bird pics. Add to it drab rainy weather and its it bumps up the challenge alot! Work on that exposure a bit and try returning in better light if you can. Some people think of sea gulls as boring photo material but if you work on them as practice you can learn alot about exposure issues. They are a much larger target as well which helps a bit when learning to shoot birds.

I also like the black bellied one. The little guy on the cat tail is also nice.

Bird photography is what got me into photography...I can understand why you are liking it. Its a great hobby!
Al
03-10-2017, 03:36 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good captures.....

03-10-2017, 04:50 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Welcome to bird photography! The small birds you used as subject matter here are really difficult to capture well when you first get into bird pics. Add to it drab rainy weather and its it bumps up the challenge alot! Work on that exposure a bit and try returning in better light if you can. Some people think of sea gulls as boring photo material but if you work on them as practice you can learn alot about exposure issues. They are a much larger target as well which helps a bit when learning to shoot birds.

I also like the black bellied one. The little guy on the cat tail is also nice.

Bird photography is what got me into photography...I can understand why you are liking it. Its a great hobby!
Al
Thank you for your kind words, it sure is great to do.

---------- Post added 03-10-17 at 12:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Good captures.....
Thank you Sir