Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
10 Likes  #1
The Frisian coastline; a small collection
Lens: DA*16-50, DFA150-450 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: The Netherlands, Fryslân, Friesland ISO: 100 
Posted By: Fries, 03-12-2017, 02:57 AM

It has been a while since I posted some photo's over here. Work has been more time consuming. But I have been given more opportunities to shoot the most beautiful places in my province. But that's video and personally I prefer shooting stills. So I have a small photographic journey for you along the coast of the province of Fryslân/Friesland in the Netherlands.

1. Wierum 1

2. Ternaard, it Skoar

3. Wierum 2

4. Wierum 3

5. Wierum 4

6. Sucking up gas (Wierum 5)

7. Noordsvaarder, the island of Terschelling. Part of a time lapse sequence.

8. Posthuiswad, the island of Vlieland. Part of a time lapse sequence.

9. Sand sculpted by the wind, Noordsvaarder Terschelling.

Views: 1,650
03-12-2017, 03:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very good series. Especially #1 with the spit of sand and the yellow sky reflected in the water extending from it.
03-12-2017, 04:20 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Wierum 1
Liking this one especially, with its diagonal symmetry reflection of the sky.
03-12-2017, 04:27 AM   #4
Forum Member

Very nice series! It's so true that every place is different from another. I don't think we have anything like that here in Italy.

03-12-2017, 07:58 AM   #5

That is a great series. Encourages me to visit the Waddeneilanden once more!
03-12-2017, 08:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Another wide angle Master Class, I see! Two, Seven, and Nine are really special I think--hope they get printed.
03-12-2017, 09:26 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful shots of a beautiful spot.

03-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always enjoy your photography Remco, so relaxing to view.
03-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #9
Pentaxian

very, very good
03-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another superb series, Remco!
03-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Very good series. Especially #1 with the spit of sand and the yellow sky reflected in the water extending from it.
Bruce, thanks! The light was slowly fading and sky became increasingly colorful. With the outgoing tide and the smal, reflective film of water over the mud one can really create something beautiful. So often landscape photography is the art of being at the right place at the right time!

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Liking this one especially, with its diagonal symmetry reflection of the sky.
Thanks! Normally I tend to shoot with the wind head on ore from behind when I use a 10 stops ND filter with cloud cover. But I wanted to follow the line of old wooden logs. And that gamble payed of!

QuoteOriginally posted by WhiteFeather Quote
Very nice series! It's so true that every place is different from another. I don't think we have anything like that here in Italy.
Andy, thanks! Google maps and the satellite view are you friend to discover new places. Especially along large lakes and seas you can identify spots with photographic qualities. Watch the weather and take enough time to scout the location ahead of the moment the light is right. Those spots are probably different from what you see here, but that does not have to stop you from highlighting the beauty of your local landscape.

QuoteOriginally posted by wpvv Quote
That is a great series. Encourages me to visit the Waddeneilanden once more!
Thanks Wim! My next project will be a documentary about the island of Ameland and I've heard the local tourism counsel (VVV) will be approached to finance it. So I am glad I now have some concrete evidence that I am able to encourage people to visit the islands! Don't forget to spend some time at the mainland coast too. If you want some pointers about locations shoot me a pm and I'll try to help you out.

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Another wide angle Master Class, I see! Two, Seven, and Nine are really special I think--hope they get printed.
Thanks! You give me to much credit though. I wouldn't call it a Master Class with so much photographic talent about that outshines my abilities. It happens far to often to me that just at the moment I think I have somewhat mastered photography, an image grabs my attention that clearly is above and beyond my current skill set. Don't know about printing. Once in a while a print a book of the shots I am most satisfied with and some will end up at a online platform where people can purchase prints. But I suck at promoting my self so that hasn't really panned out for me yet...

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Beautiful shots of a beautiful spot.
Thanks! I overlooked this spot for years until some locals pointed me in the right direction.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
I always enjoy your photography Remco, so relaxing to view.
Thank you very much Bob! Missed seeing you here fore some time and wondered if everything was alright. Glad to encounter you here again!

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
very, very good
Thank you! As somewhat of a Scandinavia 'addict' (mostly Northern Norway, but I have been to Abisko too) I know you have a stunning country to photograph.

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
Another superb series, Remco!
Norbert, thank you my friend!

Cheers,

Remco

Last edited by Fries; 03-12-2017 at 06:12 PM.
03-12-2017, 04:17 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lovely series and yes, I sometimes cross the Afsluitdijk because I love shooting in Friesland too!
03-12-2017, 04:19 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Normally I tend to shoot with the wind head on ore from behind when I use a 10 stops ND filter with cloud cover
I have no idea what all that means... but hey, it's still a great picture.

BTW please don't try to explain it... telling the old Kerrowdown stuff, is bit like teaching an "old dog new tricks".
03-12-2017, 10:29 PM   #14
eva
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nice.My fav no.9.
03-13-2017, 04:21 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Lovely series and yes, I sometimes cross the Afsluitdijk because I love shooting in Friesland too!
Thanks! I am glad to be living in Friesland although the landscape and nature is under pressure.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I have no idea what all that means... but hey, it's still a great picture.

BTW please don't try to explain it... telling the old Kerrowdown stuff, is bit like teaching an "old dog new tricks".
Don't be to fast putting the blame on your learning abilities! English not being my first language could also play a part.

QuoteOriginally posted by eva Quote
Nice.My fav no.9.
Thanks Eva! I did get a lot of favorable responses on social media after I posted that photo.

I've mentioned two of these photo's have been used for a time lapse. An example of how I incorporate that in a broader video item can bee seen here: http://www.omropfryslan.nl/nijs/704646-fideo-op-en-paad-mei-boskwachter-iris-de-boer-op-skylge. The whole video has been shot with a Pentax K-3.