Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Miami Skyline
Lens: DA 50mm 1.8 Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Miami (Off Port) ISO: 1250 Shutter Speed: 1/15s Aperture: F2 
Posted By: WhiteFeather, 03-12-2017, 11:06 AM

I like a lot this one. Shot in RAW and processed with LR5. Taken handheld from a cruise ship while leaving Miami, with K-30 and my new 50/1.8.

Comments and critics welcomed!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Views: 841
03-12-2017, 02:49 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Awesome, I love it. Like city floating on... nothingness.
03-12-2017, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WhiteFeather Quote
Comments and critics welcomed!
Great capture, if it were mine... a couple of wee tweaks, crop to 16x9 format, horizon onto a third and dehaze.

What do you think?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
03-12-2017, 11:45 PM   #4
dewolf

QuoteOriginally posted by sewerynthegreat Quote
I'm not normally into landscape, but that's just downright cool lookin nice shot, real nice.

03-12-2017, 11:50 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sewerynthegreat Quote
Thank you! My same thought. It was pitch black, no moon, the sea only slightly broken by the wind and no reflections, not even from the ship's lights.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Great capture, if it were mine... a couple of wee tweaks, crop to 16x9 format, horizon onto a third and dehaze.

What do you think?
Thanks Kerrowdown! Excellent suggestion regarding cropping and decentering (it's my wallpaper now ) as regards dehazing, I'm not sure. The somewhat gray sky created by the pollution of city lights adds a little magic to the picture and helps contrasting with the black sea in my opinion. But even dehazed looks good!
03-13-2017, 01:39 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dewolf Quote
I'm not normally into landscape, but that's just downright cool lookin nice shot, real nice.

Many thanks dewolf, your comment is especially appreciated!
03-13-2017, 01:18 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WhiteFeather Quote
as regards dehazing
The dehaze I used was really trying to enhance the contrast and to enrich the blacks etc on buildings, for me the slightly darkened sky was a bonus.

But if you like the sky as in the original image, you could always just try use a localised dehaze, on the horizon and buildings, it's your shot enjoy it, cos it's a good one.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 03-13-2017 at 01:45 PM.
03-14-2017, 12:20 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
The dehaze I used was really trying to enhance the contrast and to enrich the blacks etc on buildings, for me the slightly darkened sky was a bonus.

But if you like the sky as in the original image, you could always just try use a localised dehaze, on the horizon and buildings, it's your shot enjoy it, cos it's a good one.

Good suggestion Kerrowdown. I will experiment with a localised dehaze on the buildings. Thanks for suggestion and comments, much appreciated!