Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1st Wedding Shots
Posted By: rmtagg, 08-09-2008, 12:50 PM

Yesterday I was a 3rd shooter at the first wedding I have ever shot. The photog let me shoot for a few hours as long as I stayed out of the way. I learned this is not an easy assignment. Very difficult to get good pics but it did force me to be very creative. So here are a few. I know I blew out some of the white in some, I still have a lot to learn.....

Views: 2,193
08-09-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Added

Last edited by rmtagg; 08-09-2008 at 01:37 PM.
08-09-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
Inactive Account

They look good Rosemary. I quite like the candid style shots in the mirror.

I too have a wedding to shoot at the end of the month (my mothers remarrying). I have never even shot portraits of people let alone a wedding so am very nervous of doing a bad job. The wedding is in Italy though so that will be nice

Great pics
08-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you. I was so nervous too! It was so hot in the room with the brie and the bridesmaids. Plus her mom and his mom and her g-ma were all in there too. We thought we were going to melt. The room had a large mirror in one corner. a large mirror on one wall and 2 on another. Made it difficult to shoot and not get in the pic. Plus all the bridesmaids, here mom & his mom had their cameras and were blasting away! What an experience
Since Tracy was the second shooter she was in charge of the getting ready shots. I had to stay out of her way but still get shots in. I so need to practice more with my flash. Everything I had learned went right out of my head. I had blue pics, yellow pics and some good ones, lol So if you haven't used your flash much, practice with it would be my suggestion. All in all a good time. I did not get to shoot the entire wedding. This couple wanted all their formal pics done first. So we started at 2:30 and I stayed until 6 when the ceremony was to start. I have to tell you, I learned a lot and know there is a lot more to learn too Nice thing was they did use to of my pose ideas
Now, I can't imagine anything being bad about shooting a wedding in Italy!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant see what you post!!!!!!!!!! Oh, and my thoughts, just enjoy and try not to be nervous

08-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Thanks for the advice Rosemary, very encouraging I cant wait to get out to Italy, have never been there before. I have armed myself with 3 4gb cards so hopefully, if I fill them, I should get some decent shots.

As for using flash I never have. I mostly shoot landscapes at the moment so theres no need. I will have a play with it though before I go.

Thanks again.
08-09-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These are really nice Rosemary. The very last one I think is fantastic. They all will make a nice addition to what the other shooters took. I hope I can tag along at a wedding sometime and try shooting one as well.

One more thing to add to your already large repetoire. . .

Great job!
08-09-2008, 01:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
These are really nice Rosemary. The very last one I think is fantastic. They all will make a nice addition to what the other shooters took. I hope I can tag along at a wedding sometime and try shooting one as well.

One more thing to add to your already large repetoire. . .

Great job!
Thanks Mel. Just start calling around, someone will say yes I hope they do make a nice addition. Their style of shooting is very nice but more traditional so these will be something different to add in the mix.
08-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #8
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rmtagg Quote
Thanks Mel. Just start calling around, someone will say yes I hope they do make a nice addition. Their style of shooting is very nice but more traditional so these will be something different to add in the mix.

OMG you mean talk to actual people??? And probably ones that I don't know??? The horror! That's asking entirely too much of shy little me!

Oh and btw, I found us a Scottish festival in Sept here in VA!

08-09-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
Damn Brit

Good work under tough conditions Rosemary. I've shot at a friends wedding and I'll probably do a few more for the experience. I could never do it as a job though................. unless my clients were all celebrities and paid me loads of money. There I go, dreaming again.
Gary
08-09-2008, 01:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
OMG you mean talk to actual people??? And probably ones that I don't know??? The horror! That's asking entirely too much of shy little me!

Oh and btw, I found us a Scottish festival in Sept here in VA!
Yep, little o'l you what is the worst they could say?? NO?? That is how I looked at it.
Ohhhhhhh, I will have to see if I can get down there. Hubby has been down sized from his job
08-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Good work under tough conditions Rosemary. I've shot at a friends wedding and I'll probably do a few more for the experience. I could never do it as a job though................. unless my clients were all celebrities and paid me loads of money. There I go, dreaming again.
Gary
Nothing wrong with dreaming Gary And with your charm that just might come true, lol Thanks, I have to learn a lot more esp how to shoot in the strong sun/shade thing. Co course the 2 main shooters had better spot with better lighting but still I think I could do better with the sun/shade pics.
08-09-2008, 02:35 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
I found us a Scottish festival in Sept here in VA!
A Scottish festival!? What does that entail?

I guess it seems a bit strange to me because im from Scotland. A proper Scottish festival should have good folk music, lots of whiskey and much dancing in my opinion, not the cheesey 'highland fling' and 'tossing the caber' affair
08-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice series, great idea to use the mirror!
08-09-2008, 04:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Great series. You certainly have a perspective
08-09-2008, 05:52 PM   #15
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thomasjmpark Quote
A Scottish festival!? What does that entail?

I guess it seems a bit strange to me because im from Scotland. A proper Scottish festival should have good folk music, lots of whiskey and much dancing in my opinion, not the cheesey 'highland fling' and 'tossing the caber' affair
Who cares! So long as there's men in kilts I'm happy!

(JK - this is a reference to a post of some shots by JCSullivan from a festival up his way, and seeing how this is America, it's probably the latter rather than the former).

Yes I would imagine it would seem strange to you. But strange to me was a former co-worker from Ireland, who went home to Ireland to visit family and spend a couple evenings in a country-western bar line dancing. In Ireland.

Now back to the wedding shots.