Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Tilting at windmills
Lens: DA 18-135, DA 15 Ltd. Rokinon 8mm FE Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Morse, Saskatchewan ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: RGlasel, 03-15-2017, 06:35 PM

All photos are processed the same in Lightroom, -1 stop exposure, -38 highlights, +25 clarity. Other than the image taken with a Rokinon 8mm fisheye, which is identified as an "A" manual focus lens, Lightroom's lens profiles are also applied.

First, the DA 18-135 zoomed to 60mm and rotated slightly to make the windmills 90 degrees vertical, which removed a sliver of space to the left of the wooden power pole.

Then I drove closer to the windmills and used the DA 15 Ltd. Look at the windmills on the right and a row of power poles far in the distance on the right. This is after some "straightening" from the built-in lens profile in Lightroom.

Then the fisheye view, for this image I walked to within 100 feet of the windmill entrance. Once your eyes adjust to the curved horizon, the windmills and power poles on the right are relatively straight.

Views: 488
03-16-2017, 08:16 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice series. No 2 is your best from my view, though I would crop the two wind mills on the right, or just clone out the far right one.
03-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for commenting BigDave. I would be smart to follow your advice if I wanted a shot of a solitary windmill, the DA 15 really captures the open sky and fields without applying mind bending distortion. However, if I want to include enough windmills to get a sense of them being in an array, it doesn't work so well. I've had the DA 15 Ltd. for almost two years now, but hadn't fully apreciated how much it distorts objects on the edges of the frame. The ice-covered lake in the distance on the left and the high clouds don't provide visual clues that make that distortion obvious, but the windmills and power poles certainly do.