Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Otter Day in the Park
Lens: Tamron 300 2.8 AF - F 1.7c AF Adapter Camera: K-1, K-3 Photo Location: Algonquin Park ISO: 100 
Posted By: normhead, 03-19-2017, 07:28 PM

It was Otter day in the park. These guys entertained a crowd of us.
K-3 and K-1, Tamron 300 2.8 and F 1.7x AF adapter

What good is a day out shooting if you have no one to talk to? My compatriots.

Otters have friends too..

This guy came up with two fishes this size. They were both catfishes. Both about the same size.

Even one of the photographers went for a rest in his car. It's exhausting stuff.

An old beaver lodge can be a great spot for a snooze.

Curled up, sound asleep. taking in the sun.

Costello Creek, showing the beaver lodge in question. I suspect the little guy lives in it the old beaver lodge.

Last edited by normhead; 03-19-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Views: 808
03-19-2017, 09:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a great series, loved every one of your photos.
03-19-2017, 09:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Norm

Not trying to be obnoxious (but I probably am)

I am intrigued what might have caused the purple shift/fringing. Might it be the Tamron 300 2.8 and F 1.7x AF adapter combination not playing well with each other ? I am not trying to be critical in any way I simple just would like to know. An experienced techo like you could perhaps shed some light on it. (Pun not intended).

I have the Pentax 1.7 AF adapter (same as yours ?) and have not noticed any such colour shifts if indeed it is responsible for it, but then again I only use the adapter with Pentax glass.

Cheers
03-20-2017, 01:13 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Just a privilege to be able to witness this animal at such close quarters.

03-20-2017, 06:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Wonderful series as usual Norm. They have to be the cutest little guys.
03-20-2017, 06:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
What a great series, loved every one of your photos.
Thanks bob

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi Norm

Not trying to be obnoxious (but I probably am)

I am intrigued what might have caused the purple shift/fringing. Might it be the Tamron 300 2.8 and F 1.7x AF adapter combination not playing well with each other ? I am not trying to be critical in any way I simple just would like to know. An experienced techo like you could perhaps shed some light on it. (Pun not intended).

I have the Pentax 1.7 AF adapter (same as yours ?) and have not noticed any such colour shifts if indeed it is responsible for it, but then again I only use the adapter with Pentax glass.

Cheers
The snow is like a landscape covering light source on days like this, extremely bright, to the point the K-1 images were much better than the K-3 images. Sometimes 2 stops of Dynamic range makes a difference. That being said, the Tamron does purple fringe as much as any lens I have and this series inspired a "purple fringe" preset. I must have not noticed some of it, it's been removed from some images. So, yes the Tammy PFs, but so does my heavily corrected DA*60-250 on occasion. I'd say the Tammy and DA*200 are probably the worst, and the 1.7 definitely magnifies it 1.7 times if used. But I could go back today in much less contrasty conditions and get images with no purple fringing. There's always a price to be paid for shooting in bright overhead sunlight with a snow background.

But bottom line, worst PF day of my career. It would be difficult to explain how bad it was. I had images where the whole out line of the animal was purple and the brown out of focus grass was all CA green. with 400 files, having to correct all the fringing got real tiring real quick. I could go back today, lithe cloud cover but still bright, go in the morning instead of the afternoon for a different angle to the sun and have no fringing.

But that being said, I've seen badly purple fanged images in magazines, purple fringing is only an issue if you hav better non-purple fringed images. ANd for story telling, it makes no difference at all. I guess that's obnoxious part. It's sad who to see people who can't appreciate the image for what it is. My Tess is like that too. If it's purple fringed she won't look at it. She misses out on a lot of great images.

If you're looking at the purple fringing, you programmed yourself into focussing on the un-important.

This is the kind of stuff I was dealing with, I should have saved some of the bad ones for examples.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Just a privilege to be able to witness this animal at such close quarters.
There was thin ice and a very chilly creek between me and them. They seemed to just go about their business. I stayed away from he other photogs, and at one point they were taking videos of the two of the rolling around I'm friendly tussle.

Last edited by normhead; 03-20-2017 at 07:38 AM.
03-21-2017, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
More pics here
Otter_day_part_2 - PentaxForums.com

And below.
Today with the K-3 and Tamron SP AF 300 2.8 and F 1.7x AF adapter
100 ISO, ƒ5.6, AV
With this combo I rarely notice I'm even shooting in AF.

I'm posting these only in the threads where folks have shown interest. The common folks have seen enough otter images. It's not like they are cute little squirrels or something.