Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Otter_day_part_2
Lens: Tamron 300 2.8 AF - F 1.7c AF Adapter Camera: K-1-K-3 Photo Location: Algonquin park -Opeongo Road 
Posted By: normhead, 03-20-2017, 02:18 PM

All image taken with the K-3 and Tamron SP AF 3002.8 LD [IF] and 1.7x, K-1 images taken with the Tamron SP AF 3002.8 LD [IF] and DFA 28-105.

K-1 ISO 100 ISO
K-3 ISO 400 ISO

The day started with me all by myself waiting for the otters. I saw one on the ice, turned the car around, got into position and waited two hours, and never saw another one.
My lonely tripod on Costello creek. It's not much of a conversationalist.

After that up to the Costello creek picnic area, a KM away. The Grey Jays turned up. They were happy to see me, I was happy to see them. Finally something to photograph.

Some of my favourite Jays. K-1 and Tamron SP AF 3002.8 LD [IF] (no TC necessary/)

A guy stopped to chat on the way out. I told him about being skunked at both Cameron Road and Costello Creek. I went off to the Spruce Boardwalk Trail. I emptied my feed bag for a guy trying for Grey Jay images. And then decided to head home. But the guy from Costello creek turned up and told me there were shooters on Opeongo Road along Costello Creek shooting otters.

When I turned up they were standing here.

The last dude wouldn't let em photograph him. Just turned and walked away when I politely asked permission. So I took it from the car with at 500mm instead of up close and portrait with the K-1 and 28-105. You know I didn't have to ask don't you buddy? You just penalized me for asking. Well I like this shot better than your ugly face anyway.
My guess, he was skipping work to be there.

They were getting images like this.

I got bored real quick and went off to get photos of some sleeping Canada geese. This is one of the few where one of them actually had put his head up to look around.

Sleeping critters sort of got to be the theme of the day.

At one point I realized there was an otter sleeping on the shore, but they couldn't see him, blocked by a beaver dam.
I moved to may favourite position from the day before. And started shooting. K-3 and Tamron SP AF 3002.8 LD [IF] with the F 1.7x adapter.
These are all images taken when he heard a noise, usually one of the other photographers, and put his head up to look around. On one hand, I hate that they disturbed him, on the other, if they hadn't made these noises all I'd have would be pictures of a sleeping otter.

Most of the time he was curled up sleeping. At least he lifted his head a bit for this one.

Anyway, once they heard my shutter clicking it didn't take them long to join me. No need to say thanks dudes.
After I left I took one last photo from the car, of the dudes now occupying my spot. I hope they enjoyed it.

Last edited by normhead; 03-20-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Views: 242
03-21-2017, 02:05 AM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My lonely tripod on Costello creek
Trust you don't use metal spiked feet on that tripod...
03-21-2017, 05:44 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Trust you don't use metal spiked feet on that tripod...
The ice is usually flat, no need to worry about it slipping away.
03-21-2017, 06:15 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The ice is usually flat, no need to worry about it slipping away.
No more worried about cracking it... with metal spiked feet.

03-21-2017, 07:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I like your way of sharing, it's like a trip report.
03-21-2017, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
As a canoe person, writing trip reports has always been part of the experience. If your aren't sharing trip reports for those who come after, you're not doing your job.

---------- Post added 03-21-17 at 12:17 PM ----------

Today with the K-3 and Tamron SP AF 300 2.8 and F 1.7x AF adapter
100 ISO, ƒ5.6, AV
With this combo I rarely notice I'm even shooting in AF.

I'm posting these only in the threads where folks have shown interest. The common folks have seen enough otter images. It's not like they are cute little squirrels or something.

And now I'm done the first run processing, adding a few more keepers.

The rejects are trashed, I haven't selected any for printing, may they rest in peace.

Last edited by normhead; 03-22-2017 at 06:38 PM.