Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Beaver
Lens: DA*300 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Heinz Wildlife Refuge 
Posted By: KiloHotelphoto, 03-23-2017, 03:40 PM

Got my first chance at photographing beavers today. I was just about ready to call it a day when I spotted this young beaver cleaning up then taking a nap. It had no clue I was there or just didn't care, it was funny to watch it sleep and at one point looked like it was going to tip over. After about 20 minutes of watching this one I saw another swim up, I was only able to get two shots of it. This one was twice the size and definitely noticed and cared I was there, it dove and I didn't see it again.

I thought that was going to be the best thing I saw today but when walking back to my car I saw a Peregrine falcon take out a red wing black bird. It happened so fast I had no chance of capturing it but was able to get a few shots of it flying away with it's lunch.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Views: 731
03-23-2017, 05:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Very jealous! I have always wanted to take some good beaver pics here. We have them here but at best I get to see a distant ripple as they swim away. You got some great pics!
Al
03-23-2017, 05:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Someone posted that it's a muskrat so I looked them up and I think it is a muskrat, but that comment is gone now. I could not see the tail of the small one but had pictures of the hind legs and they are not webbed like a beavers. I will just have to keep going back and looking for the beavers.
03-23-2017, 05:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Someone posted that it's a muskrat so I looked them up and I think it is a muskrat, but that comment is gone now. I could not see the tail of the small one but had pictures of the hind legs and they are not webbed like a beavers. I will just have to keep going back and looking for the beavers.
Afraid so.... the teeth in the first pic looked so big i thought beaver too! Just a little guy..Lol.

Do a google search on "beaver teeth" and "muskrat teeth" ...

Still...you got some some great muskrat pics ! Maybe not what you thought you had but doesnt mean they are any less of a cool set of pics!
Al

03-24-2017, 01:10 AM   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey - great pictures of a muskrat anyway!
03-24-2017, 06:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cute little fellow. They are pretty elusive creatures too so it was great that you got those shots. Well done.