Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
A few from the studio
Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Québec 
Posted By: bdery, 03-24-2017, 05:01 AM

These images were shot on a K-1 with the F50 F1.7, FA77 and 16-85. Enjoy!

Views: 710
03-24-2017, 05:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I love the high-key lighting on the background of these images but the subjects look a little washed out on my laptop. I played around with one of the images to bring out the subject more. Not sure what your post processing software can do but here are the steps I used.

1. Adjust the middle gamma setting in Levels to brighten the subject more.

2. Then, using Layers and Unsharp Mask, here is a fun post processing tip provided to us by Benjamin Kanarek.

A. Duplicate the base layer
- Apply Unsharp Mask with settings of Radius 50 and Strength 15
B Duplicate the 1st duplicate layer
- Apply Unsharp Mask with settings of Radius 0.3 and Strength 300
- Change the Blend Mode of this layer to Soft Light
- Adjust the Opacity of the layer to your liking. If the colors are too saturated, you can convert this layer to B&W.

This is the result.

Tim
03-24-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Tim, thank you for your suggestions. I use Lightroom and Gimp when needed to edit, but try to stick to Lightroom most of the time. I think your editing looks good (at least on my uncalibrated office monitor), but a tad overdone for my taste. I'll see if I can do better in post from my side.
03-25-2017, 05:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Tim, thank you for your suggestions. I use Lightroom and Gimp when needed to edit, but try to stick to Lightroom most of the time. I think your editing looks good (at least on my uncalibrated office monitor), but a tad overdone for my taste. I'll see if I can do better in post from my side.
You should be able to get better results working from your original file. You might not even need the first step at all if the light is better balanced than in the image you posted. Post an update if you get something you really like.

Tim

03-27-2017, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here is what I came up with with further post-processing. Using Lightroom, I mainly played with vibrance, saturation and clarity. It's more subtle than your edit, but it's true that it brings up some features better.