Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Bad Dad
Lens: 31mm Limited Camera: Pentax K-1 Photo Location: Peak District ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: Peter Nutkins, 03-29-2017, 07:42 AM

[IMG][/IMG]
My lovely wife was off visiting her mum so it was an ideal opportunity to nip out and take some snaps.

Wanting to help my children appreciate the beauty of the Peak District, I decided that the best thing to do would be to climb up to Over Owler Tor. It looked sunny outside so we could just jump in Patty (our car) and get going.

The children were not so keen…”It may be cold and windy and we would have to walk.”

This made me even more determined. Children these days need vigorous exercise and outdoor fun. This was an opportunity to be a great dad and instil a life long love of the outdoors.

Over the past few months I have relied heavily on my iPhone Sat Nav. I miss maps. I used to know where I was heading, and had a sense of direction. So it was back to basics for this trip. No Sat Nav, and no map….just sort of head in the right direction.

There is a free car park near Padley Gorge that leads to a great composition. I headed towards Hathersage. Remarkably we got to the spot without any issues. Well, if you do not count the resistance within the car to actually doing something with the day.

The free car park was full. We headed on to Surprise View car park.

We jumped out, paid the parking and headed up to Mother Cap. It was sunny. It was cold.

I secretly wished that I had brought coats. It looked so nice at home that I forgot we might need them. Daniel had said something about them before we left...I just had not been listening. I reassured my children that once they got moving they would warm up.

We made our way up to Mother Cap. As we rose above the tree line the wind started to bite. It was a cold wind.

Children have a way of looking at you that confirms that in their eyes you are probably a bad dad. “No worries”, I encouraged them, “we can shelter behind Mother Cap”.

On reflection that was not that encouraging!

Once we were hidden from the wind, behind the impressive rock stack, we all felt better. It was warmish without the wind and I soon started to eye up the peak of Over Owler Tor.

We set out again.

The wind was getting stronger.

Walkers were passing us on their way down. They all wore sensible water and wind proof jackets and hats. I felt like I should have been wearing a ‘Bad Dad’ badge.

Once we go to the top my children hid in the rocks. I promised that I would take just one picture and we could head home.

That was when it started to hail.

It was a strange experience, being in sunshine and hail at the same time. The hail being driven by the strong (and chilling) wind.

Looking back I could see my youngest three huddled together for warmth. Maybe this was not my best idea ever.

I took a quick snap and then we made our way back to the warmth of Patty.

We did not speak much on the drive home. I had turned from a great dad to 'Bad Dad'.

I do hope you enjoy the image I took - not convinced myself....

Have a great day.

Peter
Views: 905
03-29-2017, 12:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Beautiful Picture Peter and Great story! Your Kids will remember I am sure for the rest of their lives. I'm wondering what your lovely wife thought of your outing with the kids?

al
03-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's a story that won't be forgotten too easily. The picture turned out a treat but if the kids could file for divorce you would be out of there.
03-29-2017, 01:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It's amazing how not being properly dressed or prepared can ruin your day. Just keep making a joke about it and they'll get over it. I'll never forget the first time my dad and I drove on the ice of the frozen lake to go ice fishing, him telling me to roll my window down in case we went through, that I'd never get my door open, but could slip through the open window. If you don't scare the crap out of your family once in a while, I think you're doing a disservice as a husband and father. It demonstrates they're capable of overcoming adversity, challenges, fear and discomfort.

03-29-2017, 01:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks for sharing the story and the photo. An active, learning-by-doing education for your kids about weather and bringing extra clothes
03-29-2017, 03:09 PM   #6
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good pic and even better story! I think most of us have had similar experiences. It gets worse. As they grow up they will re-tell it with all kinds of embellishments. You need a line like "You could never join the SAS if you couldn't survive a little hike like that."
03-29-2017, 03:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's a nice enough shot :-) Although there is some humor in your story it should also serve as a warning to be a bit more prepared.

03-30-2017, 04:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
I'm wondering what your lovely wife thought of your outing with the kids?

al
No comment

Glad you liked the story and snap!

Peter

---------- Post added 30th Mar 2017 at 04:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
That's a story that won't be forgotten too easily. The picture turned out a treat but if the kids could file for divorce you would be out of there.
Thanks...I am still on the naughty step

---------- Post added 30th Mar 2017 at 04:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
I'll never forget the first time my dad and I drove on the ice of the frozen lake to go ice fishing, him telling me to roll my window down in case we went through, that I'd never get my door open, but could slip through the open window. If you don't scare the crap out of your family once in a while, I think you're doing a disservice as a husband and father. It demonstrates they're capable of overcoming adversity, challenges, fear and discomfort.
Wow - I love this

Thanks for making me laugh so much I cried!

Peter

---------- Post added 30th Mar 2017 at 04:43 AM ----------

I'll never forget the first time my dad and I drove on the ice of the frozen lake to go ice fishing, him telling me to roll my window down in case we went through, that I'd never get my door open, but could slip through the open window. If you don't scare the crap out of your family once in a while, I think you're doing a disservice as a husband and father. It demonstrates they're capable of overcoming adversity, challenges, fear and discomfort.
Wow - I love this

Peter

---------- Post added 30th Mar 2017 at 04:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexBW Quote
Thanks for sharing the story and the photo. An active, learning-by-doing education for your kids about weather and bringing extra clothes
Thanks Alex...it might be me that needs to do the learning

---------- Post added 30th Mar 2017 at 04:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It's a nice enough shot :-) Although there is some humor in your story it should also serve as a warning to be a bit more prepared.
Thank you...I am trying. Or, as my family would say, 'I am very trying'.

Peter

---------- Post added 30th Mar 2017 at 04:48 AM ----------

Wow - I love this

Peter

---------- Post added 30th Mar 2017 at 04:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Good pic and even better story! I think most of us have had similar experiences. It gets worse. As they grow up they will re-tell it with all kinds of embellishments. You need a line like "You could never join the SAS if you couldn't survive a little hike like that."
What a great line...I will keep that when if something like this ever happens again
Peter
03-30-2017, 04:57 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a father a bit like you. He took us to some wild and wonderful places. Perhaps not always 100% prepared but by heck we learned to cope. He (and mother) instilled in all their children a love of the outdoors.that lasts to this day. I hope I have passed a little of it on to my children.
03-30-2017, 04:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I had a father a bit like you. He took us to some wild and wonderful places. Perhaps not always 100% prepared but by heck we learned to cope. He (and mother) instilled in all their children a love of the outdoors.that lasts to this day. I hope I have passed a little of it on to my children.
Thanks Bruce...I am sure you have .

Peter