Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Today's bird shots
Posted By: Adam, 02-17-2007, 06:16 PM

I've never really done bird shots, but I had the chance when shooting landscapes today and I gave it a try! All the photos were taken with the FA* 80-200mm. I won't post the EXIF data since they're just snapshots, but I managed to hand-hold the lens

BTW, I came accross a copy of this gem on eBay today

What do you think?
Views: 2,307
02-17-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Adam, they are great shots. The colour is definitely rich. The 2nd pic could have been sharper (never mind about my whining after a marathon work shift). You make me so jealous of your new Fa* 80-200! I can only dream of owning Da* 50-135 instead (maybe this is too short the reach)

p.s. Mike, are you thinking of selling your second copy at all?

James
02-17-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The sharpness was really hard to control because of the lens's weight, but I still think the shot came out well composition-wise! These birds kept on running away from me, so it was tough

I got my copy from Stan (from Stan's photo site), and you could consider me damn lucky for sniffing out the offer. I had contacted Mike earlier, but he wouldn't part with his. I almost consider 200mm too short for the purpose, but keep in mind that 50-135mm on digital roughly corresponds to 80-200mm on film.

Here's the eBay listing I saw: eBay: SMC Pentax FA Pro 80-200 2.8 IF ED RARE LENS (item 120087901805 end time Feb-20-07 20:41:30 PST)

Pretty scary...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-17-2007, 08:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The 1st shot has that fantastic colour rendition in the backdrop - great composition

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
These birds kept on running away from me, so it was tough
That is the whole fun of birding though ...

This is great stuff. Thanks for this news. I am dreaming of getting this lens for some time since Lance and Mike kept posting their shots with images sharp like razor and bokeh rich as cream crop.

Da*50-135 might have been great for a BBQ part snap shots or wedding reception photos. I doubt Super sonic motor is that necessary for this kind of focal length range. I also think Da*16-50 really does not need Super sonic motor either. Da*70-250 would definitely need SSM but it is a bit too dark...

p.s. why does pentax have all these funny focal lengths for primes?? Like Fa 43 mm ltd or Fa 77mm ltd or Da 40mm or Da 21mm Funny phenomenon

02-17-2007, 09:20 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote

This is great stuff. Thanks for this news. I am dreaming of getting this lens for some time since Lance and Mike kept posting their shots with images sharp like razor and bokeh rich as cream crop.

Da*50-135 might have been great for a BBQ part snap shots or wedding reception photos. I doubt Super sonic motor is that necessary for this kind of focal length range. I also think Da*16-50 really does not need Super sonic motor either. Da*70-250 would definitely need SSM but it is a bit too dark...
I think that the whole SSM thing is a marketing stunt to make Canon users say "Ooh, Pentax finally incorporated the 'right' type of AF." After all, it's not nearly as useful as power zoom (which the K10D supports, lol), and it still adds weight to the lens.

The DA* 60-250 is has very strange zoom range, just like most of the current lenses. It'll be the first DA tele to go past 200mm, but I'm still not getting why Pentax just can't continue the *better* FA series.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote

p.s. why does pentax have all these funny focal lengths for primes?? Like Fa 43 mm ltd or Fa 77mm ltd or Da 40mm or Da 21mm Funny phenomenon
The FA limiteds are supposed to stand out, so I'm guessing Pentax chose these strange focal lengths to make them more interesting.

I can understand that Pentax decided to re-release the 40mm pancake, but I don't know about the others. They should have made them a bit larger and a bit faster. Or, they could just continue producing the great FA20/2.8...

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-17-2007, 11:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These wouldn't be snap shots for me! I'd have to work hard to accomplish these images. Ah, so much to learn an so little time. ;-) Nice shots Mo.
02-18-2007, 03:23 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I think these are well done. good sharpness too!
02-18-2007, 03:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, Mo, I think I'll agree with LaRee, but I guess I'll get there some day. I especially like the closeup of the heron. Great shot

NaCl(I'd be ready to frame shots you call "snaps" )H2O

02-18-2007, 09:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow! Those birds look great!
02-18-2007, 10:12 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Well, Mo, I think I'll agree with LaRee, but I guess I'll get there some day. I especially like the closeup of the heron. Great shot

NaCl(I'd be ready to frame shots you call "snaps" )H2O
Thanks! I'll try to take a few more tomorrow, and I'll be bringing bread so that the ducks won't run away

Adam

02-19-2007, 07:13 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
As promised, I gave birding another shot today, but I decided to use my [more compact] A* 200 instead of the FA* 80-200. To my disappointment, more than half of the shots were out of focus, and only this one was worth posting.

Lesson learned: never use MF for action photography!

Adam

02-19-2007, 07:27 PM   #12
clm

The sharpness was really hard to control because of the lens's weight, but I still think the shot came out well composition-wise! These birds kept on running away from me, so it was tough

I got my copy from Stan (from Stan's photo site), and you could consider me damn lucky for sniffing out the offer. I had contacted Mike earlier, but he wouldn't part with his. I almost consider 200mm too short for the purpose, but keep in mind that 50-135mm on digital roughly corresponds to 80-200mm on film.

Here's the eBay listing I saw: eBay: SMC Pentax FA Pro 80-200 2.8 IF ED RARE LENS (item 120087901805 end time Feb-20-07 20:41:30 PST)

Pretty scary...
Scary's not the word; $1375 and reserve still not met.
(I hope you didn't spoil somebody's auction.)
02-21-2007, 01:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clm Quote
Scary's not the word; $1375 and reserve still not met.
(I hope you didn't spoil somebody's auction.)
Pity that the seller does not allow Australian bidders at all.

02-22-2007, 08:14 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I still don't get why sellers do that...they should be well aware that they're just cutting the potential selling price.

Well, it looks like the lens sold for $2k. I'm proud to say that I got mine for less than that

Adam

02-23-2007, 08:52 PM   #15

these are all wonderful shots. herons make great subjects because they're so large, bright, and generally less skittish. you did a wonderful job with the captures.