Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Trying a monopod
Lens: DA 560 Camera: K-1 
Posted By: KiloHotelphoto, 04-09-2017, 05:24 PM

Picked up a monopod months ago from B&H that was one of their daily deals but haven't tried it out yet until today. I'm not sure what the weight limit is on it but I think the K1 and 560 are little to much for it. The shaft seem to have a bit of flex to it, so trying to get it stable was a little difficult. I couldn't find anything to interesting to shoot so I had to settle for some robins and turtles.

It was easier to carry around than with my tripod so I think I will look to see what they have for my weight requirements. I bought a DA*300 to walk around with but it's so hard to leave the 560 at home, I just always miss its reach.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Views: 652
04-09-2017, 05:49 PM   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a nice series of images mate, so flexi monopod or not you've got some sharp nature shots for your efforts.

I had a similar fliex issue with my monopod after picking up the K-1, particularly when used with the 150-450. I went out and picked up one of these:

Manfrotto MVM250A Aluminum Video Monopod with Fluid Base MVM250A

I really like the foot unit for the added stability, however I forgot when buying this that I'd planned to go down the beach to capture surfers and I didn't think sand would work well with that tripod so I picked up one of these: Manfrotto XPRO Over 4-Section Aluminum Monopod MMXPROA4US B&H for those times where I might damage the other monopod.

The load rating for both (17.6lbs) is plenty for the K-1 (3.95lbs) and the 560 (6.7lbs) even with a sturdy gimbal head, most of which weight between 2-4 lbs.

Tas
04-09-2017, 07:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As I understand it monopods tend to flex more than tripods do, regardless of build quality. Not just because there are two fewer legs; it's also being asked to stay stable in a full vertical position rather than diagonally. Not that I know much about physics... Anyway I don't think it matters much. As Tas notes, the results are good.

-edit- I just read up on the MVM250A. Never considered a monopod with a damped mini-tripod base before. Sounds like it could be useful in a lot of situations.

Last edited by Sluggo; 04-09-2017 at 07:23 PM.