Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
8 Likes  #1
Morning has broken!
Camera: Pentax K-1 Photo Location: Mam Tor ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/4s Aperture: F16 
Posted By: Peter Nutkins, 04-12-2017, 12:19 AM

[IMG][/IMG]

After a few days of glorious weather I finally got up the gumption to go out and take a sunrise shot.

I awoke at 3am. I had to set off by 4:30am to get to the location in time for the early morning sun.

Last time I tried to get a sunrise shot on Mam Tor it kind of went from bad to worse. This time I was prepared. Being older, and wiser (OK just older) I felt very really on top of what I was going to do. I now have proper shoes, trousers and even a coat…what could go wrong?

Looking at the weather the night before I was excited in case there would be a ‘cloud inversion’ This is when the clouds are low and the peaks are above them. A sunrise with a cloud inversion would be an epic shot.

Looking out of the window at 3am I could see the stars….a clear night. It was looking good for my inversion!

Quietly creeping out of the house at 4:30am is very exciting. The thrill of another adventure, the amazing possibilities that could unfold……

Jumping in Patty I sped off to the Tor. Well, strictly speaking I pottered off. I was almost out of fuel. Forgot that bit in my planning.

There are not that many petrol stations in the Peak District. Lots of hills, sheep and rocks but no diesel. Doing a quick bit of maths, as I drove, I worked out that I could get to Mam Tor. Not sure what would happen then….but at least I would get my shot.

Remarkably I got to my parking space really easily. Driving smoothly to conserve fuel and trying to be relaxed only cost me about 3 minutes in driving time. Maybe this is how I should drive all of the time?

This time it was not raining. This time I remembered the holes in the path. This time I had a torch (cost £4).

It was not that dark, but as I had bought the torch I was going to use it. I switched it on. It made no difference to anything so I put it away….I now knew why it was so cheap.

One downside this time was that I found myself in a different part of my drug cycle that before. I was at the point when breathing is a little more challenging. I forgot that in my planning too. Although getting to the Tor is not far I found it very difficult. A combination of wind, cold, exercise and drugs meant I was quickly in trouble. I sat on the path for a while to calm down. The sheep that before had been so scary in the dark now just stared at me. I am sure they were being sympathetic.

On my last visit I had battled against the elements to reach the top. Now I was battling with myself. Exhaustion had set in and I had not really got started. As I calmed down I thought about the Kendall Mint Cake in my rucksack…that would be my treat for completing the job.

I got up and carried on.

Somehow I made it to the top, and I just carried on down the path. Like a giant wind up tin soldier I just kept putting one foot in front of the other until eventually my coil unwound.

At last I reached the gate. Looking at the time I was early by ten minutes! This left me with 26 minutes before sunrise. I had time to sit and wonder at the view around me….and give thanks.

As the sun rose the golden light filled the ridge across Mam Tor. It was an amazing experience. No inversion…instead I was bathed in glorious sunlight. It was just me on the peak after my struggle. I was all alone yet I have never experienced a sunrise so personal.

Over the next hour I took a couple of shots. It is amazing to see the difference the right light makes to a photograph.

I hope that during your day today you get the opportunity to stop and wonder at the things around you…and you have time to give thanks too.

Have a great day.

Peter
Views: 1,099
04-12-2017, 02:05 AM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot and a good story. Dawn is an amazing time. I have always found that driving west (out on the plains) with dawn breaking behind you has a special feeling - that slow change from black to grey and then the pale colours emerging. I trust you had the fuel to get home. I spent today driving from Sydney to Toowoomba (after visiting our grandchildren and leaving my wife down there) It was 900 km in 11 hours of steady driving. But dawn this morning was on the expressway north of Sydney - a bit of drizzle and not much to admire.
04-12-2017, 02:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Nice shot and a good story. Dawn is an amazing time. I have always found that driving west (out on the plains) with dawn breaking behind you has a special feeling - that slow change from black to grey and then the pale colours emerging. I trust you had the fuel to get home. I spent today driving from Sydney to Toowoomba (after visiting our grandchildren and leaving my wife down there) It was 900 km in 11 hours of steady driving. But dawn this morning was on the expressway north of Sydney - a bit of drizzle and not much to admire.
Thank you. Wow - 900km you must have been exhausted. Sunrise is truly a wonderful thing!
04-12-2017, 10:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A wonderful shot, Peter. Well worth every effort.

04-13-2017, 12:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
A wonderful shot, Peter. Well worth every effort.
Thanks Norbert!
04-13-2017, 04:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A great shot, and quite a story. Very pretty light indeed.
04-13-2017, 11:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SunValley Quote
A great shot, and quite a story. Very pretty light indeed.
Thank you!

04-14-2017, 02:46 AM   #8

That is great! Thanks for sharing.
04-14-2017, 04:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wpvv Quote
That is great! Thanks for sharing.
A pleasure!
04-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice shot and nice story.
If you are really that old, then old age has not slowed you down one bit.
I saw your other work. You capture well the work of the original artist.
We surely need to give thanks....Thanks

Culture
04-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Nutkins Quote
...Quietly creeping out of the house at 4:30am is very exciting...
Wonderful photo. Funny how photography can get us up before sunrise, but for work and errands I want to sleep until 8 AM.
04-16-2017, 04:28 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
After the last effort, this one makes sense, eh?

A just reward - a nice photo in the hills!
04-17-2017, 12:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
Nice shot and nice story.
If you are really that old, then old age has not slowed you down one bit.
I saw your other work. You capture well the work of the original artist.
We surely need to give thanks....Thanks

Culture
Thank you for your kind words...I am not that old....I just feel it! ;D

---------- Post added 17th Apr 2017 at 12:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
After the last effort, this one makes sense, eh?

A just reward - a nice photo in the hills!
Thanks...have a great day!

---------- Post added 17th Apr 2017 at 12:26 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Wonderful photo. Funny how photography can get us up before sunrise, but for work and errands I want to sleep until 8 AM.
You are so right !