Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
That darn Wanaka Tree
Lens: Sigma 17-50 2.8 Camera: K-70 Photo Location: WANAKA NZ ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: following.eric, 04-13-2017, 06:31 PM

Finally got my new K70 out for a spin today. Was meant to go trekking but as you can see the weather didn't cooperate. While heading home I grab yet another shot of the Wanaka tree. Never seen it with the water this low.

So far real happy with the k70, even though I have much love for my Red k50 I can immediately see the increase in pixels and detail on the computer. Big upgrade I think. Overall features seem good and layout of the menus is what I am used to. Still need to set it up a little more custom.

I can already see a problem with PP and over sharpening. Won't take too much to over do it. If you guys have any tips for getting the most out of the k-70 or some in the field tips I would love to hear.

[IMG][/IMG]
Views: 625
04-13-2017, 06:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a nicely composed shot, great subject, and I think the weather makes the background interesting while isolating the subject.

The foreground is very sharp, but I think the focal point should have been the lone tree. At f8, the tree and foreground closest to it would have been in focus. The colors are good, grey days like this actually make greens, yellows and reds pop a bit, IMO.

BTW, are you using a 17mm Takumar prime lens, with the built in filters?

I own a K-5, and I think the in-camera HDR is very good, improved results without that cliched HDR look, so you might try that and see if you like it.
04-13-2017, 07:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
It's a nicely composed shot, great subject, and I think the weather makes the background interesting while isolating the subject.

The foreground is very sharp, but I think the focal point should have been the lone tree. At f8, the tree and foreground closest to it would have been in focus. The colors are good, grey days like this actually make greens, yellows and reds pop a bit, IMO.

BTW, are you using a 17mm Takumar prime lens, with the built in filters?

I own a K-5, and I think the in-camera HDR is very good, improved results without that cliched HDR look, so you might try that and see if you like it.
I few others of the Wanaka tree trying to isolate it more. The classic shot is the tree with more water in the lake. ND filter and mountains in the background. Bit over shot on instagram. Last time I was there for sunrise I was with ten or so other photographers all fighting for angles without getting in shots. Eventually everyone had to get tight shots to avoid other photographers. But annoying. But I try and stop by everytime I'm around.

I tend not to use the built in HDR, not a big fan and just a good raw can pull out a lot of detail in PP.

As for the lens it was shot on the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX OS HSM. Got it a few months back and I love it. Produces great images. Only shame is now WR.
04-13-2017, 07:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The shot has a great mood of loneliness & isolation especially with the water down so low & the cloud cover in the background. Very nice shot.

06-02-2018, 04:54 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by following.eric Quote
Finally got my new K70 out for a spin today. Was meant to go trekking but as you can see the weather didn't cooperate. While heading home I grab yet another shot of the Wanaka tree. Never seen it with the water this low.

So far real happy with the k70, even though I have much love for my Red k50 I can immediately see the increase in pixels and detail on the computer. Big upgrade I think. Overall features seem good and layout of the menus is what I am used to. Still need to set it up a little more custom.

I can already see a problem with PP and over sharpening. Won't take too much to over do it. If you guys have any tips for getting the most out of the k-70 or some in the field tips I would love to hear.

[/url][/IMG]
Nice shot! The tree looks quite out of place, very unique.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-10-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

[/url][/IMG]
Imperfect weather is where a camera like this shines.
06-10-2018, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand"..............William Blake
Photos: Gallery
That darn Wanaka Tree
I take it this is not what you had in mind...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo