Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Aerial Combat
Lens: Sigma 50-500 OS Camera: K-1 
Posted By: DeadJohn, 04-16-2017, 03:28 PM

I purposely woke before sunrise for a long photo walk. The forecast was for great weather and I wanted to get out and back before it warmed up too much.

These osprey had a bit of an altercation. If think I saw them in the same nest with a third earlier, but as one flew back with some reeds to add to the nest, another objected. They locked talons around 20 feet up, thrashed in the air, and gently tumbled to the ground (around 3 seconds to drop 20 feet; they were trying to hover while fighting). Impact ended the squabble and they resumed hunting and gathering.

Views: 853
04-16-2017, 04:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What a great shot. Well done.
04-16-2017, 07:19 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Excellent catch!
04-17-2017, 06:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks.

P.S. My shutter speed was 1/500 when this happened. That's motion blur not "Pentax AF is doomed"

10-17-2017, 02:17 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I purposely woke before sunrise for a long photo walk. The forecast was for great weather and I wanted to get out and back before it warmed up too much.

These osprey had a bit of an altercation. If think I saw them in the same nest with a third earlier, but as one flew back with some reeds to add to the nest, another objected. They locked talons around 20 feet up, thrashed in the air, and gently tumbled to the ground (around 3 seconds to drop 20 feet; they were trying to hover while fighting). Impact ended the squabble and they resumed hunting and gathering.

Great timing!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks.

P.S. My shutter speed was 1/500 when this happened. That's motion blur not "Pentax AF is doomed"
This is a great shot regardless.
07-11-2021, 03:41 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Great shooting !