Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Thank Goodness for Weather Sealing (Shots from Hong Kong)
Lens: 16-85 Camera: K3 Photo Location: Hong Kong 
Posted By: alamo5000, 04-21-2017, 10:04 AM

Today I got a break from work so I was out shooting and I went to a famous park here in Hong Kong. Unfortunately the weather was terrible! Thick fog and dark clouds...and then all the sudden the bottom fell out right in the middle of me shooting. It was a total downpour. Did I stop taking photos?

No way man! It's all about chasing the light. It provided some interesting opportunities for some interesting shots just before, during, and after. It got so dark, it was like it was 9pm but it was only 4pm. I was having to use really high ISO in some shots it was so dark out.

The first shot and several of the others here were shot in that torrential rain storm.

The funny thing is I finally walked over to take a break and got under and overhang. Some guy was looking at me like 'WHAT is this guy doing?!?!' So I examined my camera, looked it over... walked over to where the rain was pouring off the building and rinsed my camera off! The guy's eyes were gigantic! He gave me a 'are you nuts!?' look... but I just smiled and fired off a few more shots...

More from the series below. As always suggestions, ideas, critiques, compliments, all are welcome!

Last edited by alamo5000; 04-21-2017 at 04:28 PM.
Views: 1,071
04-21-2017, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very, very nice. The fog and rain adds another dimension to your images!
04-21-2017, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Good set of photos.

#6 is my favorite. Good separation between the old and new styles of architecture with some open space between them.

1 and 3 are good because of the glowing lanterns. They are almost identical photos, though, and maybe only one needs to be in the set.
04-21-2017, 01:43 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agree with Dear John about #6. It is a great statement about the juxtaposition/contrast of old and new HK. BTW, #s 1, 5, 6 and 7 seem off on the leveling of the image. Either that or there is an optical illusion or lens distortion happening.

Great story about the rinsing off of the camera too. Take that Canicony folks!

Regards,

04-21-2017, 04:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Good set of photos.

#6 is my favorite. Good separation between the old and new styles of architecture with some open space between them.

1 and 3 are good because of the glowing lanterns. They are almost identical photos, though, and maybe only one needs to be in the set.
Good suggestion. I took out the other one.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Very, very nice. The fog and rain adds another dimension to your images!
Yes in my opinion too it added something unique. Most people only want to shoot on clear skies and sunny days...but this was too good to pass up.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Agree with Dear John about #6. It is a great statement about the juxtaposition/contrast of old and new HK. BTW, #s 1, 5, 6 and 7 seem off on the leveling of the image. Either that or there is an optical illusion or lens distortion happening.

Great story about the rinsing off of the camera too. Take that Canicony folks!

Regards,

I will have to look at the images more closely when I have time. I spent almost no time at all doing post processing. LR6 has the lens profile for the 16-85 so I will have to play around and see what I come up with.
04-22-2017, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Rainy images often have a different kind of richness to them. Good shooting.
04-22-2017, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice set!
04-23-2017, 08:34 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Rainy images often have a different kind of richness to them. Good shooting.
Yes!! I agree. I have had really good luck not only here but other times as well when the weather was not so good. The light just seems to have something special about it when the weather is not perfect. Interesting subject matter is essential. Add in interesting light and the rest is on the photographer.

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Nice set!
Thank you!! It was certainly fun to be able to take a break and get out there. I haven't been to Hong Kong for a while now until this trip. Hopefully I can get out in some more interesting places and shoot pictures.

04-23-2017, 08:40 AM   #9
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand................William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
something special about it when the weather is not perfect
I think it provides an extra level to the colour saturations that you don't get in fine conditions.

We used to call "mauve light", you know... the kind of light you get just before or after a storm.
04-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I think it provides an extra level to the colour saturations that you don't get in fine conditions.

We used to call "mauve light", you know... the kind of light you get just before or after a storm.
It softens and filters light. That is for sure. Sometimes the clouds or whatever will tame down harsh reflections, soften light, provide much more dramatic scenery, and depending on what is happening it can even filter out some spectrums of light.

Whatever it does though, it creates for some spectacular opportunities to shoot.
02-21-2018, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Great shots ! Pentax's weather sealing is my main reason over others brand coz I love to shoot in the rain too, rain will clean up the air and thick clouds soften the light make the color more saturated, fewer people in the street during the rain also give me more freedom to shoot, keep up the good work !
02-21-2018, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Nice set--I'll pick #2 in the series, though I'm surprised the reds in the bridge were that understated...I'm betting the scene looked a bit more Technicolor to the naked eye. At any rate, if you're back (home?) in Shanghai, be sure to check out People's Park there close to Nanjing Road--the Marriot looming over the lotus ponds like something out of Star Wars was a trip.
02-21-2018, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Interesting : I don't know how many people would normally be arround, but the rain has emptied the place giving it a somewhat surreal feel. When I was in Hong Kong there were always people everywhere (day and night) without such rainfall. Of course with cities at higher lattitudes you can find them empty on very early summer mornings, but not the same light.
02-21-2018, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Great shots ! Pentax's weather sealing is my main reason over others brand coz I love to shoot in the rain too, rain will clean up the air and thick clouds soften the light make the color more saturated, fewer people in the street during the rain also give me more freedom to shoot, keep up the good work !
The weather sealing has proven itself to me. With simple care it can go through quite a bit. This day there was a massive down pour. These shots were all taken about 2 or 3pm if I remember correctly. It got so dark before the flood that it looked like it was 7 or 8pm.

The Philippines really tested the WR on my gear. It was awesome. I went shooting out in the rain in Istanbul as well. It just seems like I get pretty good results out in the rain sometimes.

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Nice set--I'll pick #2 in the series, though I'm surprised the reds in the bridge were that understated...I'm betting the scene looked a bit more Technicolor to the naked eye. At any rate, if you're back (home?) in Shanghai, be sure to check out People's Park there close to Nanjing Road--the Marriot looming over the lotus ponds like something out of Star Wars was a trip.
The light that day was different. Very different. It was filtered through big black clouds and it gave a totally different feel than normal.

As for Shanghai let's just say that I have been all over the place there It's changed so much over the years that it's insane. They had to update online maps every 3 months for a while there.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Interesting : I don't know how many people would normally be arround, but the rain has emptied the place giving it a somewhat surreal feel. When I was in Hong Kong there were always people everywhere (day and night) without such rainfall. Of course with cities at higher lattitudes you can find them empty on very early summer mornings, but not the same light.
Yes. Normally getting a shot without people in it... in Hong Kong? I don't think so. This day though it was a serious storm. I mean the bottom completely fell out. I just happened to be in the right spot at the right time. Oh and I didn't care if I got wet either. LOL!
02-21-2018, 08:43 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
It softens and filters light. That is for sure. Sometimes the clouds or whatever will tame down harsh reflections, soften light, provide much more dramatic scenery, and depending on what is happening it can even filter out some spectrums of light.

Whatever it does though, it creates for some spectacular opportunities to shoot.
Excellent images!

People obsess about AF and frames-per-second in getting "keepers" never realizing all the awesome images they lose because they can't take their camera outside. Your story and images prove the value of Pentax.

-----

A good rain enhances color in two ways:

First, it washes away the film of dust that is typically found on leaves and other surfaces.

Second, the thin film of water on the leaves (and other objects) acts like an anti-reflection coating. Both wax and cellulose found on leaves have a higher refractive index than does water (1.5 vs. 1.3). Even if the water film seems shiny, it's actually about half as reflective as dry leaves. The result is a much better view into the color inside the leaf. The effect is even stronger on materials like rocks.