Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
wrongly named Castle.
Photo Location: Arizona 
Posted By: Bob Harris, 04-23-2017, 11:11 PM

Located in a limestone recess high above the flood plain of Beaver Creek in the Verde Valley Arizona, stands one of the best preserved and most easily accessible cliff ruins in North America. This 5-story, 20-room cliff dwelling served as a safe dwelling for the prehistoric Sinagua Indians more than 700 years ago.

Early settlers to the area assumed that the imposing structure was connected to the Aztec emperor Montezuma, but this "castle" was abandoned almost a century before Montezuma was born.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 

Views: 1,031
04-23-2017, 11:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's quite impressive Bob.
04-24-2017, 01:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I'm guessing it is nicknamed "Montezuma's Castle" :-)

There is also the "White House" ruins in Canyon de Chelly, but it looks nothing like the one in Washington DC.

I'm amazed people created those abodes. I'd hate to be a sleep-walker...
04-24-2017, 02:52 AM   #4
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice one, Bob. I have a print somewhere from my visit there 30+ years ago. They were concerned then that the sonic booms from the F16s training in the area were causing cracking.

04-24-2017, 07:00 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shot, buddy. I remember visiting this place when I was a boy on a family vacation - fascinating then, fascinating now.

Jer
04-24-2017, 05:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
That's quite impressive Bob.
can you imagine having to go up and down each day, it's almost 100 feet up there.

---------- Post added 04-24-17 at 04:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I'm guessing it is nicknamed "Montezuma's Castle" :-)

There is also the "White House" ruins in Canyon de Chelly, but it looks nothing like the one in Washington DC.

I'm amazed people created those abodes. I'd hate to be a sleep-walker...
Canyon de Chelly is harder to access than here Kyle, you only have to walk down a paved path a hundred feet or so. You wouldn't be a sleep-walker for very long.

---------- Post added 04-24-17 at 04:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Nice one, Bob. I have a print somewhere from my visit there 30+ years ago. They were concerned then that the sonic booms from the F16s training in the area were causing cracking.
that's something I haven't heard in quite a few years Peter, I guess the aircraft don't fly low and fast like in the past.

---------- Post added 04-24-17 at 04:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Great shot, buddy. I remember visiting this place when I was a boy on a family vacation - fascinating then, fascinating now.

Jer
what a great vacation that would be Jer, re-visiting places of the past. In a Porsche of course.
07-24-2018, 11:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Harris Quote
Located in a limestone recess high above the flood plain of Beaver Creek in the Verde Valley Arizona, stands one of the best preserved and most easily accessible cliff ruins in North America. This 5-story, 20-room cliff dwelling served as a safe dwelling for the prehistoric Sinagua Indians more than 700 years ago.

Early settlers to the area assumed that the imposing structure was connected to the Aztec emperor Montezuma, but this "castle" was abandoned almost a century before Montezuma was born.
Simple and good.