Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Nature's Lens
Lens: DFA 100 macro Camera: K3 Photo Location: Canberra, Australia ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F3.5 
Posted By: RobG, 04-25-2017, 01:32 AM

I'm not sure which of these images I prefer.

Nature's lens
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

Loss and Renewal
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Views: 643
04-25-2017, 02:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very well done Rob.
04-25-2017, 03:44 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Very well done Rob.
Thank you! The low angle of the sun helped, I think.
04-25-2017, 06:38 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like 'em both, Rob, but I prefer the first one - to my 70-year-old eyes it has more detail and texture. Good stuff.

Jer

04-25-2017, 06:49 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the first one best. The warmer color and like sailor, the detail and texture. And my eyes are only 58 years old.
04-25-2017, 11:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

My vote goes to the first one also. Nicely captured.
04-25-2017, 04:51 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I like 'em both, Rob, but I prefer the first one - to my 70-year-old eyes it has more detail and texture. Good stuff.
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
I like the first one best. The warmer color and like sailor, the detail and texture. And my eyes are only 58 years old.
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
My vote goes to the first one also. Nicely captured.
Thanks everyone! The first one captures the lens effect better, for sure. One thing I found curious was that the undersides of the leaves were hydrophobic but the upper leaf surface wasn't.

04-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Very nice mate
04-25-2017, 05:00 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Thanks everyone! The first one captures the lens effect better, for sure. One thing I found curious was that the undersides of the leaves were hydrophobic but the upper leaf surface wasn't.
Rob, I've noticed the same thing myself. I am (or was before I retired) an organic/polymer chemist - material scientist, so I know a lot about what makes something hydrophobic or hydrophilic . . . . but . . . . . . I know nothing about plants. Mother nature has a reason for this behavior, and we need a botanist to explain it to us.

Jer
04-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Goosey Quote
Very nice mate
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Rob, I've noticed the same thing myself. I am (or was before I retired) an organic/polymer chemist - material scientist, so I know a lot about what makes something hydrophobic or hydrophilic . . . . but . . . . . . I know nothing about plants. Mother nature has a reason for this behavior, and we need a botanist to explain it to us.
Cool! Presumably a lot of research goes into making surfaces shed water (hydrophobic) like coatings for car paints and raincoats etc. I assume there's situations where you want surfaces to be hydrophilic too, like spraying plants with detergents to help them absorb things. From what I remember of university biology, the stomata on leaves are on the underneath of the leaf so that they're in the shade. It's the stomata through which they release oxygen and water. So I guess it makes sense for the underside to be hydrophobic - otherwise rainwater clinging to the leaf would make it hard for the cells to function. Some leaves are hydrophobic on the top - like rainforest plants, and African violets. I guess these deciduous trees evolved in areas where they like the rain and don't usually get too much of it.