Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
This Is Not A Drill
Posted By: Mike Cash, 08-13-2008, 03:38 AM

Pentax K20D
S-M-C Takumar 105/2.8

A member of the Tokyo Fire Department prepares to rappel down to the storm-swollen waters of the Kanda River in response to an accident in which five sewer workers upstream failed to get out of the sewer they were working on in time to avoid being swept away by a sudden deluge of water. The last I heard one was confirmed dead and the other four had not been accounted for.

About five minutes later I came across the Water Rescue Team from the Tokyo Municipal Police Department just as they arrived to deploy on the bridge on Showa-dori, just a bit downstream of this location.
Views: 1,700
08-13-2008, 03:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent capture Mike. You should submit a print to the TMPD, I'm sure they would be greatly appreciative. Very evocative photo.

NaCl(worthy of printing in any newspaper)H2O
08-13-2008, 04:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Impressive capture, Mike. Not sure about the blue, but the photograph speaks volumes.
08-13-2008, 04:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, I'd like the guy in the photo to have a print for himself. I think his name is Ueda but the second character of his name is somewhat obscured by a fold in his shirt. I'll have to try to research what station he was working out of. The police rolled up with guys in wetsuits and the whole nine yards. This fireman appears not to have been a member of a special team, but just one of the first on the scene from the local fire station. Notice that his rapelling and safety gear appears very minimal. The guy has guts going down there with nothing more than a rope around his middle.

I went for the faux cyanotype toning because the color wasn't all that great and because even I was getting tired of sepia.

EDIT: I found a contact e-mail address for the Tokyo Fire Department and fired off an e-mail asking them for help in identifying the fellow.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 08-13-2008 at 04:16 AM.
08-13-2008, 04:14 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Great social photojournalism. Great capture and I wonder what he is really doing.
08-13-2008, 04:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Great social photojournalism. Great capture and I wonder what he is really doing.
Going into the fast waters of a storm-swollen river downstream of where some sewer workers were swept away by a sudden surge of water through the sewer in hopes of rescuing them.