Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
In a Blue Mood
Lens: DFA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Kemah, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 05-10-2017, 01:21 PM

For lack of anything better to do today (I'm stuck at home with a sore ankle), I shuffled through some of the shots I made a couple of months ago at a concours in the Houston area. This particular car - a 1991 (964) Porsche 911 Turbo in a deep, rich blue - is in good but perhaps not pristine condition. I was very much taken with the car's color, and grabbed three shots.

Jer

Views: 1,046
05-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots Jer! Great looking car too. I am not a fan of blue cars, but I could make an exception! I am betting it is still pretty pricey?

Regards! You might appreciate this story...

I am mostly a Ford, Jeep, Dodge truck kind of guy. I have enjoyed my little Audi TT very much and Mrs Rupert, nearing retirement, has offered to buy me a new one. (I'm still more than happy with the one I have, it is pristine!)

So I was up in the city recently and stopped by the Audi Dealership for some information. The place was like some immaculate Gentleman's Club and even the technicians were dressed like they were ready for a tuxedo event.......and all were a little on the snobby side..which I think comes with the territory with high end cars...though I don't think Audi is all that "high-end"?

Anyhow, one of the service writers, very congenial, but strictly business was researching my question as I roamed around in the showroom. I found this nice TT jacket, and being a lover of jackets ( I have dozens!) I asked the price? $150. Not bad, it was a nice jacket, but it is Spring...maybe this Fall?

As I wandered around in the showroom, I came across a new TTcoupe that was gorgeous...and loaded $52K. The salesman was showing me some of the features and I asked if I bought it today would he throw in that TT jacket? He left and came back in a few minutes. Nope, couldn't do it!

Now I don't know how they get paid, but if I was the salesman I would not have to ask anyone, I'd pay for the damn jacket myself if necessary!

Ever run across such a situation? Crazy! I got my information and left, feeling like I just left the Twilight Zone!

Maybe I will look at some other sporty brand.....
05-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is a nice Blue, there is a Subaru WRX across the road of a similar colour and when the sunlight hits it it glistens like a blue diamond.
05-10-2017, 08:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Beautful Jer
I too love the blue...Perhaps if you have a chance check the paint code.

Then in the Summer paint yours the same colour

cheers

05-10-2017, 09:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Lovely pictures. I particularly like the last one of the spoiler. The lighting, reflections, colour....nicely done.

Les

P.S. Living up here on the Western Canadian prairies our local outdoor car show season is very short. Starts this weekend, lasts till the end of September. I'm planning to hit at least three, maybe more this weekend. Our car show season is very short, but intensive.
05-11-2017, 08:55 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Nice shots Jer! Great looking car too. I am not a fan of blue cars, but I could make an exception! I am betting it is still pretty pricey?

Regards! You might appreciate this story . . . . . . . .
Thanks, buddy - although I'm disappointed in your disinterest in the color, blue; I had you in mind as the perfect second owner of my BMW M4.

Regarding the value of the '91 911 Turbo, I'm no expert on pricing of classic Porsches. However, I took a quick look at a buying guide from a Porsche-focused magazine I subscribe to, and the guide suggests that the '91 Turbos can range from $80,000 to about 160 grand, depending on condition and mileage; a very low mileage car or a concours-level vehicle can command considerably more (or so says the guide).

I've been a BMW and Porsche customer for some time, so I've never bought an Audi - but I've shopped Audi and Jag dealerships, and I've found folks working in dealers in the Houston area of all four marques to be a friendly lot. My Porsche and BMW dealers (as well as the companies themselves) also have been pretty generous with the goodies.

Here's a little story of my own you might enjoy:

In 2014, late in the afternoon on the Friday after Thanksgiving, I decided I wanted to trade my little 135i for an M4. M4s were in short supply then, and a search of Houston dealers' websites revealed that only one M4 was available in the city; that car was at Advantage BMW in Clear Lake (where I've done business before). On Saturday morning, I called the dealer to check if the car was still available and arranged a test drive that afternoon with a wonderfully-gracious salesman, Alex.

I didn't intend to buy a car that day, since Connie had decided she didn't like the color from website pictures; based on the results of our test drive I would order one to my specs. Even so, as a last-minute thought just before we left for the hour's drive up to Clear Lake, I had Connie grab the title of 135i - just in case. When we pulled onto the dealer's lot and saw the car, Connie declared the color to be "gorgeous", and the car is loaded with luxury options that would please even the most jaded hedonist (at least the kind of hedonist that would buy a track-ready vehicle for daily driving ). The test drive was a success (and then some), and crisp, breezy negotiations sealed the deal.

As the M4 was being washed for delivery, and we were diving into the usual paperwork, Connie suddenly looked up and said, "I don't have the checkbook." We'd forgotten to bring it. Unfazed, Alex arranged for the BMW "Genius" (a delightful gal who explained all the gizmos on the car as part of delivery) to follow us home to get the check, which meant she'd have to spend at least two hours late on Saturday during a holiday weekend driving to and from Lake Jackson. When we pulled into the driveway, our "Genius" popped out of her car and offered to answer any questions about the car's operation that arose during the drive to our house - an offer I gratefully accepted. After we went over a couple of things, I wrote the check and - well after 5:30 PM - she was on her way back to the dealer.

Without doubt, this purchase was the strangest on most interesting car buying experience I've ever had.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
That is a nice Blue, there is a Subaru WRX across the road of a similar colour and when the sunlight hits it it glistens like a blue diamond.
It's a very rich color, EM - I like it a lot.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Beautful Jer
I too love the blue...Perhaps if you have a chance check the paint code.

Then in the Summer paint yours the same colour

cheers
Thanks much, Ivan.

I think I'll leave my current 911 Agate Gray, but I might look at dark blue for the next one (if my wife will let me have a next one ).

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Lovely pictures. I particularly like the last one of the spoiler. The lighting, reflections, colour....nicely done.

Les

P.S. Living up here on the Western Canadian prairies our local outdoor car show season is very short. Starts this weekend, lasts till the end of September. I'm planning to hit at least three, maybe more this weekend. Our car show season is very short, but intensive.
Thanks very much, Les - I appreciate the kind words very much.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 05-11-2017 at 03:13 PM.
05-11-2017, 09:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Here's a little story of my own you might enjoy:
Did enjoy that story Jer and so good to hear that genuine service is still around...at some places.

The Audi dealership was professional....just far too rigid for my taste. Of course, I did leave out that I was there in my farm pants, farm boots, and farm hat...so maybe they just wanted me out to not scare away their clientale?

Good service is priceless. Some have it and some don't. With so much online shopping nowadays personalized service is losing ground.

Best Regards!

BTW- I might be in for that deal...if I can paint it?