Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
First Shots with FA 50 f/1.4
Posted By: matiki, 08-13-2008, 06:49 PM

I was excited and yet disappointed to get my lens last weekend. You see... the weather has been extremely nice and on the day the lens showed up, we began a rainy weekend.

Despite that, even with just natural light from the overcast & rainy sky allowed me to snap these wonderful shots. Theses aren't lossless... their about 80% and not yet color corrected. The results are fantastic... no wonder everyone raves about this lens.
Views: 1,698
08-13-2008, 09:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

looks out of focus, or soft focus. Were these shot at f1.4?
08-13-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i dont think it is out of focus at all the eyes are sharp,
I love first pic great lens
08-13-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

really? hmmm, eyes look blurry to me, I see no detail at all...

08-14-2008, 03:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I think a little backfocusing there. But natural expression
08-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
They were taken at f/1.4 & 2.8 respectively- it was overcast outside and these are about as good as I could hope for. The kit lens would have been useless without flash.

I'm still working on my basic skillset - I'm sure these are slightly back or front focused as I rarely get it spot on and it really shows at wide apertures.
08-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
really? hmmm, eyes look blurry to me, I see no detail at all...
FWIW, my 50mm F1.4 is back at Pentax for a severe front-focus issue. WHEN it was focused correctly, it looked great, but it would not focus there on its own. Not even the focus compensation of the K20 was enough. Hope to have it back soon!

08-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Duff Quote
FWIW, my 50mm F1.4 is back at Pentax for a severe front-focus issue. WHEN it was focused correctly, it looked great, but it would not focus there on its own. Not even the focus compensation of the K20 was enough. Hope to have it back soon!
Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to do some focus testing when I get home just in case.

Part of the lack of detail in the eyes is that her eye color is essentially black. If you look very closely in good light you can see brown... barely. The other lack of detail is most assuredly me... unless there's a problem as Duff warned.
08-15-2008, 04:16 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Duff Quote
How much was it to get pentax to fix it?? if you dont mind me asking
08-15-2008, 05:53 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by vdubbin099 Quote
Still waiting for it. I'm claiming WARRANTY and they have not called with an estimate. If they accept it as warranty work, they will repair and return without contacting me.

I'll let you know.
08-25-2008, 10:44 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by vdubbin099 Quote
I just received the lens back this evening. Pentax fixed it under warranty. Workorder says they replaced electronic/mechanical components and adjusted lens back to factory specs. I think there may be some generic language in there and I may never know what they did exactly.

How does it work? No idea yet. The recent death of a friend and a couple projects for his widow have me tied up. I pulled it out of the box and slid it into the case. I'll shoot some shots when I get a little time and let you know how it works.