Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Mount Yôtei
Lens: HD DA 20-40 Ltd Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Yôtei, Shikotsutoya, Hokkaido, Japan 
Posted By: Pentaxke, 05-15-2017, 03:16 AM

Went on vacation to Japan in april and decided to climb Yôtei.
You will find more information in the link provided, but wanted to add some info about the frozen camera. When I woke up at 3:30 AM and set about to watch the sun rise I discovered that camera (K-5) and lens (DA 20-40) were covered in rime. I didn't protect the K-5 from freezing because a) I didn't know it would get that cold (-15°C or so) b) I didn't think it would be necessary since the camera and lens are both weather sealed and c) this fool was too lazy to put the camera back in his peak design rucksack, leaving it exposed to the cold. All it would do was show a blinking battery indicator and some mechanical sound inside as if something was blocked. I don't know exactly what was going on: was something inside (like the SR mechanism) stuck because of frost or was the battery suffering from cold? No idea (but I think the latter.) I was afraid to do more damage when opening the battery compartment or refitting the lens (because then moisture could enter the camera) so I left it at that. After only half an hour going down (where temperatures where a little better though still very cold) the camera recovered and worked flawlessly since.

Yôtei-zan:

K-5 + 20-40 ltd

Above the trees (you can see the city of Kutchan into the deep):

Panorama from two images, K-5 + 20-40 ltd

Last sun of the day:

K-5 + 20-40 ltd

ISO 6400 is really not bad (Views of mount Niseko-Annupuri and Niseko village):

K-5 + 20-40 ltd

Last edited by photolady95; 05-15-2017 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Removed personal link.
Views: 815
05-15-2017, 02:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That third one is spectacular and the last one also has some of that evening 'magic'.
05-16-2017, 12:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Txt Fries!