Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Question for the bokeh connoisseurs
Posted By: Voe, 08-14-2008, 06:25 AM

Bellow are some inartistic images taken with the only purpose to show up the bokeh capabilities of a lens. Bokeh wise can you please describe what is good and/or what is not good in the following images?

Thanks.
Views: 1,370
08-14-2008, 06:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bokeh is somehow subjective to taste, but most people tend to like "creamy" bokehs over rough ones.

All your pictures have a great creamy bokeh to my tastings. You have very nicely composed the pictures so that you had contrasty colors in the background. Put some flashlights/candles/flash pointing at the background and you may even get more interesting bokeh effects!

I'll post a bokeh that I dont like for comparison, because I think thats what you are looking for.

Later

BB
08-14-2008, 07:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

you chose distances very well, as apart from a couple of hot spots the bokeh is very creamy and smooth indeed.

Most lenses will have a zone where various 'not good' artifacts start to appear: hard ring edges or chromatic separation etc. For many lenses this zone is large, for others it is small. And the zone depends on conditions: relative distances and aperture used to name two, within the constants of focal length and design decision in the various corrections applied. In my (limited) experience investigating this, less corrected or less 'sharp' lenses tend to have a larger smooth bokeh zone.
08-14-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I like the bokeh where you see the aparture blade shape as circles, as in the bottom shot. Especially when its alot of details in the background

like the nokton 58/1,4

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/20336-voigtlan...-nokton-6.html

08-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
I like the bokeh where you see the aparture blade shape as circles, as in the bottom shot. Especially when its alot of details in the background
I thought most people dislike when the circles are too obvious. As for me, I don't mind the bright circles at all.
08-15-2008, 12:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I know I like the third one best because the background is very smooth and abstract.