View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Views: 791
05-18-2017, 03:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And then some people say that Pentax autofocus s**...
Nice picture, txs for sharing!
05-18-2017, 05:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for comment. My experience with the Pentax autofocus - if you have a fast/good focusing lens, the technique I use to optimize the autofocus/ force is to;

1. Everytime you want to recompose on a new action push the back button focus simultaneous to the shutter button just like you would by pressing the regular shutter.

2. Set camera to catch in focus.

3. Use continuous focus

4. Use the viewfinder (more reliable, faster, easier to track because you can see center focus point)

5. Hold AF off

6. If you want to hear how your lens and camera are working in unison, turn autofocus beeps on. It'll give you a clear/ audible understanding how the lens and camera are working together. The more faster beeps, the more unified lens and camera are working. After awhile, you'll know the character of the lens combined with your technique and you can turn it off.

This allows the camera lens to reacquire focus faster. But, if you use a slow focusing lens like the Tamron 70-200 macro it doesn't work well because the lens hunts too much. The 40mm is the fastest auto fcousin lens I have so far. All that being said, my opinion stand alone Pentax autofocus is troublesome, but I found a work around, and the K-3 II is as good a picture taking camera as any in its class. I have over a hundred of these freeze action seagull shots in bout 30 minutes or less. I also use the mentioned back focus technique for sports, although majority of the time I'm using video feature.

Last edited by Lmcfarrin; 05-18-2017 at 08:01 AM.
05-18-2017, 09:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
... example of real time autofocus using K-3 II, Shanny flash (HSS), DA 50 mm 1.8 prime and fast moving sparrow like bird. Because I am tracking/panning with the bird I can probably use an even slower shutter speed (drag shutter) and still freeze him and smear background - I'll revisit that at a later date.

I'm aware of poor image imperfections, I'm working out the technique to capture fast movers regardless of lighting disadvantages.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo