Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sycamore seeds descending
Lens: SMC Pentax-DA 1:2.8 16-50mm ED AL (IF) SDM Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Sale, Victoria, Australia ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: Farja, 05-18-2017, 05:58 AM

Taken in my backyard on a windless night. Camera low to the ground on a tripod pointing directly up. Ambient light from a lamp lower than camera pointing up. Two IC12 light cubes on stands linked to camera hotshoe with Cactus V6s. Camera operated by cable release. The intention was to shoot trailing curtain flash and freeze the seeds at their lowest point, but it did the opposite, capturing the seeds on the front curtain and then with ambient light until shutter closed. Each shot I took a hand full of seeds and threw them into the air above the camera. A UV filter was used to protect the lens from the occasional seeds that came to rest on the lens. Taken for our local camera clubs monthly competition theme, 'Looking up/Looking down'. Two previous attempts to set up this shot were instructive but didn't produce a result I was hoping for. Friends say this image is spooky, skeletal, like jelly fish or evokes the Fibonacci spiral (which I had never heard of before!). Exposure 0.8 sec. Lens at 22mm.

Attached Images

Views: 735