Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Moose
Lens: DA*60-250 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Algonquin Park ISO: 400 Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: normhead, 05-23-2017, 03:42 PM

Coming home from helping a friend shop for cottages.

A moose by the side of the road.

A big boy....

Salt from the winter makes these ponds like a salt lick, only wetter.

What are you doing over there?

I'm pretty sure it's the first moose for some of this family.

One last shot before I go.

There are still lots of people visiting with Mr. Moose after I leave.

Last edited by normhead; 05-24-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Views: 661
05-24-2017, 02:35 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Moose are amazing animals to see up close. Nice shots!
05-24-2017, 05:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just like bald eagles, you never get tired of seeing a moose.
05-24-2017, 06:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Moose are amazing animals to see up close. Nice shots!
This guy has been in the area for a few days, at this point he's famous on Facebook, and even inspired a debate on how close you should get to a moose.

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Just like bald eagles, you never get tired of seeing a moose.
They are really gentle creatures, except during the rut.

Last edited by normhead; 05-24-2017 at 07:12 AM.
05-24-2017, 08:54 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
They are really gentle creatures, except during the rut.
Or when they come crashing through the windshield of your car. This frequently happens in Newfoundland, where any wolf that steps off the pack-ice flowing down from Labrador is promptly shot. This is also where the provincial government manages the moose population for a 70% hunter success rate (the rate in Ontario is about 3%).
05-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Or when they come crashing through the windshield of your car. This frequently happens in Newfoundland, where any wolf that steps off the pack-ice flowing down from Labrador is promptly shot. This is also where the provincial government manages the moose population for a 70% hunter success rate (the rate in Ontario is about 3%).
If you put the moose hunting population of Ontario on the rock, my guess is there will be a success rate of much lower than 3%. You can certainly say the success rate in Ontario is 3%, but I know folks who get their moose every year. It seems to be pretty close to 100% for them. All those hunters that come up here from the south thinking they can find moose the locals didn't already get, are keeping the province afloat with buying licenses the province knows will never provide them with a moose. It's really a "you're allowed to go for a walk on crown land with a gun" license.

The locals up here scout the area for a month before the season starts. Any moose available from a road is gone the first day. The locals also rent a hunt camp that comes with three licenses leased from the provincial government. ( You guessed it, they were awarded to big wigs and grandfathered, and passed down within families.. You and I will never get one.) They always get their 3 moose the first day then sit in their huge former military tents and drink the rest of the week. As far as the wives are concerned they're gone hunting, when in fact they hunt for a day and drink for 6. No one ever says "I'm going drinking."

The more interesting thing is the native hunt. Those guys are going to get their moose. The MNR knows how many moose can be sustainably killed, counts the moose on the way out of the hunting areas, and shuts down the hunt when the right number is reached. They tell the natives every year how many they can take and native conservation officers manage the hunt. NO need to do that on the rock. They managed the natives the same way they "manage" the wolves.

As far as I'm concerned, the moose hunt and deer hunts in Ontario are a fund raising scam orchestrated by the province. Some people buy lottery tickets, some people enter the moose tag lottery, for a chance to buy another lottery ticket, which is what a moose tag really is. The difference being on a lottery ticket, even if you don't win, a set number of people are going to and there are strict rule on how much payout there will be on how much investment. The moose lottery is pretty much open ended. No guaranteed payout, a stacked system that means experienced hunters and local hunters are going to get the prizes, and no guarantee any prizes at all are going to be awarded. It amazes me people fall for this scam.

This moose is protected from hunting as long as he stays in the park, but is at serious risk of being killed by a truck on highway 60 which is 50 feet away from where he's standing. And the MNR has allowed hunting on a number of peninsulae near the park that are frequented by park animals. So you can't shoot them in the park but once they step across the park boundary line "kaboom".

The politics of hunting are a study in how government makes everyone compromise, makes no one happy, but still manages to make good money in the process.

Last edited by normhead; 05-24-2017 at 10:29 AM.