Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Show us your summer photos! 6 images in reply
Posted By: NaClH2O, 02-18-2007, 02:23 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love winter. There are lots of photo opportunities, and snow and ice are lovely and it's easier to dress for the cold than the hot. I also find 20F (-7C) easier to deal with than 90F (32C). That all said I am now looking forward greatly to summer. Most of us in the northern part of the northern hemisphere are in the midst of winter's heart, and I thought it would be fun to look towards warm weather, green foliage, and summer fun. So feel free to post some of your own favorite summer shots.

NaCl(let's have some July in February!)H2O
Views: 4,198
02-18-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Ever since I had to sell my boat, summer has meant flowers and music.
I live right near the New York Botanical Gardens, recognised as one of the great botanical gardens in the world. The place is huge, an photo opportunites are everywhere. A great way for me to unwind is to stop off on my way home from work and take a few hundred photos.
All photos taken with the DS
f8 at 1/350 kit lens

This one was taken at my sister's, she a very accomplished gardener in her own right.
kit lens 9.5 at 1/250

The other thing I do in the summer is go to music festivals. I'm pretty lucky in that the Clearwater festival is less than an hour away. I always have a great time.
This is an acapella singing group called the "Earth Tones" from the state university at Albany. They are easily professional quality. I've got better photos of them but I especially like this one because where there are a group of talented young men, a lot of young women seem to miraculously appear! You can see the firs of about 3 rows of them! kit lens, f6.7 at 1/350

The Clearwater festival was started by Pete Seeger in the early 70's to focus awareness on the foulness of the Hudson River. AFAIK it is the oldest "environmental" music festival in the country. Here is one of my favorite all time shots, Pete Seger singing a duet with his grandson, Tao Rodriquez-Seeger, the lead singer for the band "The Mammals". BTW, if you want to keep up with Pete Seeger bring your best sneakers, the man may be in his 80's but he walks fast! Sigma 75-300 f8 at 1/350

The other festival I regularily attend is the Falcon Ridge Folk Festival at the edge of the Berkshires, in New York, but about 10 miles from the Massachussetts border. kit lens f9.5 at 1/180

OK there are my summer shots! Let's see some of yours!

NaCl(I'm going to make me some nice cold lemonade)H2O
02-18-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Great shots NaClH2O but I think the forelast photo is a missing some bright colors but I love your flower shots!

And you are teasing us we got the pentax K10D pthis in the winter
02-18-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Summer Shots

Great idea for a thread!

Here's a few that remind me of summer:

Farmers' Markets

Being able to go for a 8 mile hike with friends after work with a rest stop at the Rose Gardens at 8:30 pm, and be able to take pictures while drinking a beer.

Bike rides

Throwing rocks

02-18-2007, 04:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

02-18-2007, 05:13 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey Buddy, here are mine (actually thinking of summer today; washed and drove my convertable this afternoon on a beautiful sunny day in SE Texas).

My bride of (almost) 39 years kindly holds my beer at the Mopar Nationals held near Columbus last summer:

Daughter Robin, a grad student at Ohio State* laboring towards a Ph.D. in neuroscience, enjoys drag racing at the Mopar Nationals:

My grand daughter's first sail on a very hot day last summer:

Jer

Friend Chris (along with his first mate), aboard Whatever - a Catalina 27, hoists a bottle of "sailboat fuel" on another hot summer afternoon:

Jer

*Thanks, Vandy, for giving us a shot at #1.
02-18-2007, 05:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Backyard cricket-

Swimming at the river-
02-18-2007, 07:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yea and hooray! Thanks everybody for participating! Lovely warm sunny shots! I feel much better already! Here's one more for "youse guys"
The "Mermaid Parade" is Coney Island's way of celebrating their idea of the start of summer. It's usually the 3rd Saturday in June. This is one of the few shots of the parade I can post here, generally speaking the "mermaids" have MUCH skimpier costumes! Sometimes the "seashells" seem to be lacking entirely, or maybe just a bit (and I mean a small bit) of paint. But great fun is had by all! For the women there are equally scantily clad "Neptunes" The parade also has a bunch of antique autos and some really nice "muscle cars". I try to make a point to go every year. This year will be the 25th annual so the zaniness will be greater than ever. DS Tamron 28-80 3.5 f6.7 at 1/350

NaCl(enjoy)H2O

02-18-2007, 08:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Fun!

I haven't owned my Pentax in the summer yet. But I am sure enjoying seeing everyone's summer photos. I hope we see more on this thread. Great idea!

btw, NaCl those concert shots are priceless!
02-18-2007, 08:39 PM   #10

Colorado Wildflowers

Taken at Camp Hale, near Leadville CO
Attached Images

02-18-2007, 09:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Some of my summer shots

02-18-2007, 10:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
But great fun is had by all! For the women there are equally scantily clad "Neptunes" NaCl(enjoy)H2O
So, where are the Neptune shots?

betsy(just asking)pdx
02-19-2007, 12:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Great idea, salty.

These aren't necessarily great photos because the summer sun is so strong in Oklahoma during the afternoons. But, they show what we do and how we enjoy the weather....

We throw horseshoes...

We throw bocce balls...

We throw water balloons...

And, we throw ourselves down the slip 'n slide

We also flip for BMX bikes...

And when we're done, we relax on the dock at the end of the day...

-E (who is SO ready for summer again)
02-19-2007, 02:19 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by ericc Quote
-E (who is SO ready for summer again)
Same! and to think I just spent a good part of my winter in Cuba, but I've already seen enough of the white stuff for my liking . Those two last shots so make me want to go to a cottage, or camping.
02-19-2007, 05:39 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
So, where are the Neptune shots?

betsy(just asking)pdx
Betsy, I've got a few but they aren't eggsackley "family oriented', unless you think green paint and not much else is considered "family oriented" I think I've got one I can post, I'll look when I get home.

NaCl(you think Mo would get upset at green paint and a gold lame jockstrap? With stilts?)H2O