Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Impressed with the Sigma 105mm macro..........
Posted By: Damn Brit, 08-15-2008, 12:30 AM

I saw the colours and the clouds close to sunset this evening and I picked up my K10D with the 105mm macro still on it to see how it would perform.
In the first shot you can see the fog rolling over the hills north of Marin and the second has fog covering San Francisco.
I have done little PP, mainly sharpening. Please feel free to comment and offer suggestions on how I can improve any or all of the shots.
Gary

Last edited by Damn Brit; 03-29-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Views: 1,768
08-15-2008, 12:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting pictures, eh.

Also interestingly not one macro shot taken with the macro lens. The second one is my fave - vibrant colours and quite epic on the whole.

The rest make me sleepy!
08-15-2008, 05:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice! I like the composition of the forth image with the tree line across the bottom. That one seems to have a little splash of pink in the center clouds that really work for me. I like the overall balance there.

I've always wanted to challenge myself by shooting landscapes with a long lens, it really forces the photog to think within the frame and compose a bit more.

Nice work.

germar
08-15-2008, 04:37 PM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Interesting pictures, eh.

Also interestingly not one macro shot taken with the macro lens. The second one is my fave - vibrant colours and quite epic on the whole.

The rest make me sleepy!
Thanks for the comment. I know what you mean about sleepy, they are pretty tranquil (ising).
The clouds in number three were what made me grab the camera. The one that you liked was a bit of an after thought. That tree is right in the middle of our panoramic view and I took nearly all the other shots aiming at the other side of that tree.

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Very nice! I like the composition of the forth image with the tree line across the bottom. That one seems to have a little splash of pink in the center clouds that really work for me. I like the overall balance there.

I've always wanted to challenge myself by shooting landscapes with a long lens, it really forces the photog to think within the frame and compose a bit more.

Nice work.

germar
Thanks Germar, when I downloaded the shot I was pleased that there was that much detail in the foreground. Can probably bring out more with PP but I quite like it as it is. I also like the single light showing amongst the trees.

As far as it being a challenge, I found it quite easy, I was bound by the focal length of the lens, it might have been harder to choose the shot with a zoom. I also found that, although I have a wider field of view, when I am looking out across the bay or up into the sky, I tend to focus on the middle portion of the FOV.

Gary

08-16-2008, 10:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Gary.. two looks more like a painting. Great shot! I use my 90 Macro for landscapes a lot.. mainly because it is on my camera 50% of the time because of the shots I like to shoot! Cheers and thank you for sharing. JIMBO

PS: Ha a similar sky last night coming back from Portland. Just couldn't find a good place to pull over to take a picture on I 5... JIMBO
08-16-2008, 05:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shot 2 is stunning, oh to be able to get shots that good. As Jimbo says more like a painting.

regards
Kevin
08-17-2008, 05:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I really like the mood of the second one Gary.

08-18-2008, 01:47 AM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Gary.. two looks more like a painting. Great shot! I use my 90 Macro for landscapes a lot.. mainly because it is on my camera 50% of the time because of the shots I like to shoot! Cheers and thank you for sharing. JIMBO

PS: Ha a similar sky last night coming back from Portland. Just couldn't find a good place to pull over to take a picture on I 5... JIMBO
QuoteOriginally posted by kev.pride Quote
Shot 2 is stunning, oh to be able to get shots that good. As Jimbo says more like a painting.

regards
Kevin
QuoteOriginally posted by sajmmiller Quote
I really like the mood of the second one Gary.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Gary