Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
WWII Photo Equipment
Camera: iPhone 
Posted By: KiloHotelphoto, 06-03-2017, 03:32 PM

Went back to WWII weekend today in Reading, PA. I didn't bring my cameras with me but spotted some old photo equipment set up in the camp so I used my iPhone to be able to share them.

I talked to the guys there for about 40 minutes and learned a lot of what it was like for photographers in the war and what they had to use. One of the shots is of a portable dark lab they used to get pictures developed right away for the officers to see what was going on at the frontline.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 

Views: 897
06-03-2017, 05:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Nice pix....I enjoy old cameras. Always wanted a speed graphic. However I do have a Zeiss Super Ikonta...similar to the first camera in the first photo.
06-03-2017, 07:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is amazing how much more they had to carry with the to get a shot. Twenty years later, or less, they were all shooting 35mm. I particularly like he portable darkroom set up!

PS- Having the images oriented properly for the forum page would be nice.

Regards,
06-04-2017, 09:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now I know where the equipment I shot with in the USAF came from!

06-18-2018, 05:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Just a suggestion - iPhone photos often do come out like this - it would help my neck if you would rotate them 90 degrees before posting them. I'm running on Linux now, but I believe the Windows Photo Viewer could do that once you've moved them to your computer.
06-18-2018, 05:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

We were still using the Speed Graphic in the Navy in 1964. We also had a 16x20 Deardorff studio camera, too. I loved using it! Such superb craftsmanship in it's construction.... lots of mahogany involved. It probably ended up in a surplus sale and was bought for less than $50.00!
06-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
It is amazing how much more they had to carry with the to get a shot. Twenty years later, or less, they were all shooting 35mm. I particularly like he portable darkroom set up!
American Civil War it was much worse. They needed a complete wagon - with "wet plate" you coated the film just before you exposed it, and developed immediately after you exposed it.

06-18-2018, 07:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I've got a similar camera...to the one in your first photo. Mine is a medium format folder..a Zeiss Ikon Super Ikonta B. Good camera, fine lens.