Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Gettin' a good workout
Posted By: bdavis, 02-18-2007, 07:45 PM

I'm not sure who got a workout this week: me or the k10. I'm leaning towards the camera who clocked 1400+ frames in 3.5 days, but I also hefted the camera+Tokina 80-200/2.8 (pretty heavy, very nice, sadly borrowed) for 4+ hours of high school basketball Friday afternoon and had a very sleepy Saturday to show for it.

I was three years rusty, so the ability to take a large number of frames compared to a limited number of rolls helped a bit.

Things I noticed:
Setting WB is an interesting challenge with such a long lens.
The autofocus is plenty fast enough, and plenty accurate, even in poor/odd light.
Shake reduction appears to help when shooting at lower ISO. I got a fairly good take from 800 ISO shots, but I think it just might be easier to invest in Noise Ninja and shoot basketball at 1600.
Referees are still the bane of my existence as a photog.

I did have a moment of weirdness related to ISO settings. I had it set to Auto between 800-1600, and at one point the camera "lost" the settings, giving me several too-long exposures at 200&400 ISO (ooh, ugly!!). I attribute this to the camera settling in under my use of it this week, and fixed the problem by hitting the green button, and double checking the settings under the Fn menu.

I used continuous autofocus, to compensate a bit for being out of practice, and continuous shooting just because I could. (Note that I didn't find this necessary). I also fiddled a bit between matrix and spot metering, but to no real obvious end. One other thing I did is use center-point focus because I was afraid that being out of practice combined with an unknown (to me) AF speed would be a hindrance, but I don't think this was necessary and I won't be doing it again.

Here is a shot from early in the afternoon. These are freshman (C-team) players (and the ref who accidentally swung his hand into my metal lens hood ). I have better ones which I've worked on a bit more, but I'm hoping to sell them.

Attached Images

Views: 1,820
02-18-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Beth, Wow, 1400 shots in 3.5 days! Did you have to massage your shutter finger? Judging from the one you posted, you should be able to sell plenty. Who are your customers? The students/parents? The school? or the local newspaper?

NaCl(will you still talk to us when you're rich and famous?)H2O
02-18-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those gyms can be tough for sure. Good luck with the sales and if that one is a sample the rest should be nice. Heck 1400 you should have a pretty good number of keepers.
02-18-2007, 09:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. NaCl, I could use a massage.

I'm working on getting a job shooting for a local photography outlet; I'd shoot a variety of local sports for them, they sell to the parents/players. The pay is okay (certainly better than my retail job), but the experience would be best, of course.

I should also say that I didn't shoot 1400 frames of basketball, because a video camera would be more effective coverage! A good chunk were BB, but there was also a baby shower, an hour playing in the snow on campus, and a night out with coworkers.

02-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi Beth. This is amazing to take that many shots within such a short period of time.

The shot you posted is quite amusing for me. She ran with her both arms perpendicular to the ground - kind of like primate gait ... This is quite fun

I guessed you took photos as assignments ?

Cheers