Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Dufferin Islands Ring billed Gulls
Lens: DA*200 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Niagara Falls, Ontario ISO: 1600 
Posted By: normhead, 06-05-2017, 06:14 PM

Nine shots in two seconds (4.5 per second with tracking turned on (Audiobomber's settings)

First shot.

Last shot

Everything in between razor sharp.

I had lots of misses, when I didn't establish focus in the first frame. When I let the subject wander out of my viewfinder while tracking. I also had times when I missed the first frame and it picked up my subject for me half way through the sequence.

But to be brief, every miss by the camera was definitely user error. This nine shot sequence shows what the camera is capable of with a competent (or in my case lucky) user.

Some other images from the afternoon. Most shot with the DA*200, some shot with the DA*200 and 1.4 TC.

I have to say, after all the posts on the forum about Pentax tracking, I'm surprised with the camera, and disappointed with a lot of self proclaimed experts.

The first shot was taken 10 minutes before the last, with my dogs waiting in the car. It's not like I devoted a lot of time to this. 10 minutes to negate the hours of typing that have gone into trashing Pentax tracking AF.

Last edited by normhead; 06-06-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Views: 413
06-05-2017, 06:38 PM   #2
Forum Member

Outstanding results. I especially love the one of the gull landing with the two geese in the background. Birds in flight are so hard and you obviously have some talent; as well as a nice camera and lens.
06-06-2017, 08:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ring-billed Gulls.
06-06-2017, 08:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Ring-billed Gulls.
I was lying in bed last night thinking that, thanks for the correction. It saves me going to the bird book to get it right.

06-06-2017, 06:07 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JamesDCrockett Quote
Outstanding results. I especially love the one of the gull landing with the two geese in the background. Birds in flight are so hard and you obviously have some talent; as well as a nice camera and lens.
This was an example of opportunity helping you out. There were enough of these guys flying around I had a chance to practice. Tracking this tight everything has to go right.