Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Loving this new setup.
Posted By: JamesDCrockett, 06-05-2017, 06:25 PM

I love the B&W effect on this shot even though I missed the focus just a tad on the middle flower. I am going to really enjoy this camera and lens for a very long time.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Views: 814
06-05-2017, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You got the middle flower (going front to back) on the left side of the frame. One way of thinking of this image is as a step in the quest to discover what is the least that needs to be in focus in an image for it to be interesting. A few years ago, I never considered that quest. Now I think it is a fascinating quest to be on.
06-05-2017, 07:29 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
You got the middle flower (going front to back) on the left side of the frame. One way of thinking of this image is as a step in the quest to discover what is the least that needs to be in focus in an image for it to be interesting. A few years ago, I never considered that quest. Now I think it is a fascinating quest to be on.
That is a great quest and I will try that thought process. I also could have gotten in closer and just focused on the left tube but thought all three made for a interesting composition. I may go back tomorrow and see what I can do.
06-06-2017, 02:37 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I choose my auto focus point and try to decide where I want it to be with regard to the image. Some use just center point and recompose, but my experience with that is that your focus can shift when you move the camera to recompose.

Thanks for sharing your shot.

06-06-2017, 05:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To go back to the overall "effect" of having this sort of flower image in black-and-white, I think the out-of-focus background is definitely of a kind that makes the image satisfying, without drawing too much attention away from the foreground flowers. Seeing the image in B&W, only, we can't know if something about the coloring of the background might have distracted, but sometimes that can happen, and converting a color scan to B&W can be a possible solution. There is also a nice range of tones, with in many places very smooth gradations between them. The whites and light grays are creamy. The dark grays are soft, but have a solidity, and range all the way to deep black. The brightest whites, for me, seem to get just bright enough, but are not piercing. This is a matter of taste, of course. I can be satisfied with just a few places with bright white, and love seeing a lot of shades of deep gray in a picture. Others may prefer paler views.
06-06-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
To go back to the overall "effect" of having this sort of flower image in black-and-white, I think the out-of-focus background is definitely of a kind that makes the image satisfying, without drawing too much attention away from the foreground flowers. Seeing the image in B&W, only, we can't know if something about the coloring of the background might have distracted, but sometimes that can happen, and converting a color scan to B&W can be a possible solution. There is also a nice range of tones, with in many places very smooth gradations between them. The whites and light grays are creamy. The dark grays are soft, but have a solidity, and range all the way to deep black. The brightest whites, for me, seem to get just bright enough, but are not piercing. This is a matter of taste, of course. I can be satisfied with just a few places with bright white, and love seeing a lot of shades of deep gray in a picture. Others may prefer paler views.
Thanks for the positive input. I prefer my whites a little softer than piercing unless against a solid black background, Then the effect can be stunning. The creaminess of the background, almost like wind blowing. and the gentle shifts in contrast is what made me keep this as a black and white. I did a few of some pansies and they look like very angry pansies in black and white.