Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  
More Niagara photographers - selfie shooters
Posted By: normhead, 06-06-2017, 02:01 PM

Just a few of many.... no one ever hands you their camera and asks you to take a picture anymore...

This girl is actually having a "FaceTime" chat with a friend with Niagara Falls as her back drop. Just chatting away over there all by herself laughing and carrying on, at least I hope she was chatting to someone. AIn't technology grand. Used to be if you acted like that you were crazy.

Views: 2,142
06-07-2017, 08:20 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
"because i get enough horror looking in the mirror in the morning, i can't see any reason to pay someone to frighten me..."

06-18-2018, 05:16 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I really can't abide the "look at me, look at what I'm doing" self-validation selfie culture... but this is a great set of shots documenting that culture!
This seems to be the narcissistic generation. My wife and I rode a tourist train last summer; we watched from the train as a couple made their way from the parking lot to the train, stopping a dozen or so times to take "selfies".
06-18-2018, 05:40 PM   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
This seems to be the narcissistic generation. My wife and I rode a tourist train last summer; we watched from the train as a couple made their way from the parking lot to the train, stopping a dozen or so times to take "selfies".
I do wonder if it's more a display of insecurity, or a lack of self-value / self-confidence - a desire not to be seen as inferior, and too much interest in what others think. It seems that the selfie folks are forever wanting to show everyone else that they're having a good time, doing interesting things, or being involved in popular / topical occasions... Some narcissistic tendencies there, for sure, but I think it's even sadder than that
06-19-2018, 03:00 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't know, I have pictures of my parents standing in front of Niagara Falls in 1947. Before selfies were a thing. They got someone else to take it. What's way to funny is because Toronto is so close to Niagara Fall, our latest serial killer when shown in the paper is standing in front of Niagara Falls, as are people killed car accidents. Every criminal and victim in Toronto has a picure somewhere on their facebook of a trip to Niagara Falls. After a while you wonder if going to Niagara Falls and taking a selfie will make you a car accident victim or a serial killer. I was constantly being stopped by people who wanted me to the take their picture until about 5 years ago.. It still happens with DSLR or post and soot users. They see my camera , and they think I might know what I'm doing. Suckers.

06-19-2018, 03:13 PM   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't know, I have pictures of my parents standing in front of Niagara Falls in 1947. Before selfies were a thing. They got someone else to take it.
Back then, I think it was to record something for personal reminiscence, or maybe to show a few close friends on one of those evenings where you're forced to sit through a vacation slide show after dinner Those were, in many respects, simpler times... and whilst I'm not saying the photos weren't ever shown to impress, I suspect the main reason for them was for recollection and reminder of enjoyable events.

Now, though, taking selfies and posting them on social media has become a thoroughly ghastly and crude display of self-promotion and self-validation among one's social "peers". If that sounds rather harsh, I'm afraid it demonstrates my feelings towards the prevalence of Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and all manner of other social media / networking sites. I can't abide them, though I realise - like most things - they probably have some positive uses (often very much down to the individual user, rather than the overall service)...

#PutThePhoneDownAndGetALife

(See what I did there? )
06-19-2018, 06:10 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Back then, I think it was to record something for personal reminiscence, or maybe to show a few close friends on one of those evenings where you're forced to sit through a vacation slide show after dinner Those were, in many respects, simpler times... and whilst I'm not saying the photos weren't ever shown to impress, I suspect the main reason for them was for recollection and reminder of enjoyable events.

Now, though, taking selfies and posting them on social media has become a thoroughly ghastly and crude display of self-promotion and self-validation among one's social "peers". If that sounds rather harsh, I'm afraid it demonstrates my feelings towards the prevalence of Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and all manner of other social media / networking sites. I can't abide them, though I realise - like most things - they probably have some positive uses (often very much down to the individual user, rather than the overall service)...

#PutThePhoneDownAndGetALife

(See what I did there? )
I'd protest loudly except for the part where you might be right.
06-19-2018, 07:11 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I don't know, I have pictures of my parents standing in front of Niagara Falls in 1947. Before selfies were a thing. They got someone else to take it. What's way to funny is because Toronto is so close to Niagara Fall, our latest serial killer when shown in the paper is standing in front of Niagara Falls, as are people killed car accidents. Every criminal and victim in Toronto has a picure somewhere on their facebook of a trip to Niagara Falls. After a while you wonder if going to Niagara Falls and taking a selfie will make you a car accident victim or a serial killer. I was constantly being stopped by people who wanted me to the take their picture until about 5 years ago.. It still happens with DSLR or post and soot users. They see my camera , and they think I might know what I'm doing. Suckers.
I have a picture, taken in Montreal two years ago, of a guy taking a selfie in front of the cathedral there ..... using a DSLR {in fact, that is why I took my picture} - so even DSLR users can fall victim to the disease

08-27-2018, 07:56 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have a picture, taken in Montreal two years ago, of a guy taking a selfie in front of the cathedral there ..... using a DSLR {in fact, that is why I took my picture} - so even DSLR users can fall victim to the disease
Somewhere I have picture of myself taken with a monopod, my K-3 , the 10-17 fisheye and the remote shutter release that is essentially a selfie stick. It can be done. You say it like there's something wrong with that.
08-27-2018, 11:33 AM   #24
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Somewhere I have picture of myself taken with a monopod, my K-3 , the 10-17 fisheye and the remote shutter release that is essentially a selfie stick. It can be done. You say it like there's something wrong with that.
Ah... the rich man's Theta
08-27-2018, 11:35 AM   #25
Pentaxian

It looked weird - he was holding it out at arm's length - sort of like in your last photo.
08-27-2018, 11:38 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I always hope they'll drop their phones in the water. I'm evil that way.