Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Urban Landscape
Posted By: KungPOW, 08-15-2008, 11:57 PM

A few urban landscape shots.

I am learning to develope with Caffenol C, and these shots came from my first role not shot indoors.

So, not really knowing what I would get with the developement, the shots were more of the quick and dirty variety.

Film: Kodak Tri-X 400, shot at 200 (overexposed one stop)
Developer: caffenol C at 12 min. rotational agitation (+360 deg, -360 deg) ever 30 sec. at 21 deg C
stop: water
Fix: Kodak

Comments are welcome.

Views: 2,547
08-16-2008, 04:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like, there's a stark lonely quality to these, and caffenol works! Very sharp, and I love the way the light works
08-16-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The second one is quite interesting, I would burn a little the top to make the dog and its owner darker/more misterious
Also some cropping would make the picture better... play with it
08-16-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice series. It tells me that I need to do some more work in B&W. Thanks for sharing.

08-16-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
MrA

These are great. I like this kind of urban stuff very much, I guess 'cos I work in architecture (have you seen the work of Gabriele Basilico?).

Only trouble i have taking this kind of photo these days is the anti-terrorist "you shouldn't be taking photos" mentality that seems to crop up more and more if you take pictures of "odd" things. Such is the modern way, I suppose.
08-16-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
JMR
Veteran Member

Nice work! You have a good eye. I like the underground and the play of shadow and light on the window the best. Come to think of it, all your photos have some play or combination of shadow and light and of course strong shapes and lines.

What is caffenol?

JMR
08-17-2008, 01:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I might go back an rework the cropping and lighting in these. Funny, I didn't realise that I had the person and dog in the photo until PP at home. Something to think about.

QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Nice work! You have a good eye. I like the underground and the play of shadow and light on the window the best. Come to think of it, all your photos have some play or combination of shadow and light and of course strong shapes and lines.

What is caffenol?

JMR
The light I was shooting in was the last hour or so before the sun set. It gave very long shadows, and plenty of high contrast images. One of my favorite times to shoot.

"Caffenol C" is a developer made from instant coffee, washing soda, vitamin C. It is something a stumbled apon from another post, and after looking it up on the internet I gave it a go. I am no expert, it is something new to me. I just tried it for fun, and now I am working to learn to use it in a repeatable process.

Eric.