Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
If I forget thee, O Jerusalem
Lens: Super Takumar 105/2.4 Camera: P 67 Photo Location: GSMNP ISO: 50 
Posted By: CreationBear, 06-13-2017, 12:15 PM

I finally had a chance to introduce my Pentax 67 to its native environment--in this case, Thunderhead Prong in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It's a sweet little stream that's relatively easy to get to--and around on without a lot of drama--so it's become my proving ground over the years for every fly rod and piece of hiking equipment I've managed to sneak in the door. In this instance, I was excited about shooting my first roll of Velvia 50:

This is a relatively low-res scan, but I can see how folks get mesmerized by the stuff on a light table. I'm still getting a feel for the dynamic range as you can see!

Last edited by CreationBear; 06-13-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Views: 776
06-13-2017, 03:51 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like that first one, the Smokies are beautiful. Shooting that film in forest light has got to be challenging, but the longer exposure with that light made for a nice effect in that shot. I have to get back...
06-13-2017, 04:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ha, thanks David--we definitely have to get you back in the hills.

As for Velvia, I feel (another) unhealthy obsession coming on--it's going to take some spot meter skills and probably more money than I have to find that 4-stop range without being busted by whitewater or a rhododendron leaf's cutin layer doing the heliograph thing.

Last edited by CreationBear; 06-13-2017 at 05:46 PM.
06-14-2017, 03:48 PM   #4

The first one is outstanding! Keep it up and keep on sharing with us.

06-14-2017, 06:05 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks! It's a beautiful part of the world.
06-15-2017, 10:49 PM   #6

CreationBear,

My wife grew up family camping in the Smokies, Pisgah, and Joyce Kilmer. We have made 1 or 2 pilgrammages per year for the last 35 years. It is God's country. Love the mellow true film tones.

JB
06-16-2017, 05:57 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Take-5-JB Quote
My wife grew up family camping in the Smokies, Pisgah, and Joyce Kilmer

Wonderful, it sounds as if you have your priorities in order! I've not kicked around the Joyce Kilmer/Santeetlah area as much as I would like (the GSMNP is just so convenient for me) but there are some magical places back in there--still don't have a clue as to how I'd take a picture of those big tulip poplars, though.
06-16-2017, 01:40 PM   #8
PEG Gallery Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand................William Blake
It's certainly a very green place that first image, looks like the light seldom gets down that far, interesting capture indeed.

06-16-2017, 06:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
It's certainly a very green place

Ha, no need for the "Orton Effect" in these parts... I'm looking forward to seeing what various film stocks do with the palette here--digital sensors really seem to go wild with our greens (though as you can see, Velvia 50 is hardly the blushing bride in terms of saturation.)

At any rate, these streams take a bit of ingenuity for the fly fisherman as well, but strange to say Spey techniques work wonderfully on these little becks.
06-18-2017, 02:13 PM   #10

CreationBear,

We grew up and live in the SC Lowcountry outside of Charleston. It is God's country also, but for different scenery. We love the mountains and it is our respite from humidity and mosquitoes. Kilmer/Santeetlah has huge trees which give a green canopy effect. Good place for salamanders if you have patience and go during weekdays. GSMNP has a lifetime of things to see off the beaten path and you are lucky to be close.

JB
06-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Take-5-JB Quote
SC Lowcountry outside of Charleston

I've got to explore that country before too long--though I think I might wait until late October to spend much time in the swamps. Speaking of "herps" (or 'phibs in this case), try searching the site for PF member "Mole." He's a park ranger here in Tennessee, and though he hasn't posted much lately, he's as good as it gets at capturing a wide variety of natural scenes here in the Southern Highlands.
07-05-2017, 05:29 AM   #12
Pentaxian

A fine photograph
07-05-2017, 06:31 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks! I have to admit this one has raised problematized the whole "mirror up to nature" business for me, since some folks rebel against the yellow hue. To be honest--aesthetic issues aside--it doesn't look that unnatural to me, so now I'm wondering if a taste for K-series lenses and Thorium yellow glass might should become part of a differential diagnosis for ischemic stroke.