Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Religious Pervert: Probably Safe for Work
Posted By: Mike Cash, 08-16-2008, 06:31 AM

I stopped off at a little Shinto shrine up in the mountains today and man am I glad I did. I never expected to find anything like this. Sitting at the open front of the shrine was a carved wooden statue of Ebisu, wearing a loin cloth with a string attached. The string ran up to a pulley and then back down again. Pull the string and what do you get?......This!!!

Both Pentax K20D and SMC Takumar 55/1.8

Views: 2,667
08-16-2008, 06:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This is the god of fortune in Taoism.

However, Buddhism also considers him to be a buddha. He is either a guardian for fortune and money or buddha that returned to the human world.

He seems to be found only in Japan these days.

With the 2nd shot, go figure what "fortune" could refer to
08-16-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The second shot certainly explains the smile in the first shot. His is a common and well-known image in Japan....but I've never seen him like this before.
08-16-2008, 07:42 PM   #4

lol...

(The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.)

08-16-2008, 08:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I wonder why they bothered with the loincloth in the first place...i would've thought those sort of statues wouldn't exactly be out of the ordinary, especially in a country that has the fertility festivals?
08-16-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

LOL no wonder he's a jolly Budda the shot says it all

cheers
08-16-2008, 11:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
I wonder why they bothered with the loincloth in the first place...i would've thought those sort of statues wouldn't exactly be out of the ordinary, especially in a country that has the fertility festivals?
Same reason they make pop-up books for kids, I guess. I know I got a big kick out of repeatedly pulling that cord and wouldn't have enjoyed it half as much had the cloth not been there.

I even set up my tripod and hauled out my Spotmatic and a Yashica Electro 35 to shoot the scene on film while I was at it.