Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
First day with the DFA 150-450
Lens: DFA 150-450 Camera: K3 Photo Location: Canberra, Australia 
Posted By: RobG, 06-24-2017, 08:02 AM

I travelled to several locations in Canberra today to try out my new DFA 150-450. The main things I want to photograph with it are wildlife and planes. Almost all these photos were taken hand-held, except for the photo of the Pink-eared Duck and the Hardheads at Jerrabomberra Wetlands, where I could steady the lens on the window of the bird hide.
The lens is amazing. I did get it to hunt once, but there was a mess of branches with a bird that was backlit. It focusses fast, and it seems to unleash new capability in the K3 AF system. The colours it produces are gorgeous, but it's the release from the AF frustration of using the DA*300 that I like most!

Dusky Moorhen
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

Grey Teal

Shades of Blue

This was the situation that caused the AF system to hunt. Easily fixed with quick-shift.

Hunting

Crimson Rosella

This shot of a Satin Bowerbird isn't great, but it demonstrates that I was able to snap a very quick image of a bird - which would have been impossible with the DA*300.

Blue Eyes

Afternoon nap

Black Backed Magpie

Velocity 277

Q-link 1532

Do I like this lens? You bet! I've got a lot to learn about how to use it though!
Views: 1,102
06-24-2017, 08:43 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shots, Rob - and sharp, with lots of detail. You seem to be getting used to it more quickly than you admit
06-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well done sir
06-24-2017, 09:39 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Great shots, Rob - and sharp, with lots of detail. You seem to be getting used to it more quickly than you admit
Thanks! I still have to spend time figuring how best to use the focus limiter, the AF settings, the memory features, the extra focus buttons and find a decnt tripod to use with it, not to mention a lot more experimentation with the lens in general. I get the impression that sometimes it is focussing slightly beyond the intended point.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
well done sir
Thank you! 😊

06-24-2017, 04:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Nice shots.
06-24-2017, 05:33 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Nice shots.
Thank you!
06-24-2017, 06:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rob: I see you found a decent tripod to work with this (heavy) lens ... would you ever consider trying it hand-held?
Just curious to see what you'll say, that's all.
BTW: superb images you are presenting here!

06-24-2017, 06:42 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Looking good. Looks like a lot of fun.
06-24-2017, 08:51 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Rob: I see you found a decent tripod to work with this (heavy) lens ... would you ever consider trying it hand-held?
BTW: superb images you are presenting here!
Thank you! Actually, none of these were taken with a tripod. The photos of the Pink Eared Duck and Hardheads were taken from wooden hides, so I was able to use the windowsill to support the lens. So the answer to your question was yes I would use it hand held. I think it would be very tiring for an airshow though, but worth it!

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Looking good. Looks like a lot of fun.
Thanks! Sure was!
06-25-2017, 03:34 PM   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wonderful samples Rob.

Interesting to read your comparison with the AF on the DA*300. On these examples, the zoom would not seem to lack anything in resolution/IQ either. We think of the prime as have a speed advantage, but it is minimal if the zoom is f4.5 at 300mm. With the 1.4TC the prime is effectively 420mm f5.6, and the zoom can do that too.

There was one thread on DPR which suggested that the prime was about a stop better - that is to match the prime wide open it was necessary to stop down the zoom by about one stop. But I see that you shot the Crimson Rosella and Red Wattlebird wide open at 450 and they look plenty sharp to me.

If the zoom has the advantage in AF, reach and versatility, and IQ and speed are about the same, the only factors favouring the prime are weight/bulk and price. (Not the either of those is insignificant - I had a Sigma 170-500 for a while and even at 1.4kg it was a pain to carry around. And at north of $A3k the 150-450 is quite an outlay.)

Thanks for sharing. Look forward to more.

Last edited by Des; 06-25-2017 at 03:42 PM.
06-25-2017, 04:05 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Very impressive...subjects are very sharp. Looks to me like you have a winner with this camera-lens combo.
06-25-2017, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Wonderful samples Rob.
Thanks!

QuoteQuote:
Interesting to read your comparison with the AF on the DA*300. On these examples, the zoom would not seem to lack anything in resolution/IQ either. We think of the prime as have a speed advantage, but it is minimal if the zoom is f4.5 at 300mm. With the 1.4TC the prime is effectively 420mm f5.6, and the zoom can do that too.
Oddly enough, I found the view through the viewfinder brighter with the DFA than the DA*. The IQ of the DFA might not quite be the DA* "pixie dust", but the advantages of the DFA lens far outweigh the slight loss of speed. As you say, to get close to the same focal length on the DA*, the TC is needed which means the aperture is affected.

QuoteQuote:
There was one thread on DPR which suggested that the prime was about a stop better - that is to match the prime wide open it was necessary to stop down the zoom by about one stop. But I see that you shot the Crimson Rosella and Red Wattlebird wide open at 450 and they look plenty sharp to me.
I'll need to experiment more. The light was quite poor in the area where the Wattlebird and Rosella were. I frankly didn't expect to get a good photo of the Rosella because the shutter speed was slow and it was backlit, but the lens somehow managed to give a decent result. That's the sort of unexpected result I got now and then with the DA*300.

QuoteQuote:
If the zoom has the advantage in AF, reach and versatility, and IQ and speed are about the same, the only factors favouring the prime are weight/bulk and price. (Not the either of those is insignificant - I had a Sigma 170-500 for a while and even at 1.4kg it was a pain to carry around. And at north of $A3k the 150-450 is quite an outlay.) Thanks for sharing. Look forward to more.
The combination of the DA*300 and 1.4x TC is weighty, though obviously not as heavy as the DFA. The cost is also significant - the DA*300 + TC is 2/3 of the price of the DFA. Yes, the DFA is a bit of a pain to carry around, but worth it. I may look into a monopod.

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Very impressive...subjects are very sharp. Looks to me like you have a winner with this camera-lens combo.
Thanks! I'm really happy with it so far!
06-25-2017, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Originally posted by jpzk Rob: I see you found a decent tripod to work with this (heavy) lens ... would you ever consider trying it hand-held?
BTW: superb images you are presenting here! Thank you! Actually, none of these were taken with a tripod. The photos of the Pink Eared Duck and Hardheads were taken from wooden hides, so I was able to use the windowsill to support the lens. So the answer to your question was yes I would use it hand held. I think it would be very tiring for an airshow though, but worth it!
Great!
I thought this lens was so heavy that it wouldn't be useful for hand held "work" ... of course, an airshow would bring on quite a bit of muscular effort, at least on one arm! Unless you've got Popeye's arms !
06-25-2017, 05:55 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Great! I thought this lens was so heavy that it wouldn't be useful for hand held "work" ... of course, an airshow would bring on quite a bit of muscular effort, at least on one arm! Unless you've got Popeye's arms !
I definitely don't have Popeye's arms; in fact I am thinking of getting a gym membership for a bunch of health reasons, and being able to carry and operate this lens is a good encouragement. Anyway, I got through an afternoon of using the lens without a tripod, got some decent photos, and enjoyed the experience.