Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Enthusiasm
Camera: Panasonic LX100 Photo Location: Lime Rock Park 
Posted By: Sailor, 06-29-2017, 09:28 AM

A couple of car guys discuss the characteristics of this red, 6-cylinder MGC on glorious, sunny day at Connecticut's famous Lime Rock Park.

Jer


Views: 1,294
06-29-2017, 09:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
dcmsox2004's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: rhode island
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,514
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
A couple of car guys discuss the characteristics of this red, 6-cylinder MGC on glorious, sunny day at Connecticut's famous Lime Rock Park.

Jer
car kibitzers...fine capture jer.... gotta make my way to limerock sooner than later, great venue, dave m
06-29-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
wtlwdwgn's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Billings, MT
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,400
Nice shot Jer.
06-29-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 4,384
Very nice capture.

06-29-2017, 11:35 AM   #5
MSL
Pentaxian
MSL's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Greater Toronto Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,226
Does one need to have a red shirt to join the discussion?
06-29-2017, 12:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RGlasel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Saskatoon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,979
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
discuss the characteristics of this red, 6-cylinder MGC
Primary characteristic of this car is undoubtedly the same as any British Leyland product with SU carbs, the short periods of time when the car is running properly

Great example of a picture being worth a thousand words!
06-29-2017, 12:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 9,716
Very nice picture. You've captured the essence of a car guy, Jer. Two gearheads talking shop, swapping car stories, etc. ...enjoying themselves to the max. Been there, done that, enjoy that.

I recall the MGC. Didn't see many of them. When they came out I thought it was a good idea, putting the big Austin inline six engine out of the A-H 3000 into an MGB. More torque and horsepower than the B's 4 banger. An old boss back then had an MGB. I got the chance to drive it occasionally. Quite nice, Low to the ground, good handling, nice exhaust note and looked great.

I always thought that the MG with the V8 (Buick-Rover engine) was more appealing than the C, but then the Datsun 240Z came out and that seemed to be the beginning of the end for the British sportscar. Also not to forget the intro of the Porsche 914/4 and 914/6. MG whether B, C or V8 were getting a lot of competition all of a sudden.

Another poster mentions SU carbs as a problem. I had them (twin SU's) on my '62 Volvo PV544s and can attain that they were not my favourite carburetor. An uncle who was a Civil Engineer explained how they worked to me, but I didn't get them to work well or even work very much in concert with each other.

06-29-2017, 03:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RGlasel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Saskatoon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,979
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
An uncle who was a Civil Engineer explained how they worked to me
The SU carb was a variable venturi design, Ford built 2 barrel VV (variable venturi) carbs starting with '77 models and ending with the 351 Windsor in pickups sometime between '83 and '86 models (I would have to hunt for the old "new model" technical manuals from when I worked for Ford Motor Company to be sure, Google doesn't want to tell me). In theory the VV carb offers better fuel economy and cleaner emissions than fixed venturi carburetors (like the 4-barrel Holley in my '85 Mustang GT), but unless in near-perfect tune, they are royal pains in the bollocks. SU carbs weren't as complicated as the Motorcraft VV carbs, but were equally prone to not being adjusted properly for current conditions.
06-29-2017, 03:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 9,716
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
The SU carb was a variable venturi design, Ford built 2 barrel VV (variable venturi) carbs starting with '77 models and ending with the 351 Windsor in pickups sometime between '83 and '86 models (I would have to hunt for the old "new model" technical manuals from when I worked for Ford Motor Company to be sure, Google doesn't want to tell me). In theory the VV carb offers better fuel economy and cleaner emissions than fixed venturi carburetors (like the 4-barrel Holley in my '85 Mustang GT), but unless in near-perfect tune, they are royal pains in the bollocks. SU carbs weren't as complicated as the Motorcraft VV carbs, but were equally prone to not being adjusted properly for current conditions.
I recall that the late '80's Ford Crown Victoria police package car had an optional 351 V8 with a VV carb.

I still have a couple of variable venturi carbs...at least I believe they are. I have an English made, '67 Matchless 750 G 15 CS Scrambler motorcycle. It has a 750cc Norton Atlas engine, sports cam with twin Amal carbs. I'm in the slow process of restoration and some engine changes I'm contemplating include changing the old points ignition to an electronic ignition system and...replacing the twin Amal carbs with a single carb, possibly a Japanese made Mikuni. I think the Mikuni which has a reputation for producing good power and reliability, may be a CV or constant velocity carb.
06-29-2017, 03:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member
8540tomg's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,461
Nice one Jer.

The warm weather has brought out a number of old MGs, Triumph Spitfires and a couple of E-type jags in my neighborhood. There was a nice little Lotus which I rather liked.

Tom G
06-29-2017, 11:25 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
eaglem's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 36,777
Captured the Red perfectly.
07-01-2017, 06:00 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 23,628
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
car kibitzers...fine capture jer.... gotta make my way to limerock sooner than later, great venue, dave m
Thanks so much, Dave. Lime Rock is a beautiful place - I wanna go back when I can see some vintage Porsches circling the track!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Nice shot Jer.
Appreciate it, Steve.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by Janse Quote
Very nice capture.
Thanks much, my friend.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Does one need to have a red shirt to join the discussion?
As it happens, I was also wearing a red shirt - one that I bought at a Concours in Palo Alto several years ago.

Jer

---------- Post added 07-01-2017 at 10:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Primary characteristic of this car is undoubtedly the same as any British Leyland product with SU carbs, the short periods of time when the car is running properly

Great example of a picture being worth a thousand words!
Thanks for commenting.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Very nice picture. You've captured the essence of a car guy, Jer. Two gearheads talking shop, swapping car stories, etc. ...enjoying themselves to the max. Been there, done that, enjoy that.

I recall the MGC. Didn't see many of them. When they came out I thought it was a good idea, putting the big Austin inline six engine out of the A-H 3000 into an MGB. More torque and horsepower than the B's 4 banger. An old boss back then had an MGB. I got the chance to drive it occasionally. Quite nice, Low to the ground, good handling, nice exhaust note and looked great.

I always thought that the MG with the V8 (Buick-Rover engine) was more appealing than the C, but then the Datsun 240Z came out and that seemed to be the beginning of the end for the British sportscar. Also not to forget the intro of the Porsche 914/4 and 914/6. MG whether B, C or V8 were getting a lot of competition all of a sudden.

Another poster mentions SU carbs as a problem. I had them (twin SU's) on my '62 Volvo PV544s and can attain that they were not my favourite carburetor. An uncle who was a Civil Engineer explained how they worked to me, but I didn't get them to work well or even work very much in concert with each other.
Thanks very much, Les, for the kind words.

I've seen only a handful of MGCs over the years, so I was excited to come upon another one. I've driven MGBs, which I think simply ooze personality, but never managed to own one.

And you're right about the 240Z, it was a paradigm shift for a relatively inexpensive sports car. I wanted one badly when they were introduced, but . . . hell . . . . I've wanted all sorts of cars badly!!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
The SU carb was a variable venturi design, Ford built 2 barrel VV (variable venturi) carbs starting with '77 models and ending with the 351 Windsor in pickups sometime between '83 and '86 models (I would have to hunt for the old "new model" technical manuals from when I worked for Ford Motor Company to be sure, Google doesn't want to tell me). In theory the VV carb offers better fuel economy and cleaner emissions than fixed venturi carburetors (like the 4-barrel Holley in my '85 Mustang GT), but unless in near-perfect tune, they are royal pains in the bollocks. SU carbs weren't as complicated as the Motorcraft VV carbs, but were equally prone to not being adjusted properly for current conditions.
Interesting. I had a 2-BBL 351 Windsor in my '69 Mach I (way back in the day) - would have been fitted with the VV carb you mentioned?

Jer

---------- Post added 07-01-2017 at 10:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 8540tomg Quote
Nice one Jer.

The warm weather has brought out a number of old MGs, Triumph Spitfires and a couple of E-type jags in my neighborhood. There was a nice little Lotus which I rather liked.

Tom G
Hey thanks, Tom. In New England and your neck of the woods, this the time for top-down motoring. Down here it's the time of year to leave the top up and turn on the A/A.

Jer

---------- Post added 07-01-2017 at 10:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Captured the Red perfectly.
Thank you, EM. That means a lot, coming from someone who manages red as well as you do.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 07-01-2017 at 06:14 AM.
07-01-2017, 01:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,782
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
A couple of car guys discuss the characteristics of this red, 6-cylinder MGC on glorious, sunny day at Connecticut's famous Lime Rock Park.

Jer
It reminded me so much of what was wrong with British cars. They usually look like this, side of the road, hood up
07-02-2017, 02:44 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
volley's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Springe
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,297
A great shot that tells a story perfectly, Buddy.
Maybe after retirement, when I have some time to work on the engine this would be a great replacement for the Solstice
07-02-2017, 08:36 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RGlasel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Saskatoon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,979
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
would have been fitted with the VV carb you mentioned?
No, The Motorcraft VV carbs didnt' come out until '77. I don't know which brand of carb went into the Mach I ponies, I don't think Ford was using their own for muscle cars at that time, possibly it was a Carter.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, car, jer, photo, su, thanks, time, venturi, windsor
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
People Smile and smiles, and smile again urssu Photo Critique 2 04-10-2014 11:22 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:31 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top