Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Changing Light
Lens: Sigma 85mm EX HSM Camera: K-1 ISO: 100 Aperture: F11 
Posted By: serothis, 07-03-2017, 06:08 PM

I have yet more appreciation for our awesome landscape photographers.

My goal was to get a nice sunset shot of the Chicago skyline with a nice red sky. Over the course of about 2 weeks I kept trying every time the forecast was for partially cloudy. But like clockwork about 1 hour+ before sunset the sky would either go complete over cast or completely empty. Turns out landscape (well cityscape) photography is really hard.

I never did get my sunset photo but I did get these. Enjoy.

Chicago Skyline Sunrise
by Peter D, on Flickr

Chicago Skyline Afternoon
by Peter D, on Flickr

Chicago Skyline Blue Hour
by Peter D, on Flickr

Chicago Skyline Night
by Peter D, on Flickr

I have yet to figure out how to post/display panoramas. It seems not even flickr is up to the task.
Views: 783
07-04-2017, 03:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They're good. You've found a nice spot too.

I find that cityscape panos need a lot of luck. You can shorten the odds by pre-setting the camera in a user mode and taking the tripod and camera with you to places and appointments that put you in proximity to a viewing location at the right time of day. If the sky is behaving you can excuse yourself and have a crack. I recently pulled one off that involved 15 images of 15-25 second exposures in Sydney. It's normally busy but on this night it was well lit, empty and I had my gear in the boot (trunk).

Another tip for your first one. Half an hour before sunrise on a clear sky, a 30sec exposure will pull the deep royal blues from the night sky. For a period of about ten minutes, the exposure of the sky and reflections are perfectly balanced.- no filter required. To the eye the sky looks almost black but a 30 sec test shot will give you a lead on when the sweet spot will happen. The sky brightens fast though so you need to pan from east to west.
07-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by serothis Quote
I have yet more appreciation for our awesome landscape photographers.

My goal was to get a nice sunset shot of the Chicago skyline with a nice red sky. Over the course of about 2 weeks I kept trying every time the forecast was for partially cloudy. But like clockwork about 1 hour+ before sunset the sky would either go complete over cast or completely empty. Turns out landscape (well cityscape) photography is really hard...
Nice shot.
I know what you feel. It is the same here. I think I have a better luck during spring and autumn. and by the way, you can do time-lapse from late afternoon to early night. it will be interesting no matter you can get the sun in the sky or not.
07-10-2017, 04:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A very good series showing changes in failing light.