Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Seascapes
Posted By: celetron, 02-19-2007, 12:29 PM

Ok last afternoon, I had the chance to try some seascapes. Unfortunately, I had no previous experience at all, thus most of photos I captured are a complete disaster either because of bad composition or because of bad preparation. After the first few shots my filters filled in with salt and water spots and even though some of the photos ware nicely composed they all had those terrible spot effects. However, I managed to save one of the photos. I would appreciate any of your comments…

Pentax *ist DS, Tamron 17-35

Last edited by celetron; 02-23-2007 at 05:28 AM.
Views: 2,516
02-19-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice. B&W is working on this photo for me.
02-19-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Christos, The only thing I can say is Wow! Great shot for a first timer! The sea can be a hard thing to photograph as you have found out. But this shot is super! What was your shutter speed? That is probably the only change I would make, to a slightly slower shutter speed to make the water even more etherial around and amongst the rocks. But that is my own taste. It is a very beautiful photo as it is.

NaCl(thanks for sharing)H2O
02-19-2007, 03:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Great shot. What were your settings? I've been trying to figure out what I need to try.

Thanks,

02-19-2007, 04:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Great photo! It looks really haunting to me. I really like the B&W shots depending on the subject.
02-19-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by celetron Quote
Ok last afternoon, I had the chance to try some seascapes. Unfortunately, I had no previous experience at all, thus most of photos I captured are a complete disaster either because of bad composition or because of bad preparation. After the first few shots my filters filled in with salt and water spots and even though some of the photos ware nicely composed they all had those terrible spot effects. However, I managed to save one of the photos. I would appreciate any of your comments…

Pentax *ist DS, Tamron 17-35
great shot! works very well in B&W
do you want to know the difference between a pro taking this shot and yourself?
the pro doesn't tell you how many shots didn't work out

next time for a misty look to the water, go when the light is low, use a tripod and put the camera on auto. if the light is low enough (but not so low you can't see) the shutter will open for several seconds... more then 10 seconds works best...then this will give the water that "misty" look as long as there is enough wave action.

here is an example:
in order not to think I am stealing this thread, here is a link:
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o88/slipchuck/waterswirls1nearlastplaceoct06.jpg

one again, great shot!!

cheers

randy
02-19-2007, 05:38 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A terrific shot - B&W makes it really work. Congrats!

Jerry

02-20-2007, 01:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
settings

Thank you all for your comments and the tips (quite encouraging I must say...) Actually, I was pleased with that attempt. To be honest I didn’t expect to have a keeper. And after all, I realized that in fact an ultra wide angle is not necessarily the most suitable lens for that kind of shots… Now about the exposure time you are right… My initial plan was to make a misty photo… So probably I should wait long enough to have such a light conditions that would require quite more seconds of exposure... Unfortunately, I wasn’t well prepared and not only my filters became unacceptably dirty but after an hour could not bare the cold weather out there.

Program : Manual
Metering Mode: Spot
Focal Length : 31mm
Aperture : f25
ISO : 200
Exposure Time: 2.5 sec

I also used a tripod with a ballhead and 2 Cokin gradual ND filters together: P121L & P121M that makes us about 3 stops...

Last edited by celetron; 02-20-2007 at 10:23 AM.
02-20-2007, 02:46 AM   #9
Inactive Account

This is a terrific capture. I love the sky against the sea with waves coming to shore. The B&W just makes this shot pop. Very nicely done.
02-23-2007, 05:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
colour

Here is the coloured version. Although that one looks impressive to me, I still prefer the B&W one. I think it is a more powerful image (emotionally speaking)

« two-path | better »