Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Takumar 150mm f4.0 with extension tubes (bug warning).
Posted By: sawtooth235, 08-17-2008, 06:56 PM

I just got a set of extension tubes to try getting a little more distance from my MACRO subjects (my ugly mug has been scaring them off before I can get the shot). These were taken with my Takumar SMC 150mm f4.0 (screw mount)and 36mm extension tube at about 2 1/2 - 3 feet away.

For some reason I wasn't able to attach these images so you will need to click on the link to see them.

[IMG]undefined[/IMG]

[IMG]undefined[/IMG]

[IMG]undefined[/IMG]

This lens is a little soft (after all it was supposed to be a portrait lens), but it has pretty good sharpness in these.

Comments welcome, as always.

Ray
Views: 1,793
08-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sawtooth235 Quote
I just got a set of extension tubes to try getting a little more distance from my MACRO subjects (my ugly mug has been scaring them off before I can get the shot). These were taken with my Takumar SMC 150mm f4.0 (screw mount)and 36mm extension tube at about 2 1/2 - 3 feet away.

For some reason I wasn't able to attach these images so you will need to click on the link to see them.

This lens is a little soft (after all it was supposed to be a portrait lens), but it has pretty good sharpness in these.
Try embedding using just IMG tags:
HTML Code:
[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3187/2773213032_43bd4d3ba1_o.jpg[/IMG]
I dunno, those look like the lens has great potential. I'm surprised the dragonfly even let you get within 3ft, they're funny like that sometimes I guess. A little sharpening in post-processing wouldn't hurt.

I'm so jealous of people who can get close to bees, wasps etc. I've been warned not to get stung again or the next time could be a pretty severe reaction -- 3ft again, that's too close for me thanks Pretty sharp too, look at the highlights on the head and abdomen.

Have you tried many shots with the lens stopped down? I've been messing with a bellows on my 200mm Takumar and find that at f4 the depth of field is way too shallow, f8-11 and smaller really help there. Needs a tripod though, so that's the trade-off. Now a 50mm f1.4 Takumar on the otherhand...

I also find that colours on the Takumars (not sure about SMC Taks) are less saturated and punchy than newer lenses which is fine with me. It just means a little jiggery of levels in post-processing, so you might find that increasing the contrast a little makes the images look sharper.

Cool shots all around, I hadn't really considered bugs, think I might have to reevaluate
08-17-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think they are just great shots. I'm glad I have 3 more Super Taks on the way. I just have the one so far but with all the awesome shots in the Takumar Lens Photo section I had to get some more.
I have one of those Butterfly plants just starting to bloom in my flower bed. the one the dragonfly is on. The hummingbirds like it too. I'm in N.W. Fl.
08-17-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Second and third ones are great shots... Good luck with your new equipment. Cheers JIMBO