Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Working with K1 and Sigma Artist
Lens: Sigma 70/300mm Camera: K1 Photo Location: Jamestown VA 
Posted By: MikeDSr, 07-10-2017, 03:59 PM

The Gull Vocal Sextet are about to become a Septet. Although these birds are notoriously bad singers their voices are sweet music to those lost at sea.

Auto focus failed to capture the moment. Shot at 300ths in high contrast sunlight. I have not been happy with crispness of focus on almost every lens in my bag. Need a focus tuneup?

Attached Images

Views: 836
07-10-2017, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I agree that a much higher shutter speed would have helped but still a good shot anyway.
07-10-2017, 04:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you.

I just expect to be better at this than I am. I shoot everything in manual so the learning curve is sharp. I will post a few more. Thanks again.
07-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #4
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeDSr Quote
I have not been happy with crispness of focus on almost every lens in my bag. Need a focus tuneup?

Looking at your image it's hard to be sure but it looks to me like the focal plane is sitting around the second bird from the right and the navigation marker light on the left. Do you remember the focus point you selected and whether the camera has locked onto that point? I also notice what looks like some minor purple fringing in the lighter foreground in the lower left. I usually experience that with wider apertures and hence often softer rendering than the best a lens has the potential to achieve. Could this be contributing to what your're seeing? If so try using a tripod, stopping down to a smaller aperture and using live view to ensure you're spot on with your point of focus. This will help you assess whether you might have an issue with back/front focus on specific lenses.

I think it is likely that you may need to check for back/front focus on your lenses. Judging from comments made by many K-1 owners around here, there's been the need to do some focus adjusting on some or all of their lenses. Some of mine needed focus adjustment some didn't. I've worked with two different K-1 bodies and these were not consistent with focus adjustment for my various lenses. The second body has required far less adjustment for my lenses.

I guess something you might also consider is the change going from APSC to FF. A lens can be good in APSC and less so when going to FF. The only way to know for sure is remove the potential variable of front/back focus.

I look forward to seeing more of your images on the forum.

Tas