Show Printable Version Search this Thread

macro-flash
Posted By: I robert, 07-17-2017, 02:01 PM

do i need a macro flash to do great macro photos if so which one
Views: 1,869
07-27-2017, 08:30 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hornet Quote
Do you need a flash to take good macros? No. But your ability to capture sharp images with maximum depth of field at the lowest ISO setting will be greatly improved. Your best bet is a small, low-power (GN20) flash preferably with multiple power levels. This one is a good example. Setting the flash at a low power level reduces the flash time to thousandths of a second and effectively freezes all motion even at relatively slow shutter speeds. By using the flash off-camera and holding it very close to the subject you can set the aperture to f16 and the ISO to 100 for optimum DOF and picture quality. An added benefit is that the closer the flash is to the subject, the less harsh the shadows. You can also adjust the angle of the light to achieve more realistic and 3D look to your subject.

If you want to give this a try for cheap go to a used camera dealer, a garage sale (or ebay) and buy an old low power flash and PC to hot shoe cord. You will be impressed with the results.
ok THANKS

07-27-2017, 03:26 PM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you are working about it the right way, IMHO, by asking questions.

I too have a K 3 and the older model of your lens:

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro

optically the same lens I believe.

I would invite you (and others who may interested ) to look at this thread and think about joining us

( macro photography welcomed but not required, x posting is no problem )

Pollinators in action - PentaxForums.com
07-30-2017, 10:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Variables !
Lens - camera - light ..

So the short answer is YES !
The long answer is very involved ..
It just depends on those nasty Variables ..

Some of the best NON-flash macro images I have ever seen were taken with some rather large lenses .. ( 500mm )
Obviously combined with a beefy tripod .
There is only one rule to remember when it comes to macro , there is no one way to macro - you do what works for you ..
Also remember the other side of the coin , if its not working - then it simply must be the wrong way ! ( The proof being in the pudding )