Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Few Wildlife and MAcros n landscapes
Posted By: hrishi, 08-18-2008, 11:18 AM

I had visited two wildlife sanctuaries in drought prone areas of Maharashtra, India..Didn't get much time for photography as it wasn't the purpoes of the visit, but managed to get few keepers.. Kit carried was K10D, Kit lens, Super Macro Takumar 40/4, K300/4..

All macros- f16, 1/180, ISO 100, Built in flash, handheld..

A group of Blackbucks, f4, 1/750, ISO 400, handheld..

A landscape panorama EDR with the kit lens..at 18mm, its not the best lens in the world..

C and C are welcomed

Hrishi

Last edited by hrishi; 08-18-2008 at 08:30 PM.
Views: 5,290
08-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Those macros are sharp. Like the panorama too. Maybe it is my monitor but the last two look the same to me.
08-18-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Very nice series... The Macro's are awesome... JIMBO
08-18-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Good work. The last two also look identical, to me

08-18-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice photos Hrishi, thanks for sharing
08-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #6

Beautiful pictures. Were the last three taken with K300mm?
08-18-2008, 08:37 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Slowpez, Jimbo, Jonson PL and TOm..yes the last two were identical, have reomved one of them..

Here are more..

As I started photography just 6 months ago, I feel very much satisfied with the images.

08-18-2008, 10:38 PM   #8
Damn Brit

Very nice shots, there are some really good ones. I really like the first macro of the rose and also the last macro.
What kind of post processing did you do on the landscapes?
08-18-2008, 11:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The final series of landscapes are well worth printing.. Awesome skies and foreground.... Thank you for sharing such great shots. JIMBO

PS: alos another great series of Macro's
08-19-2008, 06:13 AM   #10
JMR
Veteran Member

I like your work, some superb images. However, the images appear to have some off colour manipulation, in the purple-magenta area, and appears grainy. Is that deliberate in post processing, or is it a function of high ISO?

JMR
08-19-2008, 09:04 AM   #11

Original Poster
I'm glad that you liked them.

Skamaraju,
Yes the last ones were ccaptured by the 300/4..

Damn Brit,
I don't do much PP, just last week learnt about HDR..however, what I really did in the above landscapes is
1. shot them in RAW
2. Using a free s/w RAW Therapee, I made 3 copies of each imag at +2, 0 and -2 EV
3. Generated an HDR in Photomatix Pro (which I had downloaded via torrent)
4. Tone mapped the image in such a way that it apperared as real as Poss..
5. If still it looked unreal, then merged the HDR image with the original correctly exposed image in Photomatix, result surely looks real and significantly more DR is achieved.

It is not an HDR technically, just an EDR (extended Dynamic range) as it was shot from a single RAW file..

JMR,
No, I didn't intend that magenta. What I think it is that when I make 3 copies of the image n generate HDR, it increases noise and CA areas of the image. I think this won't happen if you capture multiple shots instead of a single RAW file (though I'm not sure)..Also, in the 2nd last landscape where it is evident, is shot at 18mm with the kit lens- not the best combination. I feel I really stretched the limit of the kit lens and also of the RAW file

I've been doing macros for a month or so and I'm pretty comfortable with them, but the landscape- It was my 1st time on the field..(as in special attention for landscapes) also, 1st time I used a telephoto to shoot mammals. Earlier I used to complain about the insufficient reach of the 300/4 for birds, but now I realise its sufficient for mammals..the deers were 300ft from me..of course, i did crop the telephoto images to some extent..
08-19-2008, 09:12 AM   #12
Banned

I really like the photo of the 'paddle plant'. I have one of those here at home, where I have experimented with similar shots.
08-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
I like your work, some superb images. However, the images appear to have some off colour manipulation, in the purple-magenta area, and appears grainy. Is that deliberate in post processing, or is it a function of high ISO?

JMR
I also like the work. Do you do this processing with all your images? I can see the same shifts in the magenta in many of them and a shift in the green/yellow area as well. It takes away from an otherwise excellent shot.
08-19-2008, 10:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Very nice images and great macro shots too.

marcus
08-19-2008, 10:27 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I also like the work. Do you do this processing with all your images? I can see the same shifts in the magenta in many of them and a shift in the green/yellow area as well. It takes away from an otherwise excellent shot.
You noticed it in 'all the images' or the landscape images? I did this pp to all of above (3 of them) lanscape shots..As I said, I learnt this HDR thingy only a week before and this was the 1st time I tested it out on field..
One more thing- they aint real panoramas- just cropped them into panaoramas..

The macros- I crop (some times to get more magnification as the lens isn't a 1:1), resize them after which they get sharpened by default (Irfanview)..

The Deer shots, in additoin to cropping, sharpening and resizing, I did tweaked the contrast and saturation..

If you have noticed the shift in the deer imags, I think its because of the high ISO and sharpening (again, I'm not sure).

Hrishi

P.S- I'm glad you like the images Peter, when I was new n apprehensive about buying K10D, you had wrote in a thread "Now go get the camera and send us a ton of images of your beautiful country."
Well here they are! and God willing, many more will follow!

Last edited by hrishi; 08-19-2008 at 10:40 AM.