Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
A few XG-1 images
Lens: NA Camera: Pentax XG-1 Photo Location: My back yard, and Algonquin park ISO: 100 
Posted By: normhead, 07-20-2017, 07:40 AM

Released in 2014 this camera seem to have been lost in the myriad of similar camera offerings from other brands Among other things it has a 52x zoom, face and smile recognition, a 30 FPS burst rate for 4 MP images, an electronic viewfinder for use on sunny days when you can't use the back screen and can provide you a histogram in the viewfinder should you choose to turn it on. A sort of Sony A9, only 3 years older.

Mine was ordered second hand from japan and came with 3000 shutter actuations. For what i paid for it's simply an amazing camera, in the Pentax tradition of amazing image quality but less than average auto-focus etc.

Here are a few sample images,

Standard hanging around with the family type images.

Landscape and sunset images....

And the thing that this camera offers that as far as I know can't be achieved with any other Pentax gear... extreme telephoto (1250mm FF equivalent) images.

400mm

1250mm

Small flower macros

Normally these images would have been taken with a K-1 or K-3, a standard lens, a macro lens, a medium telephoto and a really long telephoto weighing 15 pounds at least. This camera fits in my pocket, and weighs less than most of my lenses.

It does everything, but it's frustrating. More details here.

Pentax XG-1 - Pentax Compact Digital Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Last edited by normhead; 07-20-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Views: 926
07-20-2017, 11:48 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Considering the 1/2.3" sensor, those look great, Norm.

A few sharpening artefacts and detail smudging (which pretty much goes with the territory in this class of camera), but only if you look closely for it.

Surprisingly good. Nice colours, too
07-20-2017, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Considering the 1/2.3" sensor, those look great, Norm.

A few sharpening artefacts and detail smudging (which pretty much goes with the territory in this class of camera), but only if you look closely for it.

Surprisingly good. Nice colours, too
You aren't going to confuse these images with K-1 images when you make full use of the K-1 resolution and Dynamic Range, but for just hanging out at a campsite and other images that don't make a lot of demands on the camera they are as good as you are ever going to need.
07-20-2017, 10:36 PM   #4
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Excellent ( varied style ) images Norm. Have you tried the 1 cm macro yet? I have the X-5 ( XG-1 predecessor ) and find it a very good little camera for just recording ordinary snaps. I keep mine in the car for those " just in case " moments. Fun to play with. Enjoy.

07-21-2017, 04:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Excellent ( varied style ) images Norm. Have you tried the 1 cm macro yet? I have the X-5 ( XG-1 predecessor ) and find it a very good little camera for just recording ordinary snaps. I keep mine in the car for those " just in case " moments. Fun to play with. Enjoy.
The macro function really has focus issues, and the 1cm is only at the widest FL. It's useable but it will try your patience. A tripod makes a big improvement. But the loss of the tilt screen from the X-5 makes it not nearly as good a macro camera.
07-21-2017, 06:40 AM   #6
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice Norm; are you sure you aren't trying to start that debate over equipment vs the photographer again? I think you are weighing in heavily on the man, not the equipment being most important, with the proof being these shots.

Nice review also. Love the charging dog!

Last edited by SSGGeezer; 07-21-2017 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Add comment
07-21-2017, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Very nice Norm; are you sure you aren't trying to start that debate over equipment vs the photographer again? I think you are weighing in heavily on the man, not the equipment being most important, with the proof being these shots.

Nice review also. Love the charging dog!
I'm always weighing in on that issue.

I'm actually both quite impressed with what you can get with this camera, and equally impressed with how hard it can be to get it. The varying focal length, with different minimum focussing distances, the habit of jthe AF jumping off subject as the shutter button is pushed, the inability to go manual focus and just shoot, in all you work really hard with this camera to get telephoto or macro images. But in true Pentax fashion, the IQ if you succeed is awesome.

A few more shots from the last few days.

The macro function is annoying, but you can make it work.

About 100mm seems to wrk well for macro work.
07-21-2017, 01:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My birding buddy uses a canon 6?x bridge camera and a new model nikon bridge camera and they both do some great work . I was not aware that pentax had a bridge camera of recent vintage . Your work has been much appreciated . Thanks for many posts .

07-21-2017, 03:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
a canon 6?x bridge camera and a new model nikon bridge camera and they both do some great work . I was not aware that pentax had a bridge camera of recent vintage
Pentax uses another company to build the XG-1, I wouldn't be surprised if Canon and Nikon do the same. My daughter has been looking for a real camera to take the place of her smartphone camera and even though the market for compact cameras is a fraction of what it was 5-10 years ago, there is still a dazzling variety of options available.
07-23-2017, 06:29 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
My birding buddy uses a canon 6?x bridge camera and a new model nikon bridge camera and they both do some great work . I was not aware that pentax had a bridge camera of recent vintage . Your work has been much appreciated . Thanks for many posts .
I guess that depends on whether or not you consider 2014 "recent".

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Pentax uses another company to build the XG-1, I wouldn't be surprised if Canon and Nikon do the same. My daughter has been looking for a real camera to take the place of her smartphone camera and even though the market for compact cameras is a fraction of what it was 5-10 years ago, there is still a dazzling variety of options available.
This camera has made absolutely no impact on the photographic world. I'm guessing the great number of better options from other companies is responsible for that. However, one of the Amazon venders had a second hand one. The good thing about not being very popular is the second hand price is less than we spend at some restaurants. The issue for me with the 52x and 1250mm max. is you really need those long lens skills to take advantage of it. And no real macro photographer is going to put up with the"Flower/macro? function for long. It's definitely not a working camera, more an "opps I didn't bring the right camera for this shot" camera.

I would be reluctant to suggest it to a beginner. The fact that the firmware is still 1.00 suggests the product line was killed fairly soon after release. Especially given the amount of improvement needed in close focus operation. MY guess is that is something that could have been addressed in firmware were Pentax serious about continuing the line.

But for the price, I'm delighted to have a fall back system for unexpected opportunities. It will be a great glove box camera. Certainly the best I've ever owned.