Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
Lava Flow - Volcanoes National Park
Lens: smc PENTAX-D FA Macro 100mm Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Kamokuna, Hawaii ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/50s Aperture: F4 
Posted By: klh, 07-21-2017, 05:11 AM

This is the episode 61g lava flow entering the ocean at Kamokuna on the island of Hawaii at sundown on June 26, 2017.

Last edited by klh; 07-21-2017 at 05:42 AM.
Views: 603
07-21-2017, 07:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spectacular... A sight that is still on my bucket list!
07-21-2017, 11:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
very nice! was just there in May but didn't take that hike. Now I regret it.
06-05-2018, 05:45 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
This is the episode 61g lava flow entering the ocean at Kamokuna on the island of Hawaii at sundown on June 26, 2017.
Awesome!

06-05-2018, 11:45 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would love to see that in person. Great shot and thank you for sharing!
06-06-2018, 12:09 PM   #6

Very cool composition!
06-06-2018, 06:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spectacular sight...a triple WOW ! (that's as high as it gets). care to share a little more about how you got there, the hike conditions, ….strenuous, moderate....doubt it would be easy ???? and so on. I will be there in October and hope to do a day trip to the Big Island to see this.
06-10-2018, 04:29 PM   #8
klh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Spectacular sight...a triple WOW ! (that's as high as it gets). care to share a little more about how you got there, the hike conditions, ….strenuous, moderate....doubt it would be easy ???? and so on. I will be there in October and hope to do a day trip to the Big Island to see this.
The trip wasn't too hard. It was a half hour bike ride, then a short hike to the viewing area. I took my tripod, K-3, and DFA100/2.8, and took a lot of photos as the sun went down. The lava became more visible as it got dark. This was the same view 40 minutes earlier.

But none of my information is going to help you. As I understand it, this lava flow stopped several months ago. This area and the park is no longer accessible with the month-long eruption and series of earthquakes that are going on. Hopefully by October things will settle down and you will get to see some good views.

Keep track of things here. What's Going On With the Volcano? - Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

06-10-2018, 04:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
The trip wasn't too hard. It was a half hour bike ride, then a short hike to the viewing area. I took my tripod, K-3, and DFA100/2.8, and took a lot of photos as the sun went down. The lava became more visible as it got dark. This was the same view 40 minutes earlier.

But none of my information is going to help you. As I understand it, this lava flow stopped several months ago. This area and the park is no longer accessible with the month-long eruption and series of earthquakes that are going on. Hopefully by October things will settle down and you will get to see some good views.

Keep track of things here. What's Going On With the Volcano? - Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Thankyou, appreciate that. every little bit of info helps.