Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 90 Likes Search this Thread
8 Likes  
Come with me and enjoy wildlife,landscapes and some cities of South Africa
Posted By: traveler57, 07-24-2017, 04:02 AM

What a beautiful and diverse country.
And it's really a truth, when another person says: "When you come to Africa and you get the virus in your body, you'll be back as soon as possible."
This is how it happened with us. Since 2013, we visit this beautiful country for the third time.
The first time we started our trip from Cape Town, drove along the coast from the Garden Route and spent 5 nights near the Kruger NP.
The whole trip was self-booked, - flights, hotel, B & B and the car for our self drive.

And believe me, there are so many places to discover things and nature, there that would suffice for so many journeys.
For us Europeans, it is always impressive to be able to experience this wide range of landscapes.

So again, my invitation to discover this country.
I will not always appear in chronological order.

But now, we are starting ,- January 2013

1. Amazing view: from the Table Mountain, down to Cape Town City

2. Another Place : on the way to the Cape of Good Hoop

Cape of Good Hope - Wikipedia

Look to Hout Bay, from the Chapman's Peak Drive

Chapman?s Peak Drive ? Wikipedia

Views: 10,203
11-29-2017, 10:16 AM   #46
Veteran Member

What a fascinating series of photos. All are magnificent.... very intriguing. I'm especially drawn to the close-up of the leopard and the Cape buffalo. Can you tell me what camera and lens you used for those shots?

11-29-2017, 03:16 PM   #47

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
........of the leopard and the Cape buffalo. Can you tell me what camera and lens you used for those shots?
Of course I can serve with the information.

Leopard :

CaptionOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAMakeOLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.ModelE-510
SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.1 (Macintosh)
Exposure Time0.0016s (1/640)Apertureƒ/5.6
Exposureshutter priority (semi-auto)ISO equivalent800
Exposure Bias+1.30EV
Metering ModeMatrixFlash FiredNoFocal
Length
300.0mm 601mm=35mm equivalent
Exposure ModeManualWhite BalanceAutoFocal Length (35mm)601
LensModel70.0-300.0 mm f/4.0-5.6
Date2013-02-25 07:23:24 (no TZ)
Lens70.0-300.0 mm f/4.0-5.6

Cape Buffalo : lens Sigma 150-500mm F 5.0-6.3 DG OS HSM or see contribution #43

MakeRICOH IMAGING COMPANY,
LTD.ModelPENTAX K-3
SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.4 (Windows)
Exposure Time0.0020s (1/500)
Apertureƒ/8.0Exposureshutter priority (semi-auto)
ISO equivalent 800
Exposure BiasnoneMetering ModeMatrixFlash FiredNo (enforced)
Focal Length 500.0mm 750mm=35mm equivalent
White BalanceAutoFocal Length (35mm)750
Date2015-02-08 07:36:05 (no TZ)
11-30-2017, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #48

Original Poster
Leokwe Camp - Mapungubwe NP

Leokwe Camp - Mapungubwe NP
Leokwe Camp: 3 nights, selfcatering, 1 booked drive

It was the best house we had at the Sanpark reservations.
Big, spacious and equipped with everything.
Only a nice table on the terrace was missing (there are all Sanparks camps), - the table in the house was so massive and heavy that we saved the daily transport.
The park is very easy to explore for yourself and offers a large circuit.
With a treewalk on the river, beautiful viewpoints, rock formations and the higher part at the entrance.

a White fronted bee-eater

Unfortunately, there are a few paths / routes through this area, there is one, but it is closed to guests.
On the edge, to the east, there are two 4x4 ways, which we also drove on a sunset drive.
Since at the end of January / beginning of February few visitors were in the park, the drive was a private tour for us.

That was a little insight from the first morning.
With the drive in the late afternoon it goes on .....:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A phenomenon in between .....

Until it goes on, still a supplement and supplement to the first places.

During our visits to the Marakele NP, as well as on the way to the Mapungubwe and further to the northern part of the Kruger, we were struck by the masses of white smaller butterflies that repeatedly crossed the streets in flight.

After learning the details of this phenomenon from Dave, we tried to dodge the swarms as best we could.

A little crazy, what the background knowledge with one makes and its behavior, as well as possible, changed.

We experienced a part of the big migration of the butterflies that came from the Cape region / Namibia, on their long journey to Mozambique, to fly on to Madagascar.

Considering how small and light the animals are, this is a tremendous achievement.

I have found little information about it:

2x here:

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/B…esburg-20140112

http://www.wildlifesouthafrica.com/blog/…in-south-africa

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our guide, after the first "sniffing", was visibly motivated to spend some great hours with us.
He tested our knowledge here and there and was very impressed by our basic information.
So it was a very enjoyable drive.
In addition to the close sightings, we are always amazed what they have good eyes.
He saw things that were so far away that even with binoculars or the big telephoto lens, we had trouble discovering the animals.

Baobab, - Trees without annual rings, the age is estimated so, 1 m trunk diameter are about 100 years, - and the bark contains a lot of water, which in turn attracts the elephants and this can eat the bark and fibers.

Time for the photo enthusiasts, - 500mm, Cropfaktor 1.5 = 750mm and of which a 70% cut -
We really had trouble to discover the animals at all, - our guide had discovered the elephants without aids,
- that there were still giraffes, I saw only here on the screen.

The 4x4 routes were then u.a. the highlight of the drive.
One way led us through dense bushland to hidden waterholes, in search of rhinos.
Narrow and muddy roads we drove and in two places he himself had so his trouble to move the Toyota through the soggy ground forward.
- After this experience, this route was canceled from my planning for the next day.
- Just too lonely, without the necessary experience, alone, that was just too dangerous for me.

also a back can delight

At least I did not expect that we would see them here - Oryx Antelope -

The second 4x4 loop went down to the river.
First a steep gravel road from the plateau down into a grass pan.
Then it went to the river, where it was again very muddy.
So also this way of our program, as a selfdrive was canceled, - unfortunately.
If you had found someone who would have come with me as well, then I would have dared to at least loop.
As mentioned above, the park is very scenic and the number of animals varies greatly, as the area is open to Zimbabwe and Botswana.
Only the water levels of the rivers - Shashe and Limpopo- separate the area from high water levels.
Thus, large herds of elephants can easily "invade" the area.
We saw some elephants, many giraffes, kudu, zebras, wildebeest, and much more.

no rock hyrax (Procavia capensis) it's a yellow-spotted rock hyrax or bush hyrax

a jackal at his dinner

Landscape, of course we find also......

A special feature is after the drive, which one still has to return to the house about 15 km from the gate.
You are allowed to drive, when it is otherwise forbidden - in the dark, something else.

Thus, a successful day had come to an end, - on the evening there was no braai, but "canned food" and wine

12-05-2017, 05:47 AM   #49

Original Poster
the last day in Mapungubwe NP

10 in one go ....

The last day we went again, the circuit and were stopped by the river.
The day before we had already driven the way, - now came us in front of the "mud piece" a safari car against the completely dirty.
Over and over splattered with mud.
The driver looked as if she had just jumped out of a chair.
The two guests on top of the car were pretty clean.
She explained to us that she did not get any further at the ford because it was so greasy there.
It would have sprayed then .... as we saw.
She would also have blocked the passage with the log, that lay there and informed the park office.
What now ? - First of all, we looked at this.
So drive the 1 km further. Well, the tree trunk blocked the way, it did not look any worse behind it than the day before.
Also, I saw no traces of the safari car on the way.
Everything very strange.

Transit from the day before with a hammer head

Our goal was of course behind it.
Turn around and come all the way back and from the other side?
We decided not to try and chose the detour - good 20 km .....

So we drove up to the park entrance, then the ways of the previous evening,
discovered on a section of the 4x4 way, a giant Bustard, unfortunately,
the disappearance was so fast again that there are only four pictures (series shot) have become blurred.
At the bottom of the river, we saw large groups of impala, wildebeest, zebra and warthog.
Everything in a cloudy sky.
At the ford, the tree beyond was cleared to one side.
Again the question, drive through or back up again.
We drove the safe route and took the opportunity to drive a few small loops.

Without much success.

The late afternoon we spent at the viewing platforms

Directions to the camp, - the last "meters"

The small pool, - not so clean, even the tables nearby were covered with tablecloths, - it was very dirty,
- leftovers / bottles / packaging plastic were so comfortable on the tables, as well as on the floor.

Our house was cleaned every day and was spotlessly clean.

Conclusion to Mapungubwe:
The "detour" was worthwhile, very nice houses (a table outside, which is otherwise available in all Sanpark accommodations, was missing ...), peace, great location.
The park is well suited for a 3 night stay.
For Birder too, at the right time. The drive was great - for us
A little planning is necessary, as there are no shopping opportunities in the immediate vicinity.
The "shop" near the entrance, was closed, keys and staff, there was at the Museeum entrance.
The offer, what we saw through the disc, was very sparse! (Late Jan. - few visitors)
Also always keep a close eye on the tank contents of the vehicle, as the nearest gas station, no matter in which direction, is about 40 kilometers away.
All this, including the approach we had chosen (the alternative route would be via Musina), should not scare you to visit the Mapungubwe NP.

We were only in the eastern part, since the drive to the western part, but too complicated was (40 km one way).

12-07-2017, 05:54 AM   #50

Original Poster
Mapungubwe - Musina - Pafuri Gate ( Kruger) - Shingwedzi Rest Camp ( 3 N )

We left early the next morning.
On the R 572 we went to Musina.
Potholes in the lane were also here, but no comparison to the approach from the west and is a (better) alternative for the approach.
You also noticed, that you are very off the main routes.
Little traffic that was already glad that a chameleon was on the street.
Well camouflaged certainly not a good place to stay.
A rather strange bridge construction site had to be passed on the way to Musina.
That was it until shortly before Musina, when everything changed again.
Musina is a border town, very busy, noisy, uneasy, so my wife bought the most needed in saving.
I stayed at the car. Refuel and continue.
In Musina on the R 508 and then on the R 525 to the Kruger.
All right to very good roads.
But even here was a bridge in the construction, the diversion was short, but wet and very muddy.
In one place and only there! - There were 4 stalls on the street, one with wood carvings, one with vegetables and the others with some fruit.
We bought some mangoes, - the prices for each fruit were slightly scratched in the shell.
The price was, then negotiated, okay.
The stalls were so startling, and with the spontaneous decision to buy something there, I did not look in the rearview mirror when I slowed quite sharply to turn around.
Only at the last moment did I see the car come behind me and hiss past us.
It was a police car, well, there's something behind it .... It did not come after all, but it had been in short supply.

The cows / goats on and on the road were then getting used to in the last few kilometers before gate again.
Whether it was the seclusion or was there really a "shortcut" to the park entrance?
My offline - sat nav on the smartphone, suddenly wanted to send me from the well-developed road on a gravel road.
But we stayed on the main street.
At the northernmost park entrance of the Kruger, the Pafuri Gate, registered accordingly and a short time later it went into it.

The adventure Kruger, - the north-south crossing could begin.

The main camp in Shingwedzi was our first destination.
Registration at Pafuri Gate was quick and easy.
Also we had let us in Mapungubwe the latest data, whether the roads were passable.
In our own sanpark forum, a few days before our departure had been reported, which are closed in the north of some roads and bridges, because of heavy rains and concomitant high flow levels.
But everything was open again.
So we drove on the H1-9 in the park and continue the H1-8 south.
The first animals we saw were ..... no Impalas but Nyalas.
Dense bush was left. and right. to see the street.
It went briskly at 50 km / h. Farther south, the terrain opened a bit.
Here and there in the distance was once an elephant to see.
The 50 km / h are quite fast, to briefly recognize something, I experienced a little later.
Only briefly I took something brown / yellow. Slowed down and slowly back.
"Was there something?" my wife asked. "Let's see," I said.
And rightly I was not mistaken, from the tall grass a head looked out from a lioness.
That started well!
Right in position and the camera from the back bank raided, windows down and what happened ...?
Exactly, the lion got up and turned and walked behind a bush.
She was gone.
Behind it, hidden in the tall grass, something moved, something we hardly could
2 young lion children could make out. The mother animal remained hidden.
So we drove on.

We drove through large, low bush and also wide grass areas.
Every now and then a few ostriches, and loners of horror.
But also miles without apparent animals.

Shingwedzi Camp:

We reached the gate, parked in front of the reception and went in, filled out the registration and got the key.
So far so good.
Arrived at the house, a tree in the middle of the parking lot in front of the house and a curb in front of it, which had it in itself.
Where should the car go now?
Back to the reception, then got the key from the neighboring house.
The houses are very new (newly rebuilt after the flood in 2013) and chic.
Outdoor kitchen, fridge inside, -some little space in the house for the suitcases.
Otherwise very good.
As soon as we had everything in the fridge, the electricity was gone.
As it turned out were cable work in progress, - took about 2 hours.
How, meanwhile, we went to the big pool and enjoyed it.
The camp is already big and not fully developed.
There is also a larger camping area.
When the camp is fully occupied, it is already tight, so it was very quiet and contemplative at around 34 degrees a day.

In the evening dinner in the camprestaurant overlooking the river, - where the markings were visible, how high the flood levels in 2013 and then again were.
A few days before a tidal wave had gone through for about 2 days and had come up to the wall.

The area around Shingwedzi was varied, densely overgrown in many places.
Some roads and loops were completely closed, on a street was worked with heavy equipment.
So the route selection was a bit limited.
Also, the gravel roads on the rivers and their lookouts were so overgrown that it was not worthwhile in many places to stop there because of the lack of visibility.

In short form times the distances that we drove in the 2 full days. (possibly Kruger cards):

http://www.krugerpark.co.za/Maps_of_Krug...-the-north.html

1st (S134 in the morning, part of the S 56, which was not locked, H1-7 back, afternoon H1-6 continue S52, etc. Red Rocks)

2. (H1-7 north-S58 to-H13-1 Punda Maria - S99 loop driven - H13-1, - H1-7 back - Afternoon S 50 until after the Dam.)

Here's a book recommendation, for those planning a Krugertour:

The book: Kruger Self-Drive: Routes, Roads & Ratings (English)
- I've looked at it more closely and is really good.
Here in Germany a bit cheaper than in SA (around 5 euros) and while we're at it.
I still use the book "Bushveld" by Lee Gutteridge ("used", but newly purchased very favorably over the gr. River) and now bought,
"Game Ranger in Your Backpack" by MeganEmmeft / Sean Pattrick,
that was again a lot cheaper in SA.
Both books complement each other perfectly.

The trip to Punda Maria was rather disappointing.
Once, two roads were blocked in front of the camp, which we would have liked to drive.
Second, we did not like the camp at all.
It looked very old everything. Whether that continued in the houses, eludes our knowledge.
We just took a short break there and drove the long loop around the camp.
Very dense, with little visibility and open spots.
Towards the end there were places that were more open.

Our conclusion for Shingwedzi:

Houses very well, - pool a dream, - if few guests are there, animal sightings well, what the biodiversity was, - view partially very limited, because overgrown -, very many sections of the riverside roads, loops and mountain roads were closed.
Stay 3 nights, were ok for the area.

....and thus the "departure" from Shingwedzi.
The move was not very long the next day, it went to Mopani.
Of that more in the next part .....
12-09-2017, 02:58 AM - 1 Like   #51

Original Poster
Von Shingwedzi nach Mopani.....

First we drove the main road to Mopani, then we took the Old Mainroad south.
Gravelroad driving was announced.
We discovered two elephant cows with offspring right next to the path at a water hole.
Beautiful in the sun.
Actually ideal for good photos, it would not have been very quick to see a certain lack of relaxation in one of the mothers.
A good 20-25m as the crow flies separated us.
There was no time to put the camera in position, because an animal launched a fake attack, without any further warning.
I stepped on the gas pedal to bring us a few feet from the "danger zone".
Turn around and return again?
The animals were still standing at the water hole, something hidden behind bushes for us.
The one elephant cow was still very excited, so we renounced the motives and drove on.
High grass on both sides of the road, little animal sightings, until suddenly my wife cried "brake !!!"
I went to the iron and saw at the last moment, one snake in front of the car.
After the view in rearview mirror and wing mirror I had not caught her .......
It had come so fast from the grass from the left, as I had probably just looked to the right and flitted over the gravel that she was not in my field of vision.
Even the little brief moment was enough to visually record it.
At 1 m long, ventral side bright, back and side a light brown.
Since we still ran such a line across the way and I could even document the photo-technically, we speculate then later, what that was for one.

# Picture through the windscreen ..... you should avoid if it is somehow feasible .......

From far we could later sight antelopes on the route.
When we came closer, there were no impalas but a large group of lyre antelopes.
A nice change.
The fresh elephant shipment on the way was well attended by many smaller yellow butterflies.
We wanted to get ahead and so I thought, later you will see them again and then you take a few shots of the fluttering animals.

Something fundamental for such situations, - if it is so interesting for a photograph, then do it now! - and do not move it.
In the afternoon and the following day, the dung was always to find, only the butterflies were no longer there.

I was not feeling well that day - somehow my stomach did not let the dinner pass in the direction of the intestine and decided without warning to get rid of the contents.
After that I was able to have normal breakfast and was able to handle it well.
Nevertheless, I was not really fit.
So we arrived at 11.45am in Mopani.
We described the situation and we were able to get the key at 12.30.
So we drove on to the conference room to enjoy one hour of Wi-Fi.
After 9 days off-line to have direct contact with our children again and what was even more "important".
To "divorce" our new Kindle. The covers of our books were all there mand at home, the Paperwhite also indicated that everything was synchronized.
Just without content! - I had not checked. So 3 -4 books were drawn.
In the meantime, I got the house key and then drove to our house, which should now accommodate us for 2 nights.
Look at the full dam. Nice location.
Outdoor kitchen and fridge also outside.
For security, we always turned it around to the wall after our experience from 2015 in Olifants.
Warnings were not found.
As I said, moved in and then I rested for a good 2 hours.
After that I felt much better.
Tea / Coffee, Rusk and we set off for our Sunsetdrive.

We did not want to go that far anymore and so we cruised to a "Pan" - a big wide plain, as it turned out.
On the way there a few Cape buffalo ahead on the road.
Coming closer, we then saw that they were guards.
Before we knew it, we were almost in the middle of the fray. Buffalo to buffalo moved past us in the bushes to cross the road in front of us.
Finally, a gap opened and I slowly rolled forward and through.
That had been great.
To the "pan it went down something, laterally a water pond, a few zebras here, a buffalo, - behind a higher water reserve, artificial about 3m high ring, about 10m in diameter.
In front of us a large grassy area with bushes and trees behind, 2 streets that went off here.
To the left of us a huge plain, treeless, green of the grass and ...... elephants so many! - at different distances.
We made at least three groups and one group came from the right to it.
Well over 80 animals we counted in the late afternoon.
We rolled to the fork to get a better view.
Always keeping an eye on the new arrivals.
But they were so relaxed and passed us completely calm in a pleasant distance for both sides.
The large animals withdrew the fresh water from the ring well, where they put their trunk over the edge and from the other side took the wet.
It was fascinating to be there and watch everything.
A large safari car was added, we rolled on, ostriches and zebras were also present, 2 elephants got into a fight and went to each other.
A showdown, a bed, a gag and a clatter as the tusks met.
Unfortunately, the action took place only at the beginning of well visible, as I stood correctly with the car, they pushed further and further into the bush and were then very much covered by the branches and trees.
After a few attacks, the situation calmed down again and a certain distance to each other brought a further reassurance.

We drove the one way still, without sightings.
Turned around and peace had returned to the wide terrain.
Many elephants had moved on and disappeared.
So we went back to the camp and we went to the dinner.

12-12-2017, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #52

Original Poster
Mopani - traveling a lot -

The next morning we drove the Shongololo Loop with little success.

Waterbuck with a bent-off ear

Black- bellied bustrad

high gras....

So we changed to the east side seen from the main road.
Again, hardly anything, ... .. until we came to a similar place as the day before.
Also a water hole, as well as a ring well and a wide open grass level around it.
Zebras, wildebeests, lyre antelopes and ostriches in loose groups.
At the waterhole then suddenly air traffic.
Next to the ducks came one vulture after the other.
There were more and more. Added to this was a species of vultures.
They took in water.
After about 20 minutes, the big birds started again, looked for the right thermals and circled in the air, then scattered in all directions.
Again, 10 minutes later and all animals were gone, the sky was empty ....

A good location - as it turned out - to be in the right place at the right time ... ..

On the way back to camp at lunchtime, we saw a few loners of the great greys.

The drive in the afternoon led us again in the area, without significant sightings, also in the hinterland, nothing exciting happened.
A few elephants, each standing alone, almost apathetically, by individual trees, with their heads pressed into the branches.
Dozing or to find some protection from the sun?
Except for a few zebras, there was a yawning void on the pan, where so much life had been the day before.

--- not eating! - but so standing and not just one, there were 3 or 4 animals that showed such behavior, very strange?

That was then Mopani for us,
it continued after a restless night, - a honey badger said he had to check all the garbage cans in the neighborhood and with us ...,
- next ..... Satara.

Conclusion for Mopani:

The camp, with house and restaurant we liked quite well, - the view of the water from the house was great,
although as well as no animals in and on the water were to see (due to the high water level?)
The area around Mopani was much more open, with many expanses of grass to the east of the camp.
We found that, after the dense areas around Shingwedzi, more pleasant.
In retrospect, a stay of 3 nights would not have been bad either.
From other travel reports, the region is described as low in animals, we did not have the impression, despite the very few sightings on the Shongololo Loop.
Having the luck to be in the right place at the right time proved to be impressive here. !

- also a guest at the house .... -

---------- Post added 12-12-17 at 01:21 PM ----------

After the disturbing noises in the middle of the night, we looked in the morning more exactly who had been that - in the morning at 4.00.
Everything was in place, - if it had been cleaners?
A camp employee came and brought the new laundry.
We asked then, - a slight grin crossed his face.
"No, no, no one works so early from the staff, that was certainly a honey badger who was looking for something edible"!
Ok ...
We packed the car, left the camp, not forgetting to throw the house key at the gate into the box.

the early bird.......

first or second breakfast at the bar .....?

Continue to the south.
Elephant groups crossed our path, which is always an experience,
when some of these big animals secure the road
and the family group in the middle safely crosses the street.

Passing Letaba, we reached the exit to Olifants, - briefly considered and bent.
Olifants was a highlight of our trip in 2015.
We looked from the restaurant to the Olifantsriver, - still beautiful, though no animals were seen.
But not so much the WOW moment, as at the arrival in 2015.
Unfortunately, it was very overcast at lunchtime, so the light was bad, but very warm.
We fortified ourselves and filled up our fluid balance properly.

The sighting card at the exit stated that wild dogs had been running around the camp for 2 days.
That would be it ...., so we made a detour and drove into the area, unfortunately without the hoped-for success.
Back to the camp and back to the main road.
There only a short distance, then turn right and follow the Timbavati road.
That was the track where we had seen really great things in 2013 and 2015.
Unlike in the previous areas, it was here or even after Letaba, much drier.
The grass was brown and not nearly as tall as it was to the north.
Some animals, zebras, wildebeest, elephants, buffalos and big birds, including a very large group of marabouis,
were seen standing in a river.
But even here, not really a thrilling sense of discovery came up.

At the intersection where, we leave for Timbavati rest area,
we left without the visit, took the S127 to the main road, and then to get to Satara.
We had been here for a short time in 2013, - stop for a snack, - at that time I did not like the camp that way.
It is just very crowded, the food is so bad, you can hardly relax there.
Despite Mugg & Bean as operator.
We moved into our house, simple, older from the outside, inside ok, narrower than in the other camps, but for 2 nights ok.
We drove enough for the day, so we went for a walk through the camp, the pool was so......., it was loud and busy.
So we made ourselves comfortable at the house and watched the bustle of the animals outside the fence.

Dinner at the Mugg & Bean, food good, ambience rather dark, as hardly any light over the tables, - no table lighting!
Partially, the other guests sat at the table, reading their menus with their mobile phones or recognizing the food on their plates.
A NO GO !! : Thumbdown:
The food was good.

At the African bedtime, we retired to the house.
Here we wanted to go early, the next morning, on tour.

---------- Post added 12-12-17 at 01:36 PM ----------

What a start in a day.....

The next morning, - Satara is indeed, according to many reports, as a cat area, - it is repeatedly mentioned the S 100 here.
We wanted to go there - if I was not really awake yet or if the morning fog had also clouded my attention.
I do not know - at least I turned in the wrong direction .....: blush:?
After a few kilometers, I noticed my mistake, turned around and back in the other direction. : Thumbsup:
Finally we reached the branch. In short, the fog had cleared quickly, the sun was strong and no trace of cats.
But the track was very nice.
On one side of the river with a great stock of trees, beautiful viewpoints and the other side of loose bush and grasslands.
After driving through the ford, we met an elephant bull on the other side.
And he was "not amused", that we wanted to use the track as well.

- back on the other side, - after a good 200 m in reverse .....-

Who gave in? -
We .... a lot of the way back, backwards, through the ford and we waited, whether he wanted to chase us further.
He turned off the stream and gave us the way.

The highlight of the morning was a group of the black Hornbills.
- Southern Ground Hornbill. Stately birds! - and quite rare.
The birds are on the "Red List" for endangered species.
Sanpark would like to know where and when someone saw these animals.
Unfortunately, I can not find a suitable page / link where you can enter this.
Lazer in Bergal en Dal, I saw a poster with a link, but I forgot to photograph it.....

A large group of elephants rounded off the morning trip.
Well, a few antelopes, giraffes and ....., were still there .....

The breakfast was then on the terrace, watched by the meerkats, - which was then chased away by a camp employee, who took up the daily fight with animals with a duo.

Only their presence was enough, the animals took off.
Some attempts by me or the neighbors, only minimal success had been achieved.
The animals retreated by a few meters at the most.

Last edited by traveler57; 12-12-2017 at 05:45 AM. Reason: double sent
12-12-2017, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #53
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for another dose of inspiration We're off to South Africa in about three weeks. Will be good to get a break from the cold and the darkness of home!
12-18-2017, 06:59 AM   #54

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
We're off to South Africa in about three weeks
Enjoy your time in South Africa ... and we take off at the end of January to Cape Town......
12-18-2017, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #55

Original Poster
After the drive is before the drive - morning round .....

Well-fortified, we went on to the next trip.- S90- S41- H6 and back.

a look back .....

Grass, grass, grass, as far as you could see, the S90 down - Where were the animals, sometimes two zebras, sometimes a wildebeest, - Animals on holiday ???

Continue on the S41, at the junction a group of very shy zebras, - on, then suddenly a loud twittering around us. Everywhere in the trees,
weavers nests, the weavers frantically shouting, large groups flew excitedly about.
Great to look at!

A little further on, we spotted our second snake ahead of us on the street.
No escape behavior, as we came closer to the car.
With the same speed she crawled on, without rushing into rush.
By the time the car was right, the head was almost in the grass.

Extract, - for the determination the blur was just enough.
It was a Mozambique spitting cobra .... just like the first snake we saw.
The striking drawing under the neck, made the provision for the professionals easy.
But I can do without direct contact with this species.

Mozambique spitting cobra - Wikipedia

Bird bush

In N'wanetsi we made a short stop. It was hot out there, very hot, so we drove back to the Camp.

Satara afternoon and a surprise in the evening

Refreshed, drunk and eaten, a bit rested and we started the afternoon drive.
The map previously studied well what the route went on.
Then extrapolated with an average speed + sighting breaks, - should go well, we are back in time at the gate.
My wife is more concerned, that we are "over-punctual" back.
I'd like to spend a bit longer out there to get the better light.
But during the most beautiful time of about 17.00-17.30 on, you can not be so far away from the camp.
18.30 is a goal and it will be punished if you are late!
A roadblock of elephants can make you sweat a lot and let the time go by.
And that does not count as an argument that you missed the closing time !.
(but we never had this in our last visits - but we heard about it, from other guys, that can be happen !)

It went on the H7 - direction Orpen, from there to the S36, - beautiful dry gravel road, very sandy or rocky.
Animals ....... ???
Except for the big hornbills, which we had already seen on the early tour.
Distance between the two sightings, about 30-35 km, so if it was the same force?

Technically and scenic a nice tour, because of different vegetation.
On the Sweni road S 126, a few antelopes, one, two single elephants, sometimes very densely overgrown.
In the open areas, the grass was eroded and very brown.
Many corrugated iron sections on the piece.
Visually very nice, with few animals.

In time we were back - good 40 minutes.+ Food and then sat on our terrace.
A piece next door was grilled and when the neighbor went to his grill
and shone with his flashlight around, I suddenly saw between him and the fence green eyes light up. He did not get that.
What was that, not small, not big enough for a big animal, - but what was that?
I grabbed my LED light and walked carefully in the direction.
A shadow, it moved, the eyes reflected the light, but my lamp was too weak for the distance.
So even closer.
My wife: "Do not go too close, who knows what that is"! :?:
Meter by meter, I groped my way forward, sandals on, - hopefully no other animals in front of me in the grass and the branches .....
At last the light intensity was sufficient - it was a cat - a gray with black stripes and shades, high-legged.
An African Wildcat, - despite the bad lighting situation, beautiful.
- There was a lot going on in my head.
How dangerous are they?
Stay here and watch, or quickly go back and get the camera. The cat was so calm and relaxed, but went on slowly, - ok -get the camera.
So I went back, with the cat in view, which went in the direction of another barbecue, camera caught and gone in the direction.
She was lying on a tree, less than 4 meters from the other guests, marking the bush as I came closer. -also a hangover.
A woman had watched me and came in and lit up her.
But even with the two lamps, it was not enough, which could focus the camera.
It was the K7 that had the short lens. - with the K3 would have gone.
Shit happens ! - and to focus manually, I did not think about the moment.
One, two minutes later she disappeared in the dark ....... Great experience and experience!

So still a cat seen in Satara!

Conclusion: Satara

Satara had not been considered in the beginning, but since the distance from Mopani to Berg-en Dal was too long for us, only one night had been planned.
Finally we hung another night here.
It was good from the area. From the house also.
Otherwise, not necessarily a place where I would feel comfortable in the camp for longer.

Next station: Berg -en Dal

12-18-2017, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #56
Veteran Member

Thanks for the great travel diary.
That is a very long route you took through the KNP from top to bottom. Looks like the sky was overcast with lots of cloud, so you didn't always have the best light to rely on.

You where lucky at Satara that the restaurant was still running. We visited the KNP for a week in Oct on a fly-in and rent-a-car trip to mostly in the southern regions (camps Pretoriuskop; Skukuza; Crocodile Bridge; Satara). Very nice overall, but both the restaurants at Satara had suddenly closed and there was a dispute between the Park authorities and the restaurant concession holders over rights. So no ready made food which we had planned on. The camp reception said that the standard had gone down.

Fortunately the camp provided us with cooking utensils as I have not booked a self-catering chalet, and we enjoyed a delightful fire-cooked meal from the camp-shop which was well stocked. And sampled some fine South African red wine to wash it down.
12-18-2017, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #57
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for yet another capture in your travelogue. I know how much work goes into making such a thing! You won't regret the effort in the years to come, though

QuoteOriginally posted by traveler57 Quote
Enjoy your time in South Africa ... and we take off at the end of January to Cape Town......
Thanks! We're looking forward to it, although it's so hectic these days that we hardly have time to think ahead!

CT end of January sound wonderful - haven't been there since 2009!

QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
And sampled some fine South African red wine to wash it down.
That tends to remedy most incidents
12-18-2017, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #58
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Traveller 57
What a wonderful travelogue of South Africa, just spent 2hrs reading and viewing
Armchair travel at its best
thankyou

Dave
12-19-2017, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #59

Original Poster
Satara - Berg-en Dal Restcamp

waiting for the daily heat .- a Lapped faced vulture

The last stage was now on our north - south route through the Kruger National Park.
The same ritual as in the days before, showering, having breakfast, packing and off we went.
Throw the key in the box and set off in full expectation.
Today no gravel roads and no detours.
First goal Skuskuza.
Not knowing what the day should bring.
With the main direction south, we once again crossed the most diverse terrain forms.
Wide flat areas, then hilly again, rivers nearby.
Here and there, a few antelopes, buffalo at a waterhole, sometimes an elephant far away or denser.
Until we came to a place where I perceived from afar movements on the opposite bank.
A little reddish brown moved there, big. Elephant?
Coming closer and now with a clear view, we could hardly believe it at first.
Rhinos and then two. There were White Rhinos .
At last we had seen her.
For the whole days before, whether in the Marakele, Mapungubwe and the whole time in the Kruger,
we had seen rhino dung, which also looked very fresh, but never the animals to it.
The greater was our joy.
We watched the two colossi as they rubbed against the tree trunk and rubbed the horn on it.
What great animals! - who are killed so mercilessly.

Not verified: Rhinos from the northern part of the Kruger are supposed to be injured. spent in Hluhluwe NP.
I do not have the official numbers of the killed rhinos in the Kruger ready.
But it is probably in the hundreds, - just MADNESS!

But continue.

We left the two.
Barely 2-3 km further on, some cars stood on the road and blocked the passage.
Slowly we rolled up.
The eyes went to the right, as well as the camera lenses of the safari guests on a car.
What was there to see such exciting?
We discover an elephant in the riverbed.
Was that really the reason why everyone parked so wildly?
The car in front of me drove away and I could push into the gap.
As we drove by, we asked the driver what she had to see.
A leopard lies on a tree branch across the river.
We could move on a bit further.- and searched.
Finally we saw a silhouette on the thick branch in the shadow.
Technically a horror.
Rather like a paper cut, the body stood out in front of the bright, overcast sky in the background.
My wife then said there are two leopards on the branch and right, there were two shadows moving on the branch
The heads were clearly visible.
"Mind games" bothered me, - "How do you take that so that you see something more than just black bodies?"
With different settings I hit the trigger of the camera.
On the one hand, I was happy that we were lucky enough to see two animals, albeit a long way away.
On the other hand, I "cursed" the conditions.
Bad light, animals in the dark and no way to get closer.

Crop 80% 500mm at Aps 1.5 = 750mm / Aperture 11 ISO 1600 ISO 800 was possible at Aperture 8 - tried Aperture 8-14 / ISO 800 -3200

Thanks to the raw format and the editing on the PC with Lightroom, this came out of it.
Certainly not perfect, but more than I expected.

The recording has more to do with reality.
Since the animals first lay on the thick branch, they were one with the tree.
As they moved, they became clearer.
The distance to the tree was about 60-70 m - without a big telephoto - that would have become nothing.

At some point, despite some active movements on the tree we had to continue.
What had been exciting the last couple of kilometers?
Before Skuskuza we had a small group of elephants close to the road.
Before the camp, it was then still in light rain showers over two bridges.
We drove to the camp, but not as busy as at lunchtime,
when all the safari tourists come back for lunch.
A small snack was ordered, the free wlan wasn't working :-(( , but the break was good.

Then it went on.
A few minutes later, my wife discovered a kudu goat standing on a rock.
For me, the animal had been hidden by a bush.
Braked the car and slowly back.
The buck stood, really "cheesy and clichéd" like a stature on the rock.
Almost "unreal"

Suddenly in the middle of the recordings drove from behind a car in between, "what a ...... ,
I thought.
The kudubock jumped off the rock and was gone.
The disc from the other vehicle was lowered down, - "Did you see the lions?"
"No, where are they?"
"Back to the intersection and to the left, about 2 km ... .. on the left, right on the road in the grass."
We thanked and turned around - we had come from the other side and turned off before.
It was a little further, but the place was not to be overlooked, because there were some cars.
All standing in the opposite direction. So we drove closer, rolling made a few bad shots.
Turned around to join us in the waiting vehicles.
It was getting closer.
Only the two best-looking vehicles did not move.
Waiting for 20 minutes, I had taken some shots from my lateral position, - then we drove on.
The lioness was fast asleep and did not move, the lion guarding her, dozing, but lying upright.

We had the BIG FIVE together, and that was not all.
Back on the road , after 10 km, another hyena ran in front of us - far away, but clearly recognizable, over the road.
Arrived at the place, - small bridge over a small dry stream, she was unfortunately no longer to be discovered.

Wow, what minutes and last hours!

Registration was easy in the camp, key collection and move into a brick house.
Quite different from the architectural style, as in the other camps.
Very large in size, large interior kitchen.
On tour again?
No, it was enough for the day.
After a break we went to the pool, - Chic and quite large. The water felt strange.
Also, it was not clear.
It shimmered silvery, suspended matter - lime flakes? - clouded the water, - the pelvic floor was in places greasy, dark.
Algae? - We only stayed in the water for a few minutes, - "do not get sick of it now ....!"

So we enjoyed the sun and the warmth at the house.
Dinner in the evening, same operator chain as in Shingwedzi and Mopani.
The food was ok.

BERG-EN DAL RESTCAMP and around:

Morning to noon .... a lot of road, - here and there some sightings

On an exploration tour in the morning.
Near the camp we went on a gravel road and on which it went quite up and down. (Matjulu loop)
The hoped-for leopard did not show up.
For this we came a little later on sleeping trees of vultures.
Most had already started and were looking for the updrafts to gain height and to forage.
We were 10-20 minutes late to witness the full spectacle.
Some animals were still sitting around.
One of them sat perfectly and I waited for his departure, waited and waited? ..
He shook himself and moved more, looking after his conspecific, but remained rooted to his seat.
The camera and the big telephoto lens became heavier and heavier.
Do not drop off, then he's going to fly? ..
Second by second passed, nothing happened, - rather relaxed the bird.

# come on .......

No, better not .......

I was on the wrong side.
We waited some more, but then drove on, -?
Stupid bird? !

At a T-branch, left. or right
Left hand it went to the loop?
Steep mountain? - Warning sign on potholes!
What the hell, let's try, if it gets too violent we turn around.
It was not bad at all, although some nice steep sections, but everything was mobile.
Many traces of rhinos, without a sighting.
On the other side, at the foot of the mountain, there was a bit more life.
A short way north on the main road and we turned east.
A gravel road along an almost dry river we drove along.
At some point, my wife saw a movement in the bush on her side - far away.
With the binoculars she discovered three rhinos, mother / child and a bull.

Scenic, the tour was on the one hand not bad, streams were crossed, animals were "in short supply".
- Impalas, 4 Kudus 2 x 2, a Elephant Bull, later a group of four, some birds of prey, warthogs, 2-3 zebras.
At the crossroads that connects Crocodilbridge and the Malelane Gate, it was so badly drivable,
that we made a planned detour to the area around Lower Sabie.

Back then it went to the camp, it was enough for the day.
In the late afternoon we went part of the cam trail and enjoyed an ice cream

Nice, chairs not very comfortable and in front of the falling marula fruits, you had to be careful.

---------- Post added 12-19-17 at 02:55 PM ----------

The last game drive in the Kruger NP.

It was time now, our last full day in the Kruger started.
Breakfast was early but not taken very early.
Then we drove north.
A large impala herd blocked our way for a while, until it could go on.
Once again a new route, that led directly to Pretorioskop Camp had been our destination.
The Voortrekker Road.

At the fork in the road, there is a rest stop on the other side.
There were plenty of safari cars, that took their break from morningdrive there.
That should only be right, maybe not so much traffic on the way.
After that, some cars rolled past us.
Then there was some peace.
We drove over a hill and came around a bend, the road slightly sloping and what we saw far ahead ......
Wild dogs on the street ..
Stopped and made a few shots through the windscreen.
Better safe than sorry !
Then I moved the car diagonally, - and the animals came towards us, and there were more, as again and again, Wilddogs came from the shoulder and the
changed from one side to the other .
Great !

But the idyll then came to an end quickly.
There were three safari cars on the other side.
Such a crap !
They also headed straight for the group.
Equal are the way, I thought.
But oh no wonder, they stayed and kept moving towards us.
I drove to my side and soon the dogs were in front of our car, more and more dense ... ..
Then they were around us and the safaris too.
Something had to happen in front of us on the car, as the guests' cameras were fully aimed at the front bumper.
Everyone grinned, even the guide.
I was so fascinated, still with my elbow out of the open side window,
when suddenly a wild dog was standing by my door.
Our eyes met and I caught up with my arm slowly and closed the window in half, for sure.

What an experience, - the troops / dogs and safaris then left and we continued on our way.
Happy about this sighting.
The next meeting followed a few minutes later, when another car stood a bit diagonally on the road.
Our eyes went to li. and re. to find out what they discovered.
But what, was there ????
Still rolling, the driver indicated that we should stop! - and pointed with a finger in front of us on the street and took her camera.
I did not see anything, neither did my wife, so we put something back.
Now I recognized the reason for the attention -
it was a chameleon, which was standing in the middle of the street.
I would most likely have overlooked that on my own.

So we made some shots and drove it with safe distance.
Since it did not move at all during the time, I wondered if it would not have been better
to put it on the side of the road to make it "safe" despite the ban on leaving the car in the park.
There remained a stupid feeling in me for a long time.
At least my senses were sharpened to pay more attention to the road ahead of me.
Two buffaloes were then very interesting, because they were eyeing closely, and then crossing the street.
In addition to the changing landscapes, we then had a nice lizard in front of us on the road until we reached the Pretoruiskop Camp.

At Wimpy we had our second breakfast and then continue on our way.
We drove the H1-1 visited a water hole and then later came to H3, which we drove south.
A detour to the H2-2 followed, to return to the camp via the S114 / H3 / S110.
On the way there were also lions. Unfortunately, so hidden in the tall grass, about 10 meters away.
Except for the brown-yellow skin, which shimmered through the green, there was nothing to see ....
Only the tourists in a large, high-quality touring coach had the exclusive look.

- that was the conclusion, just before the camp,
- unfortunately so absorbed in the food intake that it did not want to lift his head .......

That was it, unreal that it was over, our days in the national parks in the north and in the Kruger.
Sitting on the sunny terrace, we reviewed the days.
Reminded us of many impressions of the parks and encounters with the animals.

Later it was time to pack things, at least that, for an early start, only the most necessary work still decency.
Food for on the way was prepared.
The few foods that were now superfluous we left there, as well as the rest charcoal.
Everything was prepared, it could start early.
Our longest stage was on - about 600 km to Saint Lucia.

Conclusion: Berg-en Dal

Quite different than in the other camps, larger rooms, stone houses, everything somehow quiet.
The camp is a bit off the beaten track and you have to drive a few kilometers to get a larger selection of routes.
It had been a good choice for our graduation from the Kruger.

Conclusion of the Kruger days:

After 10 days in Kruger to give a conclusion is really difficult.
Because, so many subjective impressions would be included for a rating that should be fair.
In addition, it's all snapshots of the experience, which makes it even more difficult.
Therefore, my more general rating.
With the accommodations we could everywhere be satisfied and would recommend me so on.
Whether the bungalows with the "better view" must be in Mopani and Satara, everyone has to decide for themselves.

On the subject of food:
Braai / self-catering for the evening
- Visiting a combination of the house food and the restaurant is probably the best solution for the number of nights.

Itinerary and sightings:

In each camp minimum 2, if necessary stay 3 nights to have enough time for drives, without being in a permanent time pressure.
It is worthwhile in any case to drive the north-south route.
The different scenic impressions are already enormous.
It was very green to our travel time, the higher seating position in the car, was therefore a clear advantage.
In the north it was very quiet at the beginning of February in the camps and accordingly also on the roads.
The blocked routes and loops were annoying, but after the rains in the days before, probably necessary.

For the sightings, I have written a lot in the posts.
It was like this - does not have to be like that again .......
(The variety of species that we saw was enormous, - we are technically spoiled on the other two trips.
This was particularly evident on this trip, which was light, weather and location / view of the animals)

We were now for the third time in the Kruger and in the adjacent area (2 x Balule West) on the way.
It was always nice and every time different.
Go exploring in new areas,
We liked it very much.
Routes we had traveled before and had great memories,
were rather disappointing (the expectations are simply too high, even though the mind tells you
that it can not be like it used to be! )

For nature lovers, not only for the Kruger, the more time I have, the more relaxed I can feel.
It would be better to stay in one place longer than to rush on a daily basis.

What we would definitely include in a new travel plan, would be a combination of selfdrives and booked safari tours in a game reserve.
The offers in the Kruger in this regard we did not like so much , because a "mass of people" was moved and if that then also meant "class" ??

The long trip ......

After a quiet night, most of the things we had packed the night before, there was a small breakfast.
All the things were spent in the car so we left the camp early in the morning.
The Malelane Gate was only about 15 km away.
A few gray goodbyes from the Kruger were granted to us.
Unfortunately no leopard anymore.
At the gate, we had a very nice guard who congratulated us on our "long" visit to the park.
"Oh, so long and what's nice, you come back, again?"
Our response pleased him and he salutedat our exit, as if we were "special" guests.

There was some melancholy in the next few kilometers, memories of the last few days resonated.
The last glimpse into the park and our concentration was now about 600 km to Elephant Guest House.

In advance, we had a lot of thoughts on how we should tackle the long trip and wanted.
Two years earlier, we were coming from the south, after the Tembe NP, two nights on a farm near the Swaziland border.
At that time we drove through the Swaziland to Komatipoort.
The pure distance would have been a lot shorter if we had chosen the route again.
At the reception, we had obtained information.
The very nice staff recommended us the way, which should not lead through the Swaziland.
Road conditions should be good to very good on the SA route.
We opted for the longer route in SA, as the time savings would only really be effective,
if everything went smoothly at the entrances and entries and vice versa.

And what was the main reason for our choice, that was, that this route to Pongola was new territory for us.
So we went to the tour, quickly it went ahead.
On Sunday morning early there was little traffic on the streets.
Especially when we drove from the N4 to the R38 it was empty.
Very scenic and the roads in a really good condition.
Through valleys, over heavily wooded ridges and wide grasslands on a high plateau, everything was there.

How fast the landscape changes can be seen in 3 videos - which document the period of about 20 -25 minutes driving time!

Really a very nice area, although on a section we noticed signs on the side of the road, which urgently warned against the take-off of anholding.
On the high plateau, there were several billboards and driveways.
Which pointed to farms, lodges and guesthouses.
We are always fascinated by how different South Africa can be.
We love it! : Saflag:

The trip was without major incidents.
We quickly advanced.
From Pongola we knew a short part of the route, then the following kilometers we took quickly from the "clock".
It was really hot out there.
The outdoor thermometer will soon show 40 degrees - that was in 2015 as well.
To the left and right of the lane quite dry, withered, brown dusty areas that belonged to game resorts.

Approximately 40 km before Saint Lucia, a refueling stop at 41.5 degrees and wind, as in a hair dryer .......

Quickly on, - shortly, around 2.15pm, we were at the guesthouse.
Right on the house parking lot, - we knew each other.
Rum around the house to the main entrance and from Ciska and Albert we were received.
During a refreshment in the garden the formalities were quickly done, some new things, in and around the house, discussed.
Innovations in the bookable excursions and what has changed in the center since our last visit, explained.
The keys to the doors we got and so we moved our stay for the next 4 nights.
Relaxing at the pool and in the evening in the Ocean Basket the day with delicious fish dishes end, were then announced.

Whether the long "ride" is the right thing for everyone? I do not know.
If you can get up early, drive long hours without a break, then yes.
But if I want to stop here and there and need several breaks, then it can be very long.
That was ok for us - because we included it in our tour planning.
On another trip, in whatever form, would be a stay on the way for 1-2 nights again in question.
There are enough possibilities for this.
12-20-2017, 05:12 AM   #60

Original Poster
iSimangaliso Wetland Park - without animals it doesn't work ......

iSimangaliso Wetland Park

The weather forecast for the days looked very modest.
The next day should bring the best weather until Thursday.
So the decision was not as difficult as we wanted to spend the time.
ISimangaliso Wetland Park and Cape Vidal should be.
After breakfast we started, covered and a bit of rain, that's how the day started.
After the somewhat longer and bureaucratic entrance into the park we drove off the loops,
unfortunately some of them were closed, because they were repaired or modernized.
What was open was enough to get some safari feeling.
The white rhinos were nice to see. Some other things too ...
The park is very different and unbiased, each park has something for the eye.

The weather was getting better and better, it ripped open and was sunny on Cape Vidal, with a light breeze.
So we sizzled in the sun and relaxed.
I went swimming in the waves and then we retired to the shadows of the temporary pavilions, that were freely available.

After three o'clock we had enough and drove back slowly.
Not without driving the long loop for us - good 26 km north of the main road.
Partly a plate way on the first kilometer and also in a section as in a ravine,
very nice and something different.

- time for smaller things.-

Viewpoint .- on the long loop

CAPE BUFFELO CROSSING included.

# 2 Buffalo came from the left, - noticed us and moved a few meters backwards ....

At five o'clock we were at the exit, and we had made good use of the day!

St. Lucia - not always on tour .....

Tuesday it was then very cloudy, a bit of drizzle, then dry again - so we strolled along the main street and looked into some shops
and came out mostly loaded again.
Lunch visit at the Ski Boat Club, - was not our thing.
In the afternoon relax by the pool, read something, communicate with home.
The dinner again in the fish restaurant.

-- before visiting the Ski Boat Club, a few more steps over the boardwalk, with no crocodiles nearby.

Gifts from the market stalls - once again delicious

The time passed so fast ....

Although we had previously considered whether, we wanted to repeat one or two trips. (like 2015)
The Nightdrive with Shakabarker was very well booked, the HippoTour, the weather was only on the last day really good for it,
but only half an hour before the boat departure so developed.
Again in the Hluhluwe? Get up at 3.30, departure at 4.00 - that did not have to be after the 16 days in the NP.
So it remained with the short excursions.

- houseguest -

Fishermen instead of sharks .....

Beach section St. Lucia

brave, - as there are also sharks in this area, - as seen by our son in November 2016

We watched the water and the waves during the beach walk.
But were not lucky to see a triangle fin.

-- license control, - the couple, who was fishing here, had everything with them --

A beach visit on the last morning and a very relaxing afternoon in the garden and pool, we liked it much better.
The last evening we were back in the Ocean Basket, after we had eaten the evening before, in Braza.

Not necessarily the typical St. Lucia stay, but pure relaxation for us.
On a detailed conclusion I renounce for St.Lucia, since we have been here before, no special excursions had booked
and our accommodation was just as good as our stay 2015.

We got our breakfast a bit earlier than normal.
To be sure to start early enough to the airport in Durban.
Our farewell to Ciska and Albert had already taken place on the late afternoon of the previous day, which was very cordial.
Albert was suddenly at our car, when we wanted to go, again a very kind heartfelt gesture.

We had planned a little more time for the return of our vehicle, there was the puncture from the beginning of the journey.
Although the airport was not that far away (a little more than 200 km), it did not matter.- unlike the long tour days before.

No controls on the way, the gas station at the airport was also found quickly, full tank and off to the delivery of the car at Bidvest.
A somewhat obese staff came and asked if everything was ok.
"Yes," I told him, "except for the tire."
Shortly I explained what had happened to us and he tried to look at the repaired tire.
That there was a tire, he probably was ......
I had to fill in the office, a claim and that was it.
Everything was faster and easier than expected.

-- around the 3700 km we were driven with the Nissan, the consumption was around 9 liters of diesel per 100 km --

So we were very early in the check in, which was open and where we was without
problems with our luggage, checked in at Kulula Air...
With a little delay the rather new Boeing 737 took off to Cape Town.
Where we landed almost on time.

Our last destination, Somerset West, was almost reached, - 6 nights in the Cape region formed the conclusion of this trip.