Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Milky Way - First time at astrophotography
Lens: sigma 50 1.4 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Queensland ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F1.4 
Posted By: FreeSpirit9, 07-24-2017, 04:22 AM

First time at astrophotography, not perfect I know, any suggestions greatly appreciated . Cheers . ps 20 sec on shutter speed.

Views: 586
07-24-2017, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FreeSpirit9 Quote
any suggestions greatly appreciated
That's a good start mate, and with the lovely clear skies we're having at the moment things are ripe for getting out as much as you can. I was just admiring the stars from my front verandah, they are so clear tonight even though I'm in the suburbs. I reckon a trip away from the lights would present you with some spectacular star shot opportunities.

I'm in Brisbane and have captured the Milky Way in the area around Boonah. It's a good place to get dark skies without travelling out into the woop woop. Not sure where you're located but if you're in the South East that's a good palce to start as is Somerset Dam. Plenty of dark skies to be had and the travel time is quite reasonable. I'd recommend a trip down to Hastings Pt in NSW too, but they're filming a movie down that way for a couple of months so that might not be too good a choice. Having said that though another spot just south of the border is Norries Head at Cabarita Beach. It's about 5km closer than Hastings Pt and the headland provides a nice elevated spot looking east for images earlier in the evening.

Here's a link for some Milky Way inspiration and info: Into The Night Photography and a link for the deep space stuff: Deep-Sky with Your DSLR - Astrophotography - Sky & Telescope

I look forward to seeing more of your astro work mate.

Tas
07-24-2017, 05:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
That's a good start mate, and with the lovely clear skies we're having at the moment things are ripe for getting out as much as you can. I was just admiring the stars from my front verandah, they are so clear tonight even though I'm in the suburbs. I reckon a trip away from the lights would present you with some spectacular star shot opportunities.

I'm in Brisbane and have captured the Milky Way in the area around Boonah. It's a good place to get dark skies without travelling out into the woop woop. Not sure where you're located but if you're in the South East that's a good palce to start as is Somerset Dam. Plenty of dark skies to be had and the travel time is quite reasonable. I'd recommend a trip down to Hastings Pt in NSW too, but they're filming a movie down that way for a couple of months so that might not be too good a choice. Having said that though another spot just south of the border is Norries Head at Cabarita Beach. It's about 5km closer than Hastings Pt and the headland provides a nice elevated spot looking east for images earlier in the evening.

Here's a link for some Milky Way inspiration and info: Into The Night Photography and a link for the deep space stuff: Deep-Sky with Your DSLR - Astrophotography - Sky & Telescope

I look forward to seeing more of your astro work mate.

Tas
Thanks Tas, and Thanks for the link. We're up here in Bundy and don't have the issues with the city lights. We're planning a night trip to the beach for some nights shots. Will post more in time. Enjoy the nice weather we're having. Cheers mate, Frank.
07-24-2017, 06:08 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that is an excellent shot! For the first time, I would be thrilled to get something as good as yours! Looking forward to more from you!

07-24-2017, 08:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

That's a very good start. The K5 will easily handle an ISO of 1600 without significant noise. The stars in your shot are slightly fuzzy. Stopping down a couple of stops will sharpen them up nicely. I'd suggest trying an ISO of 1600 and f2 aperture as a starting point and adjust from there. Youtube has a number of videos on post processing that can improve night sky images. Just search Youtube using the keywords Milky Way and post processing. The really good news for you is that the galactic center, the brightest part of the Milky Way, is starting to rise over Oz. It should peak around the end of January in the southern hemisphere, providing some spectacular images in the coming months. Again, nicely done!
07-24-2017, 01:50 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I think that is an excellent shot! For the first time, I would be thrilled to get something as good as yours! Looking forward to more from you!
Thanks CSA Cheers
Frank

---------- Post added 07-25-17 at 06:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
That's a very good start. The K5 will easily handle an ISO of 1600 without significant noise. The stars in your shot are slightly fuzzy. Stopping down a couple of stops will sharpen them up nicely. I'd suggest trying an ISO of 1600 and f2 aperture as a starting point and adjust from there. Youtube has a number of videos on post processing that can improve night sky images. Just search Youtube using the keywords Milky Way and post processing. The really good news for you is that the galactic center, the brightest part of the Milky Way, is starting to rise over Oz. It should peak around the end of January in the southern hemisphere, providing some spectacular images in the coming months. Again, nicely done!
Thanks gifthorse, Will take your advice. Looking forward to getting sharper images. Cheers Frank.
07-24-2017, 08:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

That is a pretty good first effort!

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
That's a very good start. The K5 will easily handle an ISO of 1600 without significant noise. The stars in your shot are slightly fuzzy. Stopping down a couple of stops will sharpen them up nicely. I'd suggest trying an ISO of 1600 and f2 aperture as a starting point and adjust from there.
I think some of the fuzziness you have in the stars may be due to the rotation of the earth, you are seeing the beginnings of star trails. To counter this you need to use a shorter shutter speed or use an astrotracer.

Google the rule of 600 (or 500 depending on who you ask). In short, divide 600 by your focal length to work out the maximum shutter speed in seconds you can have without getting star trails. In this case 600 divided by 50mm which equals 12 seconds.

A good solid tripod and a remote shutter release will also help to avoid any camera shake induced fuzziness too.
07-25-2017, 02:55 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike L Quote
That is a pretty good first effort!

I think some of the fuzziness you have in the stars may be due to the rotation of the earth, you are seeing the beginnings of star trails. To counter this you need to use a shorter shutter speed or use an astrotracer.

Google the rule of 600 (or 500 depending on who you ask). In short, divide 600 by your focal length to work out the maximum shutter speed in seconds you can have without getting star trails. In this case 600 divided by 50mm which equals 12 seconds.

A good solid tripod and a remote shutter release will also help to avoid any camera shake induced fuzziness too.

Thanks Mike. Appreciate your advice.

Just been out again, and this is the result.

Thanks to you all for your advice and encouragement. Cheers Frank