Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Whale encounter
Lens: 55-300 plm re Camera: K-70 Photo Location: Conception Bay Newfoundland ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F4.5 
Posted By: jgnfld, 07-26-2017, 03:09 PM

Young humpback Minke (see comment below) came right up under the boat today. Seemed interested and turned upside down to look at the boat as it passed.

Even at 63mm it was hard to get the whale into the picture...

xposted to K-70 pics

Last edited by jgnfld; 07-26-2017 at 09:10 PM.
Views: 431
07-26-2017, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #2
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You did well, I think. It's a lot easier when they come to the surface, especially right beside the boat, like this Humpback did.

Last edited by Des; 07-26-2017 at 10:02 PM.
07-26-2017, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
jgnfld: It's a fully adult minke whale (Balaenoptera acutorostrata). They have a white band on their relatively short flippers (compared with the long wings of humpbacks, Megaptera novaeangliae, which, in the North Atlantic, have fully white flippers). As their specific epithet suggests, they have a pointy snout ("acute rostrum"), nicely shown in this photo. They're quite common in Newfoundland waters in summer, although they leave no visible blow to indicate their presence or the potential location of their next sufacing. With minkes, you're always seeing them out of the corner of your eye, unless they happen to surface right where you're looking.

Last edited by pete-tarmigan; 07-26-2017 at 06:41 PM. Reason: omission
07-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
jgnfld: It's a fully adult minke whale (Balaenoptera acutorostrata). They have a white band on their relatively short flippers (compared with the long wings of humpbacks, Megaptera novaeangliae, which, in the North Atlantic, have fully white flippers). As their specific epithet suggests, they have a pointy snout ("acute rostrum"), nicely shown in this photo. They're quite common in Newfoundland waters in summer, although they leave no visible blow to indicate their presence or the potential location of their next sufacing. With minkes, you're always seeing them out of the corner of your eye, unless they happen to surface right where you're looking.
Whoops...thanks!

07-27-2017, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
You did well, I think. It's a lot easier when they come to the surface, especially right beside the boat, like this Humpback did.
[pics clipped]
I have a number of such pictures as well. I found the one I posted above interesting and a tad magical, however, because of the softness brought about by the water. You can just see his eye looking up at the boat. Anyway, totally different effect.
07-28-2017, 02:38 PM   #6
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
I have a number of such pictures as well. I found the one I posted above interesting and a tad magical, however, because of the softness brought about by the water. You can just see his eye looking up at the boat. Anyway, totally different effect.
I would have said ethereal, but it refers to the wrong element. Your shot certainly gives a sense of elusiveness and mystery.
07-28-2017, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I would have said ethereal, but it refers to the wrong element. Your shot certainly gives a sense of elusiveness and mystery.
If you want "real"...here is a humpback pooping next to the boat!

07-30-2017, 08:17 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Even at 63mm it was hard to get the whale into the picture...
Fine image, but can't help thinking out loud..."You're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat".