Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Koala - on the ground
Lens: na Camera: Moultrie remote motion sensor Photo Location: Mosquito Creek, Queensland Australia 
Posted By: PJ1, 07-28-2017, 09:19 PM

As anyone who photographs knows, getting a decent shot of an animal just doing its thing in the wild is pretty rare. Koalas are generally up in a tree asleep during daylight hours. They come to the ground to move between feeding trees but it is rare to see them when they do. At this time of year they may move around a bit more because it is breeding season. I suspect this one had more than eucalyptus leaves on his mind. I could never be lucky enough to get a shot like this when I had the K-3 in my hand. The koala composed it nicely for me. He was gone from the frame for the other two shots in the sequence. It was a lucky shot from my trail cam - and one I doubt I will ever repeat.

Views: 871
07-28-2017, 09:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good catch!
07-28-2017, 10:58 PM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Very good photograph and story Pete. Well done on both mate.
07-29-2017, 06:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Just seeing one of these guys awake is a treat. Great capture.

07-29-2017, 02:53 PM   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Good catch!
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Very good photograph and story
QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Great capture

Thanks for the comments. In nearly fourteen years here, I have seen a live koala just three times (including this one - although it was the camera that saw it this time,). There are not very many out here, so I was pretty excited to fluke that shot.
07-29-2017, 03:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great timing on the shot.
07-29-2017, 03:35 PM   #7
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Great timing on the shot.

Thanks. I would like to say "You can't beat a motion sensor camera" but they often get it wrong - particularly the cheap ones that I use!

08-15-2017, 11:48 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Very nice capture- thanks for sharing!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-18-2017, 12:02 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Well done PJ1!
07-24-2018, 11:25 AM   #10
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
As anyone who photographs knows, getting a decent shot of an animal just doing its thing in the wild is pretty rare. Koalas are generally up in a tree asleep during daylight hours. They come to the ground to move between feeding trees but it is rare to see them when they do. At this time of year they may move around a bit more because it is breeding season. I suspect this one had more than eucalyptus leaves on his mind. I could never be lucky enough to get a shot like this when I had the K-3 in my hand. The koala composed it nicely for me. He was gone from the frame for the other two shots in the sequence. It was a lucky shot from my trail cam - and one I doubt I will ever repeat.

nice capture! really good one
07-25-2018, 11:34 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote

How cute!
07-25-2018, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #12
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
nice capture! really good one
QuoteOriginally posted by Photogoof Quote
How cute!
Thanks for commenting. When luck comes into it, you don't even have to be there holding the camera!